motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
811347A8-9747-4F5A-94FE-087E4FCFE70F.jpeg

This camp site is a delight! We came here many years ago in a large motor home and the place was a mud bath so we turned around, but now the roads have been improved and the grass on the motor home pitches reinforced with plastic mesh, or laid to hardcore. Only tents are allowed where there is no reinforcement and cars are parked at the side of the roadways.

Charges are £10 pp per night, rising to £12.50 on bank holidays, and hook up is £4 per night. In the evenings there are food tents offering burritos, pizzas etc.

As per the name, the site is situated on the edge of Llyn Gwynant nestled up against the slopes of Snowdon.

78CF5699-B80C-47A7-9B1C-7BA99A62C4E9.jpeg

BC551F7E-2DBE-4AC2-BD4C-EF4D29A838C4.jpeg

Facilities are good but could be overwhelmed in busy periods. Boiling water is available from an urn, and there is a microwave oven. So you may never need to turn your gas on! There is a large chest freezer for ice packs, all of this is free.

Fires are permitted in the provided fire pits, but you have to use wood purchased from the site.

3D353E6B-51C3-4503-8079-B8722C76A7A7.jpeg

There are some downsides, firstly the midges in the evening! Fortunately we were prepared!

F27DE433-10F6-4001-BE33-761109D146FA.jpeg

And with the current heatwave the roads were very dusty, with some inconsiderate drivers going faster than they should kicking up the dust.

Last downside, or it could be an upside, there is no phone signal or wi-fi. As radios and speakers etc are banned, you are therefore guaranteed peace and quiet. :)

Apart from that, it is all positives. Kayaks etc can be hired on site, and there are safe areas for the kids to paddle about in.

BC9872DE-114E-462D-A1BC-1BAD9D435783.jpeg

The camp site address is Nant Gwynant, Caernarfon, LL55 4NW. It lies roughly midway between Betws-y-Coed and Beddgelert.

There were a couple of other Cali’s on the site, but they must have been hidden away and I only saw them as they drove off.

Now, I really think I should keep this a secret, but I’ll let you in on it - IMO the best camper van pitch is Front Bay 9, if you want to book it in advance! You can see a large m/h on it to the left in the pic of us wearing the midge nets above. But don’t worry if we’ve already bagged it, there are plenty of other places. :thumb

I know where you are. Drive passed it alot as part of.my job. Stunning place! Lovely photos

Back