Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking for advice on purchasing my 1st California Ocean...

M

MarcNN

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi there, all suggestions, tips and advice greatly appreciated as I am imminently looking to replace my X5 with a new California Ocean (4motion is my preference unless advised otherwise), so wondered other than main VW dealers where else should I look? I have a 14 mile round trip commute 2-3 days a week, so is the Ocean a good car for daily use around town(s)?
Any extras that are a must-have for day & 1 night trips for 2 adults & 2 children, and anything to avoid?
Where should I go for a 4 bike carrier, or should I request a tow bar option?
Thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions.

Hi there, all suggestions, tips and advice greatly appreciated as I am imminently looking to replace my X5 with a new California Ocean (4motion is my preference unless advised otherwise), so wondered other than main VW dealers where else should I look? I have a 14 mile round trip commute 2-3 days a week, so is the Ocean a good car for daily use around town(s)?
Any extras that are a must-have for day & 1 night trips for 2 adults & 2 children, and anything to avoid?
Hi, Good luck with finding your camper. I use mine as a daily driver. My only gripe is with short journeys (less than 10 miles), it always seems to be trying to perform an exhaust regen, which is then interrupted when you stop. However, I do love driving it all the time. If I did get another vehicle it would be a sports car rather than something more sensible as a daily driver so I’d have the best of both worlds.

If you have the budget for it, the 4Motion is highly effective in my opinion. There are two camps on here, those that don’t have 4M who say it’s not needed and those who do, who say they’re glad they have it. Here is an example: https://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/4motion-is-it-worth-it.500/

There are people talking about why they like it here, if you want a more one sided narrative on why you should get 4M. https://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/4motion-corner-take-two.2155/

I have a 2017 Ocean 4motion which I used as my commute vehicle similar to your plan. About 20 miles round trip a couple of times a week, when not cycling in or traveling elsewhere, in hire cars, for work. That's all changed now as I'm working from home but the vehicle is fine for that sort of use. It's just like a big car!
As above there is much discussion on the need for 4motion. Previously I had a T5 conversion and having been towed out of a few muddy parking fields before really wanted the extra driven wheels this time. It reduces the risk of domestics with my wife who always got stressed as soon as I turned off the tarmac. We haven't been stuck in the 2 years we've had it, so I find that relaxing and liberating.
No kids so can't comment on that but loads of good advice on 'the must have for the van threads' and by trialling.
I also have a factory removable towbar and a Thule bike rack that fits on it. In its 11th year of faultless service so highly recommended.

Sadly, 4 motion is incompatible with the 5th seat option. For a family of 5 like us, 4 motion simply is not possible.

I do not know for sure, but I think you also have to forego the spare wheel on a 4 motion, because the 4 wheel drive mechanicals are in the way.

I had a couple of sticky moments in my FWD Ocean during the winter of 2018 with the standard 'summer' tyres and wheels.

I quickly bought a set of VW steels and Dunlop winter tyres which I swap over end of October through the end of March.....touch wood I have not had any trouble since.

I will carry a couple of plastic grip mats if I think the conditions may be very wet.

Spare wheel is no problem as the spare wheel is behind the rear wheel axle. The 4motion system is right in front of the spare wheel.
View attachment 63748
Thanks for picture. I have a 2020 ocean 4 motion bought without a spare wheel. Has anyone put in their own spare behind the rear drive if yes what size did you get in there 17 inch or 18 inch ?

I've got an 18" spare wheel with a 235/55/18 104V tyre that fits OK into the rack.
Alloy VW 18x7.5" rim Durban style as used on the VW Amorak.

Available if anyone needs one as I decided to stay with 17" rims.

I've got an 18" spare wheel with a 235/55/18 104V tyre that fits OK into the rack.
Alloy VW 18x7.5" rim Durban style as used on the VW Amorak.

Available if anyone needs one as I decided to stay with 17" rims.
Thanks for reply. I first need a confirmation if I can fit a rack and a wheel and tyre under my van

Thanks for picture. I have a 2020 ocean 4 motion bought without a spare wheel. Has anyone put in their own spare behind the rear drive if yes what size did you get in there 17 inch or 18 inch ?
I think l'm correct, but if you order 18" wheels as a factory option, you don't get a spare wheel (or carrier). I've never understood why, because surely the overall size must be the same as 17"wheels. You say your 18" Amrock wheel fits in the cage, therefore why don't VW supply a spare with 18" wheels?

4Motion or not? Your decision is final. For me we went NO. The cost could not be justified. If one is doing lost of off road or steep hill climbing then possibly yes. We do a lot of off grid stopping, sand, mud, grass etc. With the original Hankook summer tyres at 60 psi the grip was poor on such surfaces. With Michelin Agilis no problems. Like you we stuck with 16", again no issues and the ride is great. I would suggest you ask yourself - "is the cost a good investment in relation to how much you will need it"? Good tyres make a huge difference.

I think l'm correct, but if you order 18" wheels as a factory option, you don't get a spare wheel (or carrier). I've never understood why, because surely the overall size must be the same as 17"wheels. You say your 18" Amrock wheel fits in the cage, therefore why don't VW supply a spare with 18" wheels?
I’d always assumed it was because the 18” wheels were also wider but since BJG says his fit into the rack it’s a mystery.

I’d always assumed it was because the 18” wheels were also wider but since BJG says his fit into the rack it’s a mystery.
I think the regular 18s from the factory are 255 width. But BJG is using a 235 width same as the 17s which must fit.

I think the regular 18s from the factory are 255 width. But BJG is using a 235 width same as the 17s which must fit.
Think I would be happy to run a slightly narrower tyre as a spare. I have the removable tow bar so any idea if that compounds the problem ?

They use the wider 8" rim and 255 tyre which would be a problem with ground clearance. That's why I tried the 7.5" rim and 235 tyre but went to 55 profile to get load rating up to 104. 235/50/18 101 tyres available but below the original 103 load rating.

Think I would be happy to run a slightly narrower tyre as a spare. I have the removable tow bar so any idea if that compounds the problem ?
Towbar has no impact on spare wheel fitment.

Thanks for reply. I first need a confirmation if I can fit a rack and a wheel and tyre under my van
Rack just needs a carrier kit to fit.
an example

I
I do not know for sure, but I think you also have to forego the spare wheel on a 4 motion, because the 4 wheel drive mechanicals are in the way.

I had a couple of sticky moments in my FWD Ocean during the winter of 2018 with the standard 'summer' tyres and wheels.

I quickly bought a set of VW steels and Dunlop winter tyres which I swap over end of October through the end of March.....touch wood I have not had any trouble since.

I will carry a couple of plastic grip mats if I think the conditions may be very wet.
have a 2019 4m Ocean and it came with a spare wheel

4 Motion does come with spare wheel steel or Alloy if you prefer.
If you want 4 motion then you should also get diff lock added.
Towbar for the bike rack was the way i went as it gave the most versatility for the £££ spent.
Could we manage without 4 motion. I have no idea, but i have Quattro on our Audis and don't do any off-roading in them so more than happy to order it on the California but only with the diff lock added as well. I dont think it is justifiable to add 4-Motion without the lock

The other big benefit of ordering 4 Motion is you get the fantastic 204 engine, which may or may not ever appear in real life, hence you get the fun and excitement of continually asking for an updated on your build date and getting told to check back in two weeks.

4 Motion does come with spare wheel steel or Alloy if you prefer.
If you want 4 motion then you should also get diff lock added.
Towbar for the bike rack was the way i went as it gave the most versatility for the £££ spent.
Could we manage without 4 motion. I have no idea, but i have Quattro on our Audis and don't do any off-roading in them so more than happy to order it on the California but only with the diff lock added as well. I dont think it is justifiable to add 4-Motion without the lock
Diff lock isn't essential except if in very hilly areas or if serious offroad use is intended.

Only locks the rear axle which will make the Cali want to go straight ahead only. ie turning means inner rear wheel must spin due to no diff action which is why it should only be engaged on slippery surfaces.

4x4 SUV's generally have diff locks on both axles plus a transfer lock which puts drive to all 4 wheels with no differential action.
Newer high end ones have electronic systems that will prevent any wheel from losing traction

Diff lock isn't essential except if in very hilly areas or if serious offroad use is intended.

Only locks the rear axle which will make the Cali want to go straight ahead only. ie turning means inner rear wheel must spin due to no diff action which is why it should only be engaged on slippery surfaces.

4x4 SUV's generally have diff locks on both axles plus a transfer lock which puts drive to all 4 wheels with no differential action.
Newer high end ones have electronic systems that will prevent any wheel from losing traction
I would be inclined to agree with you, up until the point i got got stuck in a festival field going nowhere until the diff was engaged. Its a very low cost option that you only need to use once for it to worth its weight in gold.
Totally agree that on the road it has no discernible benefit, but i would also argue that most front wheel drive vehicles, vans included quite happily manage on the roads without their front wheels scrabbling for grip at a greasy junction when driven in a measured way. If the intended use is to drive on the roads in the UK and park on hard standing pitch's in managed camp sites, then save the money and get some heated seats instead.

I would be inclined to agree with you, up until the point i got got stuck in a festival field going nowhere until the diff was engaged. Its a very low cost option that you only need to use once for it to worth its weight in gold.
Totally agree that on the road it has no discernible benefit, but i would also argue that most front wheel drive vehicles, vans included quite happily manage on the roads without their front wheels scrabbling for grip at a greasy junction when driven in a measured way. If the intended use is to drive on the roads in the UK and park on hard standing pitch's in managed camp sites, then save the money and get some heated seats instead.
As many have said before the tyres are the most critical factor.
Low rolling resistance Summer tyres will be of little use on wet grass or a muddy slope. 2WD, 4WD with or without a diff lock both struggle for traction.

My advice would be to really consider what you want to get out of the van. All calis meet the objective of providing freedom (when allowed) and versatility. Colours, trim and whether 4M or 2wd are personal preferences. If budget allows then go for what matters to you, but a standard van will provide the same smiles

Back