Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2011 Cali Bed Hight Conundrum

E

Edsr

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All,

First post... so we just got our new 2011 Cali and the bed height seems wrong. Either the seat is too high/or low, or the parcel shelf is, or the mattress for the parcel shelf is the wrong thickness.

I read a thread on here about someone saying that basically when they introduced the metal frame parcel shelf in lieu of of the MDF one (around 2011) there were a few 'transition' calis made that had this issue.

Basically when the seat is in 'bed' mode, the parcel shelf is too low, and the bed steps down, on the low shelf setting. When it's on the high shelf setting it's closest to being level with the bed, but it still steps up. We've not slept in in yet, but I don't want us to go away and suffer from bad backs (kids will be upstairs).

I'm pretty sure the mattress and shelf are all original, (given the shelves still have the film on!) - I wondered if anyone else had had this issue, and what they did to resolve it (the other thread was inconclusive). I don't really want to lug a load of extra weight around to create 'packing' between, and I also fear that adding more foam beneath the mattress (on it's lower setting) may make the bit nearest the boot too squishy, so you sink down and still feel the ridge.

We both suffer (slightly) from grumbly backs, so keen to get this sorted.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I’ve not heard of this issue before, nor seen the thread you mention, but you could sleep head to front until you find a solution (assuming you wish to sleep head to tailgate).

How big is the step up/ down? Would a topper mitigate the impact?

Hi All,

First post... so we just got our new 2011 Cali and the bed height seems wrong. Either the seat is too high/or low, or the parcel shelf is, or the mattress for the parcel shelf is the wrong thickness.

I read a thread on here about someone saying that basically when they introduced the metal frame parcel shelf in lieu of of the MDF one (around 2011) there were a few 'transition' calis made that had this issue.

Basically when the seat is in 'bed' mode, the parcel shelf is too low, and the bed steps down, on the low shelf setting. When it's on the high shelf setting it's closest to being level with the bed, but it still steps up. We've not slept in in yet, but I don't want us to go away and suffer from bad backs (kids will be upstairs).

I'm pretty sure the mattress and shelf are all original, (given the shelves still have the film on!) - I wondered if anyone else had had this issue, and what they did to resolve it (the other thread was inconclusive). I don't really want to lug a load of extra weight around to create 'packing' between, and I also fear that adding more foam beneath the mattress (on it's lower setting) may make the bit nearest the boot too squishy, so you sink down and still feel the ridge.

Photos would be useful.
The standard VW Comfort mattress is in 3 sections, 2 sections are rectangular and the shaped section that fits on the shelf is double thickness.
Check that the shelf is properly located on the supports.

Hi All,

Welcome on board @Edsr . If I were faced with this issue, I would keep the shelf in the low setting, get a few pieces of Ply from B&Q, roughly cut it to size and put it below the mattress to get it to the correct height as a temporary solution.

As I have not seen this issue before, for us to recommend a permanent solution, is it possible for you to post pictures of the slots where the frame connects to on either side of the van and also the measurements? That is what determines the height of the frame.

The standard measurements are as in the pic below.

PXL_20210519_120733549.jpg

Hi All,

Don’t forget that the rear shelf height needs, or can be set both at the rear door end and at the seat end. So to get a flat base you need to slot it into all 4 of the higher notches. Otherwise in the lower setting you need the “stepped” mattress as @WelshGas says.

Our old van was like that.

Have you tried sleeping on it yet?

When using just the small mattress over the metal frame (ie no optional comfort mattress) although it appeared that section was higher than the rest of the bed when on the highest setting, the thin mattress was so squashy that it levelled out when you actually laid on it.

It was the rest of the bed that we found hard so ended up with the brandrup extend mattress to put over the whole lot.

Not exactly the same issue, but on my 2012 SE the right hand bracket is about 15mm lower than the left. When I release the plunger the the right hand side of the mesh springs up.

Thanks for this photo - it confirms it’s the left hand side that’s been fitted slightly high on the wardrobe. Right hand side matches your photo and dimensions. Not that there’s a lot I can (or will) do about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, thanks everyone...

Its about an inch @Camperfamily and we did inherit a mattress topper with it - it's in a pile of stuff, like the awning and sun shades that I've just put to one side while sorting the vehicle itself - need to test it out properly really.

@WelshGas that's interesting about the mattress being stepped - I wonder if mine came with that originally and it's been discarded (or perhaps was designed for that, but then VW didn't include it as standard). We don't have one anyway, but that could be a good solution longer term, provided of course that there isn't STILL a 1" step with the new one!

@kurienp thanks very much for the photo - that's a massive help. I've just got back from dropping the van in for its new cambelt - so but I will give it a measure tomorrow evening and see how it compares as it will be interesting for anyone with the same issue reading this thread, and to know if the mattress upgrade is an option longer term.

@andyinluton I think you've nailed it - Mrs Edsr laid on it with the step and said it actually felt flat, but the perfectionist in me thought 'that just can't be right'.... we have this mattress topper so we might give that a go, although this evening we were discussing binning off the shelf, and the mattress bit, pushing the seat back (flat) against the tailgate to give us more room, and the kids sleeping downstairs (they are only little, and the upstairs bed looks soooo much more comfortable.

My mum has an offcut of memory foam topper so I may try stuffing that into the same case as the existing mattress to see if it helps raise it, although I suspect it won't be enough. I think the idea of having the kids downstairs could be interesting but at least we have a couple of options to try.

Thanks everyone for the help and that really doesn't surprise me @MeltedGoldfish - these things certainly have 'personality'!

OK so we are back from our maiden voyage in our new to us Cali and my back is wrecked. The kids were upstairs as they need to sleep and it wasn’t quite warm enough to sit outside until they’d gone to sleep.

To recap we have a weird ‘transition’ model of Cali made in 2011 where they swapped from an Mdf to a metal parcel shelf but didn’t change the height of the brackets properly.

As a result when on the high setting the parcel shelf mattress sits above the flattened rear seats. When on the lower setting it sits below.

So I ordered some foam sheet (a bit like those giant rectangular floats kids stand op on in swimming pools. It’s also used for packing expensive AV equipment into flight cases. Anyway I ordered a 40mm sheet of this which would have done the job perfectly but it’s about 10mm too high, so have sent it back and await the 30mm thick sheet.

I’ll then draw around my rear parcel shelf mattress and cut the sheet with a sharp kitchen knife with a sawing action.

I’ll update when I get the 30mm stuff and check but I think it’s going to sort the problem perfectly for under £30.

The link: https://www.easyfoam.co.uk/ethafoam.php

The size: 100cm x 120cm x 30mm

Colour options: grey or white

So the foam arrived today - they actually sent me 25mm thick rather than 30 by mistake and by sheer luck it fits even better than 30mm would.

Unfortunately I forgot to change the colour to grey when ordering so it’s white instead but at £27 a sheet it’s not a major concern.

I then measured the mattress cushion and squared everything off those measurements, using a biro, straight edge, and a very sharp kitchen knife at a shallow angle with a sawing motion.

This gave a clean cut. I then notched around the parcel shelf supports, lifted the seat up and laid it back down on top of the foam so the seatbelt nobbles could be traced around.

Finally I rounded the back off to the shape of the boot but had I been feeling lazy I could have just used the rear edge of the parcel shelf to give me a slightly less snug fit.

It got dark as I finished but took a photo of work in progress. Suffice to say it weighs almost nothing, has a little bit of give, and is the perfect height. It’s comfy even without a mattress topper so will hopefully enjoy sleeping in the van this weekend!

Hope this is useful to anyone else with this same issue.

To buy:

100cm x 120cm x 25mm sheet

Colour: grey (would be my preference instead of white!)

3bd7f73bb9e9c8990d29023582325270.jpg

Back