Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mattress recommendations

I

Ian7985

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi everyone, we are currently at day 3 of our trip and so far I haven’t had a good nights sleep upstairs yet. We have the standard T5 ocean mattress with a small mattress cover, however I am getting backache during the night and just want to see what options people are using for a decent nights sleep. Thanks

Reactions: jmf
Zonesleep Ultra seem very popular as the best of the best but I personally find the upstairs mattress fine so I may not be the best to offer advice. I am sure others will be along to confirm what they have.

Are you looking for a softer deeper mattress, do you like memory foam for example? I have a comfortz mattress downstairs and it really transforms the bed.

Hi everyone, we are currently at day 3 of our trip and so far I haven’t had a good nights sleep upstairs yet. We have the standard T5 ocean mattress with a small mattress cover, however I am getting backache during the night and just want to see what options people are using for a decent nights sleep. Thanks
I have a upper bed zonesleep available on the accessories page, it also will fit downstairs.

We bought the Caliroof II mattress for upstairs from the German shop VWCamper.de. After years of bad night rest and pains in the back on the original VW mattress, we now wake up completely relaxed. The mattress is rather high, with 6,5 CM, but still the roof can be closed (although with sheets it's tight!). I see that currently they have a large discount (349 instead of 449 euro).

We combine the mattress with these sheets: Bella Donna Jersey, 90/190 - 100/220 CM. They do cost much much more than an average sheet, but are very comfortable. (do not buy the B-quality ones on the net, as they can tear sometimes).

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

How is it, that we accept having bought a 40k plus camper and that it is totally acceptable that VW do not give us sleeping surfaces that are comfortable for the majority of people using it? It is sold as one of the top campers on the market, but sleeping, which is one of the basic areas of campervanning, then requires 100's of pounds extra spending to make it fit for purpose. Odd that we all just don't question this isn't it?

Money making. The old trick like buying a car...
I’m sure Vw have some connection to brandrup. All materials and colours are exact matches. Parts numbers are the same...

How is it, that we accept having bought a 40k plus camper and that it is totally acceptable that VW do not give us sleeping surfaces that are comfortable for the majority of people using it? It is sold as one of the top campers on the market, but sleeping, which is one of the basic areas of campervanning, then requires 100's of pounds extra spending to make it fit for purpose. Odd that we all just don't question this isn't it?

Completely agreed.

I hired a T5 transporter a few years ago with a rock and roll bed that was way more comfy than in the California..... rest of the van not up to much but that be was great...

Zonesleep Ultra seem very popular as the best of the best but I personally find the upstairs mattress fine so I may not be the best to offer advice. I am sure others will be along to confirm what they have.

Are you looking for a softer deeper mattress, do you like memory foam for example? I have a comfortz mattress downstairs and it really transforms the bed.
Sorry for the delay reply. Where did you get your comfortz mattress from? Thanks

We bought the Caliroof II mattress for upstairs from the German shop VWCamper.de. After years of bad night rest and pains in the back on the original VW mattress, we now wake up completely relaxed. The mattress is rather high, with 6,5 CM, but still the roof can be closed (although with sheets it's tight!). I see that currently they have a large discount (349 instead of 449 euro).

We combine the mattress with these sheets: Bella Donna Jersey, 90/190 - 100/220 CM. They do cost much much more than an average sheet, but are very comfortable. (do not buy the B-quality ones on the net, as they can tear sometimes).

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.
Sounds like a plan, will look into that. Thanks very much

I agree on that and more, the sleeping is so important as well, especially when your at an age where your body hasn’t got the normal support it is use too. Just had another weekend out in it and tried a blow up roll mat but still struggled to get a good night sleep.

... when your at an age where your body hasn’t got the normal support it is use too. Just had another weekend out in it and tried a blow up roll mat but still struggled to get a good night sleep.
At my age, I struggle to blow up a roll mat...

Spent many nights away in the van, and like you, have struggled with comfort in the upper birth

You could place two plates of plywood of 2/3 MM under the upper mattress, full lenght from front to feet end. Two, because one is too broad to get in upstairs.
The plywood works like a cushion and dampens the feathering movements of the wooden bows under the mattress. Also better for your partner in case you turn a lot in your sleep....

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

I also couldnt agree more..am so delighted with the whole California experience and love it..except for the bed upstairs..it literally means I find it hard to walk in the morning and I am quite fit! wondering what went wrong here when it is so well designed in every other way.

Back