Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Liverpool, Wrexham, North Wales (Llandudno)

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I'm quite envious when I hear about all these good dealers on here! Our two nearest, Liverpool & Wrexham, showed no interest when we were looking for our previous Cali and didn't bother to return our calls. We ended up getting a 6 month old one from a Lexus dealer (who I couldn't recommend highly enough, I wish they sold Calis all the time).

Similarly, looking for Transporter size vans for our business met with disinterest from the same two dealers and we ended up with Transit Customs. I went so far as to complain to VW about them, who to their credit, did follow it up with a phone call and took a lot of time taking details.

Roll on to this year and Wrexham have lost the Cali franchise (wonder why?) ... so only Liverpool left. We were buying a Sportline off them for the business, and I asked for a PX on a new Cali. Zilch interest! Still waiting for a phone call. Is it me, didn't pass the interview I wonder? Too scruffy?

We found our present Cali at Llandudno (a nice brand new showroom but they have little knowledge of Californias), a pre reg with 16 miles on the clock. It was advertised at just under £50k and he gave us a px price for ours. After humming & ahhing we eventually left £500 off it - and as some will know we eventually sold ours privately on here. In the meantime we noticed the one in the showroom was being advertised for £52k, apparently they had made a mistake. When the dealer found out we had sold ours privately he said we couldn't have the new one for the £50k it had been originally priced at as that was a mistake and our Cali was the sweetener in the deal etc etc; and we would have to pay the £52k.

He now had our £500, so it was a bit complicated. In the end, we got a towbar out of him; and we were still getting about £6k discount, so we went ahead with it but still a slightly bitter experience. One thing was apparent, our Cali px was undervalued. I wouldn't say steer clear of Llandudno, but be wary of any px deal you do with them.

As regards Liverpool, if you are able to buy one off them (and I know there are a few on here) you are very privileged! (Or persistent ... :D)

We spoke to Liverpool first of all re a demo but they wouldn't shift much on the price so i asked for a quote on a new one i had specced, no one got back to me. However their sister garage at Preston couldn't have been more on the ball and won my order.

My dealer! I sold my Volvo directly so avoided the P/X deal. It was poor offer and I got £1500 more by selling on Autotrader, as it turned out to another dealer.

Similarly with the situation I'm in I did ask what incentive would he put on the table for the 140 manual (after taking it away!). At this point I have all the cards so I thought him completely ignoring the email was pretty astute. I have to say I like JB

We dealt with Kettering. Stuart was extremely keen to do a deal and has since proved very easy to liaise with and answer any (mostly mundane! ) questions after purchase.

We rang and visited numerous Vw dealerships in our search for a California and were astounded by the lack of response and general lack of interest in taking money off us, it was hard work to get someone to sell us a vehicle.
So don't take it personally, a lot of the dealerships treat everyone with disdain!
The same also applies to Vw car dealerships they are also hard work to do business with.

Ha, ha, I used to be a mystery shopper, this is fairly standard for VW. I'm scruffy too. Wrexham was particularly bad tho & didn't talk to me at all. Left...

We have been very happy with Llandudno, they were happy to negotiate and have dealt with the few warranty problems we've have excellently. These include water tank volume level not registering on display, fridge replaced and problem with cooker.

I don't know when you dealt with Llandudno but they did move from Pentraeth Automotive in Anglesey to junction also taking VW cars, Audi, Seat and Skoda but leaving most of the sales staff behind. At the time we tried to buy an Audi from them having previously dealt with Pentraeth, they were to put it bluntly shambolic and we ended up going to Cheshire Oaks. We have recently been back to Junction Audi and they appear to have got their stuff together. So perhaps VW commercial were suffering from the same bedding in problems.

I think though that the dealership may have recently been bought by a new company and we've not been there since that has happened, last month or so.

Last edited:
I was in there today, lovely lad talked to me plenty. Couple of technical details a bit vague on but think he's fairly new. Very keen and uses a VW camper himself so can't complain.

I need to get my head round pricing...

Since the initial buying experience, we also have had a more positive experience with Llandudno :thumb

Back