Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lowering Springs and Alloys

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi

I am collecting my new Ocean 6.1 at the end of February - hopefully !!! I want to have it lowered but given we will be going across bumpy camping sites I am advised that the standard 30mm Sportline dealer fitted lowering springs are the maximum I should think of. Also I understand that would keep me in warranty ?? However, I am not sure about alloy wheels, I have ordered the standard 17" alloys as I didn't like any of the 18" ones on the VW options list. My intention is to sell the 17" Woodstock alloys immediately as new and buy after market ones, probably the Wolfrace Wolfsburg. However I would like to go for 19" alloys as I like the look of a larger alloy, I understand that they have to be properly load rated. Can anyone advise if this is sensible (I'm new to all this !!) and would 19" alloys affect my warranty. As this is a new van, warranty considerations are very important, particularly given the cost !!!. It is a ridiculous price but had a cancer diagnosis 3 months ago so thought s*d it, I might as well spend it now and enjoy myself, always dreamed of owning a California !!!

19” alloys will not affect your warranty
Vw actually sell 20’s now in there showrooms..
If you want it lower than 30 mm you can also have dealerfit coilovers these are eibach and fully adjustable to about 75mm again this will not affect warranties as long as there dealer fitted!
Hope that helps

Just my opinion but Wolfrace are not the best quality wise. Bubbling and flaking etc.

Hi

I am collecting my new Ocean 6.1 at the end of February - hopefully !!! I want to have it lowered but given we will be going across bumpy camping sites I am advised that the standard 30mm Sportline dealer fitted lowering springs are the maximum I should think of. Also I understand that would keep me in warranty ?? However, I am not sure about alloy wheels, I have ordered the standard 17" alloys as I didn't like any of the 18" ones on the VW options list. My intention is to sell the 17" Woodstock alloys immediately as new and buy after market ones, probably the Wolfrace Wolfsburg. However I would like to go for 19" alloys as I like the look of a larger alloy, I understand that they have to be properly load rated. Can anyone advise if this is sensible (I'm new to all this !!) and would 19" alloys affect my warranty. As this is a new van, warranty considerations are very important, particularly given the cost !!!. It is a ridiculous price but had a cancer diagnosis 3 months ago so thought s*d it, I might as well spend it now and enjoy myself, always dreamed of owning a California !!!
As long as a VW Dealership fits VW Approved accessories then there will be no problem with Warranty and ALL VW parts and Labour carry a 2 year Warranty.

I like looking at other people’s slammed vans with huge wheels. Is not the ride very hard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate some people like the look of even bigger wheels, but in hindsight I think 17" would've suited me better than 18" Sportlines on 30mm lowered springs - it's a touch crashy for me now (but it looks mint) ...

Hi

Hi Rowls1958
Just ordered my Cali and want to do exactly the same as you - did you go for it?how did it work out?

Hi Rowls1958
Just ordered my Cali and want to do exactly the same as you - did you go for it?how did it work out?
Hi, still waiting for the van.......... I have been told they are starting shipping from Emden today so I know mine is at the Port so fingers crossed wont be long. The dealer is going to fit the 30mm VW lowering springs but I stuck with 18" VW wheels. I'll post when done.

Theres a company called CRS motorsport who fit uprated Koni shocks and springs. They've had some good feed-back and an alternative to coil-overs.
Im not 100% convinced about coil-overs after having a van on loan with them fitted...

We have Eibach VW Coilovers which are adjustable to 75mm. Ours is lowered to 40mm. We have Supermetal Trident 20” wheels (now available as a dealer for option) and uprated anti roll bars.
The ride is better than when it was on standard 17s and standard suspension. Little roll and flatter cornering. Soaks up potholes and bumps very well as the damping is very progressive. B58C9797-E8CC-43BE-9369-741787495DF3.jpegDED48777-D351-4CE9-B191-2E44427207B1.jpeg

I have the VW fitted eibach coilovers and have taken it down to -60mm. Fully loaded it doesn't seen to go much lower and rides great. Its also fine on grass and moderate off road scenarios.
Running standard Palmerstons wheels as well.
Everybody is different i suppose but that's the thing about these vehicles, each to their own. My golfs are all on coilovers and i love them, but others do not enjoy the ride.
I would suggest you take a test drive in a van with coilovers and -30mm springs first so that you can feel the difference between the two set ups before you spend. Expensive to correct if you are not happy with something.

Here is some light reading....

Lots of wheel options but remember that the tyre wall reduces in height and stiffens in conjunction with the wheel rim increasing.
Split tyre walls and even rims aren't uncommon due to the poor quality of the roads.
Tyre costs go up with diameter and from info gleaned on the Van Forums the mileage also reduces with up 10% increase in fuel also reported.

I've sold 2 sets of 17" wheels to Buyers of Vans with 20" wheels fitted when purchased.

I went for wider and stronger 17" wheels but that's just my choice. Also have Heavy Duty ARB's and full Bilstein Air Suspension so no issues with ground clearance.

Alloys are best with Winter Paint Coating for durability.

Have a browse on Tyreleader at the size and style options. Also look for 65.1mm centre bore as then no spigot rings needed plus if possible get ones that use original bolts.

ps. they are priced in € converted to £ so best to buy when £ is high.

Something often overlooked by those fitting 19" or 20" wheels is that whilst you can still carry a a 16" or 17" spare wheel the bigger and wider 19" or 20" wheel/tyre won't fit into the spare's rack and must go inside the Cali in the event of a puncture.
If already loaded fully with holiday kit plus dog(s) passengers this may leave no space especially if just departed on a long run.

Low vans can also have problems getting the spare wheel out.

just seen your note asking Maxx to advise on 30mm lowering. I have it on my beach and I think it's brilliant - always a compromise: it's a bit crashy) - but otherwise love it. Completely different handling which is what I wanted ever since the whole family went "OOooooooooh" as I came off one roundabout immediately onto another a tad too fast

A couple of years ago I got involved in the design of some wheel rims for a race car project.
Obvs there was a lot of stress analysis work.
Long story short, I was amazed at just how much rims deflect under load laterally.

So glad I have properly specified load rated rims on my van.