Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

lhd california

C

Chinny

hi just after some feedback on owning a lhd California, at the minute i drive a t5 kombi ,owned lots of vws nothing else really my t5 is kitted out rocknroll bed, smev cooker, ebespacer etc etc, I work away a lot all over Britain been camping in my t5 for 3 years now hundreds of nights away absolutely love it but ive also got three children and desperately crave a California ie roof, stand up oh the joy at the thought of it, cut a long story short im thinking of a lhd California mainly because theres more choice and slightly cheaper I think, has any body lived with a lhd day in day out any thoughts would be greatly received regards chinny

Don't think LHD's work out much cheaper, not when I looked.

T5WOB said:
i have had a LHD for about 6 yrs in uk love it to bits nicer dash then the uk vans .and more extras to . :thumb
I agree most have sat nav climate ,I like the look of the front blinds whats it like around town as I imagine motorways and duel carriageways wouldn't be much of a problem ,any advise on what you need to do to make it compliant with dvla ,any other info would be appreciated regards

reserves said:
Don't think LHD's work out much cheaper, not when I looked.
I agree theres not much in it but you've got a lot more for sale theres nothing around £20k ish in Britain at all cheers

Not sure LHD have higher spec is true - they are certainly more "spec-able".

Certainly there are improvements on the basic spec, most notably the front window blinds and higher quality dash.

However I think almost everything is an option on LHD, so you can get a much higher spec van, but if you don't tick anything then you can get a much lower spec van.

So when looking at LHD vans you have to check the van a lot more carefully, as some things that are standard on the UK Cali will have been an option. The most obvious is alloy wheels, but I am sure it is far more nuanced than that!!!

Obviously more choice is better, just don't assume spec is there.

T

Chinny said:
T5WOB said:
i have had a LHD for about 6 yrs in uk love it to bits nicer dash then the uk vans .and more extras to . :thumb
I agree most have sat nav climate ,I like the look of the front blinds whats it like around town as I imagine motorways and duel carriageways wouldn't be much of a problem ,any advise on what you need to do to make it compliant with dvla ,any other info would be appreciated regards

I think you would have to have headlights that dip to left rather than the right at least, can't think of anything else unless there is a separate approval document for it.
As Calis are sold here and it's an EU vehicle can't see why it should be a problem.
Worth checking before buying though.

The subject of whether the speedo needs a mph template is often discussed. Mine has, the dealers who import boast they fit them, but I've seen LHD vans past 10 MOTs without problem.

Front lights need changing (or did in T4 days).

The rear lights need to have the fog lamp swapped to the other side (which I think = new rear clusters).

Driving LHD is easy. Overtaking is a hassle when you've not got a trustworthy passenger (and particularly if you've only 101hp!)

Passing on narrow lanes actually works quite well, as the LHD can judge the nearside kerb really accurately, leaving the oncoming RHD to watch the mirrors.

T4WFA said:
The subject of whether the speedo needs a mph template is often discussed. Mine has, the dealers who import boast they fit them, but I've seen LHD vans past 10 MOTs without problem.

Front lights need changing (or did in T4 days).

The rear lights need to have the fog lamp swapped to the other side (which I think = new rear clusters).

Driving LHD is easy. Overtaking is a hassle when you've not got a trustworthy passenger (and particularly if you've only 101hp!)

Passing on narrow lanes actually works quite well, as the LHD can judge the nearside kerb really accurately, leaving the oncoming RHD to watch the mirrors.
cheers

briwy said:
Chinny said:
T5WOB said:

I think you would have to have headlights that dip to left rather than the right at least, can't think of anything else unless there is a separate approval document for it.
As Calis are sold here and it's an EU vehicle can't see why it should be a problem.
Worth checking before buying though.
cheers

Back