Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LPG Filler Port on Grand California: solved

D

Duncs1

Vehicle
Grand California 600
In case anyone else has been wondering how refillable LPG can be fitted to a GC, we’ve just had twin 11Kg Gaslow cylinders fitted by Gaslow in Loughborough
The problem was where to fit the filler port that didn’t seem to entail extensive dismantling of interior fittings. . Invalidating the anti-rust warranty if fitted on a body panel may also be an issue. We weren’t keen either on the underslung version.

Martin at Gaslow came up with the neat solution of fitting the port on the rear offside corner moulding. Photos attached.
The bayonet adaptor needs to be attached for filling, as shown, but that’s quick and easy. C5ADE6B7-C97C-4FC2-A1C2-5E1F96F2FB72.jpegD45803E1-33AE-4675-88B2-C8413FEF6162.jpeg

In case anyone else has been wondering how refillable LPG can be fitted to a GC, we’ve just had twin 11Kg Gaslow cylinders fitted by Gaslow in Loughborough
The problem was where to fit the filler port that didn’t seem to entail extensive dismantling of interior fittings. . Invalidating the anti-rust warranty if fitted on a body panel may also be an issue. We weren’t keen either on the underslung version.

Martin at Gaslow came up with the neat solution of fitting the port on the rear offside corner moulding. Photos attached.
The bayonet adaptor needs to be attached for filling, as shown, but that’s quick and easy. View attachment 83216View attachment 83217image.jpg
Here is mine also Gaslow yours is more convenient. Where is your BBQ point. Mine is the red cap beside the filler point.image.jpg

Last edited:

The bayonet adaptor needs to be attached for filling, as shown, but that’s quick and easy. View attachment 83216View attachment 83217
That looks really neat, where was the work carried out and how long does it take? I want to get this system but nervous about letting someone fit it that hasn’t done it on a grand before so I might have it done on one of our trips at a place where it’s fresh in their minds.

Alas, no BBQ point at present. That’s going to be a challenge for another time!
About your installation, thanks for the photo. It looks nicely shielded by rear mud-flap to protect it from wet weather road conditions.

That looks really neat, where was the work carried out and how long does it take? I want to get this system but nervous about letting someone fit it that hasn’t done it on a grandu DX before so I might have it done on one of our trips at a place where it’s fresh in their minds.

Replying to Simon1, fitting was done at Gaslow’s works in Loughborough and took two to three hours. That’s not counting the time before he began when Martin was puzzling out the complexities of VW Crafter bodywork. Now he’s done one it should be quicker next time. No hesitation recommending him. Good luck with it.

Replying to Simon1, fitting was done at Gaslow’s works in Loughborough and took two to three hours. That’s not counting the time before he began when Martin was puzzling out the complexities of VW Crafter bodywork. Now he’s done one it should be quicker next time. No hesitation recommending him. Good luck with it.
Thanks for the info and recommendation!

This is an old thread I know but just in case anyone else reads it from now on ……….

Fitting the refill point in the bumper is a very easy DIY task, you can buy the full kit from Autogas2000

I did this to Fiat Ducato in 2018 and it took me about 3 hours.

(now if only I could put 2 x 11kg in the Cali ……. :D )

The bayonet adaptor needs to be attached for filling, as shown, but that’s quick and easy. View attachment 83216View attachment 83217
Looks really good, could you share their contact details pls.

Superb! Does the piping tuck away/hide well fitting it this way?
Thanks in advance

Well it did on my Fiat, I would think there would be plenty of room on the VW

I contacted Gaslow and they mentioned Martin left last year and to speak with a dealer. does anyone know of someone who might have experience before I start ringing round? ideally I would like to use someone who has done this before with a CG600, thanks in adance!

sorry I know its a long time ago, but do you know if its a 90 degree fitted or straight through fitting flat plate fill unit? I want to order the correct filling plate unit before cutting the hole to find out! :)

I'm guessing it could be straight looking at the image (not much room if it went up or down directly)

Hopefully I have this link correct.. also where are you based? See my link Of my installation.

Hopefully I have this link correct.. also where are you based? See my link Of my installation.
thanks!! great install as you say, I'm in North West but willing to travel to get the right installer who knows what they are doing. Looks like the people you used with yours did a great job!

Propex seems a bit too far although I'm thinking of using Hill View Awnings who are only 17 miles away from Propex so might kill two birds in the one trip, thanks again!!

thanks!! great install as you say, I'm in North West but willing to travel to get the right installer who knows what they are doing. Looks like the people you used with yours did a great job!

Propex seems a bit too far although I'm thinking of using Hill View Awnings who are only 17 miles away from Propex so might kill two birds in the one trip, thanks again!!
Both great companies great workmanship so worth the visit. plenty of campsites between the two Companies. Take it you’re having the morning fitting at Hillview. If so, I would recommend the corner tensioners only about £40 fitted but well worth it.

Both great companies great workmanship so worth the visit. plenty of campsites between the two Companies. Take it you’re having the morning fitting at Hillview. If so, I would recommend the corner tensioners only about £40 fitted but well worth it.
yeah I was thinking about them, thanks for the heads up, I believe without and after a bit of wind, not a good outcome! :)

Back