Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lockable pipe carrier to fit in awning track

greenfintry

greenfintry

Cometh the van cometh the hour
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Does anyone know if it is possible to fit and if anyone makes a lockable pipe tube that could fit onto the opposite side to the awning cartridge track? I want something that keeps the van below the magical 2m height for French autoroutes but that would let me put fishing rods or canoe paddle shafts down the tube.... Either 2 or 3 m length....

Thanks

Had a good look at this myself last year and drew a blank.

rob

I thought the Flamma type fitting s for their brand awning would be a suitable basis to make some fitments to suit the pipe tubes that are out there? Any enterprising engineering types on the forum minded to make something similar??

Maybe if you could get some Cali awning brackets and fit them to the passenger side then fix
A tube to them :thumb

I spent a lot of time researching this and came up with a workable solution. But I could not be confident of the awning tracks integrity in a crash. So I have dithered. Not completely put to bed though.

rob

Could you not use the rail on the roof :?: make some brackets that slide into the roof rail and tighten :?:

Yes but that would increase the height of the vehicle.

rob

My thoughts have been along these lines.

VW fit the standard awning to the opening door side, and would have crash tested it.
If the rail on the otherside is identical and would accept the awning - then provided the pipe carrier was similar in Mass (Loaded up with tackle) and fixing it should be OK.

But I have not got round to checking if the awning can be safely fitted either side.
Anyone know?

rob

Could you fit gutter down pipe behind awning cartridge, it can be purchased in different diameters. I realise it would not do for canoe paddles?

John

Not sure there are holes on the other side of the vehicle to fit awning brackets as the brackets also bolt into the roof below the pop-up roof.

cheers

I had found the awning bracket fixing instructions here. They appear to be designed to go on the drivers side (RHD)
http://www.fiamma.it/download/installat ... 55-748.pdf.

I think the bolt holes are not included on the left hand side of my roof.
Could you check one and see if the fixing holes are there on one you have.

I also will be using my Cali to carry fishing rods, I am interested in having some of the rods outside, but I think I am looking at having a pipe system inside the van down the side of the kitchen and using the small space beside the seat draw. Have yet to measure it all up, for the fly fishing all fits inside with ease it is the Sea rods that I need to source a home on the van. Following this post with great interest.

Pete,

How about telescopic fishing rods?
Bought an allrounder on line a couple of weeks ago that closes down from 11 foot to just 2 foot
I'm just a beginner so maybe not specialized for your needs,what do you think ?

Telescopic rods would be the last resort they are useful for dropping into a suitcase by accident just before going away with wife on a no fishing Holiday !
But for every day travel and fishing I need the real rods, the Cali has been bought to travel, and fish, and so the wife can come with me on my adventures and wake up near the Sea, and share the spots we go to in comfort.

The other option is to put them on the floor inside. The panel to the left (kitchen end) of the rear seat comes off, you can then push your rods in to the left of the seat from the boot.

Pete, I can see the logic there... :D

Andy,I knew about the space by the side of the kitchen ,but never thought of releasing the end panel by the side of the rear seat to allow for over hang.... :thumb

Hope I haven't detracted to much from this topic

Cheers

Alan

The outside carrier does appeal if possible.... not least cos it is so obvious! Cant see that the awning cant work on either side as the moulding etc must be symmetrical and why else is it there?? The issue for paddles is for the shafts since the blades come off and it would be nice to get clutter out of the van!!

Thanks for the thoughts on collapsible fishing rods, but still keen to try and get a solution using the rhino tubes as it would look cool and be useful!

Not had a lot of time to pursue this, as pretty busy with work etc. I did wonder if there is a way of getting a spare set of the VW awning mounts and then using these somehow to fit onto the rhino tube?

My solution is to strap rods on my VW bike rack. Some obvious security risks but no rods inside. Tried it on a trip to Dungeness last week and it works.
The pipe carrier idea now dead.
How do you carry your fishing tackle?
Rob

Back