Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Greetham Retreat CL, Lincolnshire Wolds

Maud

Maud

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just spent six nights on the CL at Greetham Retreat, near Horncastle in the Lincolnshire Wolds. The site is set in a total of four acres, with a barn converted into five luxury cottages on one side and the five van CL on the other - there is a wildflower meadow and large pond in the centre of the site, with numerous trees and many bird boxes etc. to create a very tranquil feel. Apart from a little occasional road noise from passing cars on the lane, the only sounds we heard were the many owls and other birds going about their business of hunting and nest building.

The terraced CL pitches are all hardstanding, with an additional grass pitch available for summer use. They all offer views over the surrounding wolds and the meadow has grass pathways cut into it to enable you to walk around the whole site, with various large logs and benches to sit on and enjoy the views. There is a very well-presented single shower room, with separate shower, toilet and sink, which were kept immaculately clean throughout our stay. There is no motorhome drainage area on site, but the owner asks for waste water to be poured into the hedgerows behind the pitches anyway (everything is quite eco-friendly) and there is a very tidy area for fresh water, refuse (with various recycling bins) and chemical toilet disposal. The site also feels very secure with entrance gates (the owners' house is adjacent to the site).

The site is very dog friendly; they allow a maximum of four dogs per pitch (with four of the cottages also allowing dogs) and two poo bins on site. We found a lovely walk from site, along a short stretch of the lane and then across fields and meadows to Hoe Hill, which offered some nice views of the surrounding area. Greetham is also within Tennyson country so there are lots of beautiful little villages of historical and literary interest to drive or walk around. Although the seaside scene at Skegness/Mablethorpe etc. is not for me (each to their own!) there are lots of fabulous dog-friendly beaches within driving distance and we found areas that were quite deserted, despite being the school holidays.

There are many many positives to recommend this site, as mentioned above. The only negative I would say is the size of the pitches, which are a little narrower than some. A caravan and awning take up almost the full width of the pitches, and cars are parked across the front. I had plenty of room for Ariadne and the Quechua but some of the large drive-away awnings might overhang the pitches (though I don't think this would be a problem for the owners). However, the pitches are well spaced-out with grass between.

Overall, I would recommend this site to anyone looking for a quiet site in the Wolds, with good facilities and a very warm welcome from the owners. I would certainly go back to this site when returning to the area.

http://www.greethamretreat.co.uk
Photograph taken from the top of the site (the views beyond are somewhat obscured by the weather!).
P4050169.JPG
My girls up on Hoe Hill, a lovely walk straight from the site.
P4070247.JPG

Great review Maud :thumb

Great review Maud.

Can also recommend the caravan club site at Sutton-on-Sea in Lincolnshire, which we have stayed at many times. It's a 20 minute walk to a fantastic sandy beach at Sandilands. It really is a great area to stay for a few days where you can visit the market towns of Louth and Horncastle, and even Skeggy. Lincoln is only an hour away.

The downside is we lose at least a pound a day on the 2 penny push machines :).

Back