Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Liber-t for French Autoroutes

N

nickandemma

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello, does anyone know which vehicle class the California is please? I noticed last year we were charged different amounts for the same stretch of motorway! Thanks.

You should be class I light vehicle, see below, if you've got roof bars on that take you over 2 meters the auto detectors might push you into class 2 if this happens press the help button and say class 1 ! a couple of times with your best french accent & watch the toll come down.

Better still get the sanef tag & zoom through the under 2m 30kph toll lane without stopping.

Category

Types of vehicles

Definition

Light vehicles
classe01_01.gif

classe01_02.gif

classe01_03.gif

classe01_04.gif

classe01_05.gif

• - Vehicle with overall height under 2 metres and GVW not exceeding 3.5 tonnes
  • - rain with overall height under 2 metres and GVW of towing vehicle not exceeding 3.5 tonnes

Intermediate vehicles
classe02_01.gif

classe02_02.gif

classe02_03.gif

classe02_04.gif

• - Vehicle with overall height from 2 to 3 metres and GVW not exceeding 3.5 tonnes
  • - Train with overall height from 2 to 3 metres and GVW of towing vehicle not exceeding 3.5 tonnes

Forgot to say you can be charged different tolls depending on the time of day/ day of the week etc not just the vehicle class

Thank you. One more thing, we have a Dart-tag for the Dartmouth Thames crossing currently behind the rear-view mirror. I'd rather not take it down. Will it be ok having the Liber-t alongside?

But the Dart tag doesn't work anymore does it? its all numberplate recognition now the booths have gone.

Yes you're right andyinluton, it's just that it still beeps when we go through. I've just checked with them and they said to post the tag back to them. Btw, Sanef said we shouldn't have 2 tags on our windscreen as they can confuse each other.

Never had a problem with bikes on the rack, always been charged the lower rate.

FYI
If you have a Caxton FX card, you can get a Liber-t tag without the €10 fee.

Never had a problem with bikes on the rack, always been charged the lower rate.
That's good to know as just ordered a tag and likely to have bikes on a rack.
Didnt know about the Caxton FX offer (despite having one of the cards) but ordered via the Eurotunnel link/email they sent me. I needed to put in my booking reference.

Back