Lower bed question?

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Just trying to get all the facts to hand whilst making up my want list.
The lower bed is made up of the 2 berth bench seat which is pulled forward and reclined, basically, and makes up about 3/4 of the bed area with the metal parcel shelf at the rear making up 1/4 approx. Is this correct?
VW, in the California brochure, show a Comfort sleeping mattress, which I presume folds up to fit on the rear metal parcel shelf when not in use?
Do you need this mattress or can you use a topper, as sold by some of the site sponsors, or do you need both?
Any info much appreciated. :thanks

The cali comes with a standard mattress which consists of two halves of the bench seat plus a bit at the back. It really does need a topper as its hard and bitty with all the lumps and bumps from the joins poking you in places where you would not like to be poked when asleep.

The comfort mattress folds on the back parcel shelf and folds out over the two bits of the bech seat to cover up all the lumpy bumpy gappy bits. I have one and it provides for a quite comfortable bed.

Other toppers I cannot comment on.

Another public information message from the poorly grumpy granny

Thanks GrannyJen.
Does the Comfort mattress have a cover on when not in use.The one I saw on an Ex-Demo a year ago was white and no one knew if there was a cover for it.

We tried sleeping on the standard bed for almost a year; we finally admitted it isn't comfortable!
So we tried a Zonesleep topper (one of the first I think); problem sorted. We spent five weeks in Europe and it was great. The bed is quite small and a standard sheet doesn't quite fit (there's a corner missing) but it fine for us; fitted sheets seem a bit better.
We have covers on all seats (VW) and one for the rear shelf (Inka).

The top bed is fine as it is IMO; the kids like it anyway!

WelshGas said:
Thanks GrannyJen.
Does the Comfort mattress have a cover on when not in use.The one I saw on an Ex-Demo a year ago was white and no one knew if there was a cover for it.

There is no removable cover. It comes in a sort of military grey more attractively suitable for a Panzer than camper. However as it is easily folded at the rear when not in use it is also unnoticeable.

You can get tailor made covers for it but I use a pice of lightweight kite fabric bought for £5 off ebay, I lay it flat on the bed when in use and just wrap it around when not. I've spilt Loo-blu and all sorts on it so far with no noticeable affect other than my blue kite fabric is now looking a bit
well-washed.

A Zonesleep will give you a good nights sleep and folds up on rear shelf neatly when not in use.

I've got the comfort mattress and in the short time I've used it noticed that it really does need a cover on it when not in use, as piling stuff up on top of it (i.e. when acting as a parcel shelf) and rain drops etc soon mark it.

Jen - you mentioned that you can get tailored covers, sounds just what I need. Could you point me in the right direction?

Martyn

I bought one of these on Ebay, which is memory foam, folds up to sit on parcel shelf, and has removable cover, so I imagine you unzip it to remove it to wash it! not sure if link will work. But here goes! Not slept on it yet, but had a lie down, and its a vast improvement on the lower bed.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170815386388

if link doesnt work. item number is 170815386388

Premium members also get a discount on it :D

Right hand side, 5 down

Back