Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lowering (or swapping) the driver’s seat

H

HB19

HB
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Has anyone managed to lower or swap the driver’s seat to allow for greater headroom?

I have had a root around under there and it looks to me like the only way to lower the drivers seat is to swap it for a different one.

I am not interested in plans to remove padding or anything like that .. i am looking for a permanent solution .. so if there’s anyone out there that has undertaken this modification, can you let me know what you did and whether it was worth it.

Thanks.

I've seen conversions that use golf/audi seats, but I think you might lose the ability to rotate the seat. Try the t4forum(it's t5/T6 too) they'll have plenty of threads about seats.

It might be worth you looking at specific T5 conversion kits.

There are many people who are looking to convert a standard VW van in to a camper, and there are loads of companies offering parts and kits.

Alternatively, you might find that removing the lower solid frame, will allow you to simply drop the seat on to the already provided fixing points.

Of course you will need to relocate any electrics that reside under the seat and presently within the lower steel frame.

Has anyone managed to lower or swap the driver’s seat to allow for greater headroom?

I have had a root around under there and it looks to me like the only way to lower the drivers seat is to swap it for a different one.

I am not interested in plans to remove padding or anything like that .. i am looking for a permanent solution .. so if there’s anyone out there that has undertaken this modification, can you let me know what you did and whether it was worth it.

Thanks.
I haven’t got any experience I’m afraid. It might be worth speaking to the makers of the lower base at the link below. It might give you 30mm additional headroom. Good luck and let us know if you find a good solution.

Plenty of grinders and welders available. Cut a slice out of the pedestal and weld it back up.

Thanks all .. it doesn’t look like anyone here has ever tried this mod ... thank you though for the suggestions.

Last edited:
Thanks all .. it doesn’t look like anyone here has ever tried this mod ... thank you though for the suggestions.
Hi HB19 - did you ever resolve this? I'm looking for the same..

Hi HB19 - did you ever resolve this? I'm looking for the same..
No not yet, but it is still on the ‘to do’ list. i would be really interested to hear from anyone who has made it work.

Can I be nosy and ask why you need so much headroom? I'm 6'6" and have no issue... :confused:

Can I be nosy and ask why you need so much headroom? I'm 6'6" and have no issue... :confused:
I wish I had a more interesting answer for you but it’s exactly the one you would expect ... 6’6” is indeed tall and I am pleased that you don’t have any issues. We are however exploring options for someone a good deal taller than that .. but only if it’s an easy fix. Being a passenger is less of an issue than being a driver when a clearer view out of the front windscreen would be helpful.

Reactions: Sad
I wish I had a more interesting answer for you but it’s exactly the one you would expect ... 6’6” is indeed tall and I am pleased that you don’t have any issues. We are however exploring options for someone a good deal taller than that .. but only if it’s an easy fix. Being a passenger is less of an issue than being a driver when a clearer view out of the front windscreen would be helpful.
Any use?

Any use?
It may well be. Thank you so much for posting this link. I will give them a call this week and ask some questions. It certainly looks like it could work without compromising the swivel etc, so definitely worth some enquiries.

It may well be. Thank you so much for posting this link. I will give them a call this week and ask some questions. It certainly looks like it could work without compromising the swivel etc, so definitely worth some enquiries.
The only thing you would lose is the plastic trim around the seat base.

You could cut the trim down but might be a bit messy.
Get someone to spray paint the new base a matching grey colour or any colour of your choice.
Keep the plastic trim and seat base for the next owner unless this is your forever Campervan.

Back