Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ikea Talgje - is this the ultimate budget mattress topper?

We also got a mattress topper from Dunelm, think it was about £30. It’s quite thin so much so we actually leave it fitted full time, no need to remove to shut the roof. Made quite a difference though for us, more comfortable and seems warmer
I’ll see if I can find the package it came in might have the name on it....
Was it this one in a small double size?

Was it this one in a small double size?

it was a small double, perfect size, width is spot on just slightly short. But I don’t think it was that one, it says 5cm thick and it’s nothing like that thick, you wouldn’t get the roof closed. Might have been this one, I found the packing but I’d removed the label.. I’ll have to open the roof and have a look, maybe tomorrow if it’s not wet...

So I went to Dunelm today and picked up this: https://www.dunelm.com/product/rebound-mattress-topper-1000027854

It was only £32, feels like it might help. I'll try and test it this week end.

The crucial test will be if I can close the roof with it up there ( it's pretty squishy). When I test it am I just checking it seals well around the edge and no doming of the roof??

Crucial test - is it comfortable? ;)

So I went to Dunelm today and picked up this: https://www.dunelm.com/product/rebound-mattress-topper-1000027854

It was only £32, feels like it might help. I'll try and test it this week end.

The crucial test will be if I can close the roof with it up there ( it's pretty squishy). When I test it am I just checking it seals well around the edge and no doming of the roof??
I’d be worried that at 5cm deep closing the roof would be a problem, the one we got was probably only 1.5cm deep and squishes down to nothing so no worries with leaving in place. I guess if it’s too deep the roof won’t seal properly and you might get water Ingres but might not notice until it’s too late. To be safe I’d probably only put it up there with the roof open and store it with the roof down, they don’t take up much room. Hope it helps with the comfort of your bed :thumb

I’d be worried that at 5cm deep closing the roof would be a problem, the one we got was probably only 1.5cm deep and squishes down to nothing so no worries with leaving in place. I guess if it’s too deep the roof won’t seal properly and you might get water Ingres but might not notice until it’s too late. To be safe I’d probably only put it up there with the roof open and store it with the roof down, they don’t take up much room. Hope it helps with the comfort of your bed :thumb
Bet the topper is only 5cm thick when fully fluffed up and no pressure on it then as soon as weight is applied it'll only be about 1cm thick so the roof will close fine, fingers crossed ;)

5cm is a generous measurement. The samples in dunelm were a lot slimmer. I’ll let you know how I get on,

I have the same issue as original OP and wondered if upstairs bed could be comfier with addition of a topper - after reading various threads on forum the Silent night topper was a favourite and I can confirm a big thumbs up from me as well. Packs away small and just thick enough to take the edge off the slats upstairs and at £32 Amazon not too experience Link to topper in Amazon

I have the same issue as original OP and wondered if upstairs bed could be comfier with addition of a topper - after reading various threads on forum the Silent night topper was a favourite and I can confirm a big thumbs up from me as well. Packs away small and just thick enough to take the edge off the slats upstairs and at £32 Amazon not too experience Link to topper in Amazon
Link not working, what size did you get?

So I've finally tested it. It seems pretty comfy, by sadly the roof doesn't close properly, so back to the drawing board!

So I've finally tested it. It seems pretty comfy, by sadly the roof doesn't close properly, so back to the drawing board!
So I've finally been back to Dunelm and exchanged the rebound topper for the for Fogarty Superfull. This is looking a lot more promising, it's thinner but does seem to add some extra comfort. The roof nearly closes - there is a tiny gap at the rear.

I'll see if it packs down at the rear over the next couple of days. Plan B is to only hook it on to the mattress rather than the additional grey block at the back as I think that's is where it gets tight. We're going away this weekend so I'll let you know how we get on and if it's worth £30!

So I've finally been back to Dunelm and exchanged the rebound topper for the for Fogarty Superfull. This is looking a lot more promising, it's thinner but does seem to add some extra comfort. The roof nearly closes - there is a tiny gap at the rear.

I'll see if it packs down at the rear over the next couple of days. Plan B is to only hook it on to the mattress rather than the additional grey block at the back as I think that's is where it gets tight. We're going away this weekend so I'll let you know how we get on and if it's worth £30!
It’s comfy! We both think it’s a good upgrade and the roof closes with it fitted. Result!

Hi Matt, is this just with the standard roof bellows? I have an internal isotop and would love to find something more comfortable than the standard mattress that could be left in place but could cope with the additional material of the isotop in the space as well (without buying a 2nd sea to summit inflatable..... if possible)

Hi Matt, is this just with the standard roof bellows? I have an internal isotop and would love to find something more comfortable than the standard mattress that could be left in place but could cope with the additional material of the isotop in the space as well (without buying a 2nd sea to summit inflatable..... if possible)
Hi, I don’t have an isotop or similar so I’m afraid I’ve got no idea how tight and isotop makes it. It’s the back end which is v tight. I’ve hooked the mattress topper on the end of the main mattress (not the extension pad at the far end). The excess topper is tucked under the front end of the mattress. I’ve then got a club mattress protector over the top holding it neatly in place. I think I’m pushing the limits on roof closure. The topper is only £30 so it’s not too much of a risk to take compared to other options. As it’s bedding dunelm don’t allow a refund but a blagged ah exchange on the previous one as I didn’t use it.

Well done on the exchange - look forward to hearing any further updates. Cheers

We have had the VW comfort madras for three years. Its ok but for me who always sleep on the side a bit hard. I bought a 80€ 160x200 Talgje and tried it on top of the VW madras.
Works perfectly well:
2020030406215141--3314092941271840660-IMG_0544_heic-X4.jpg

Back