Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mattress topper question for 2020

C

CaliKate

Guest User
Hi everyone! How are you all doing? I’m away in our wonderful van, finally!! After what has felt like the wettest winter on record.

Anyway, I’m suffering from an uncomfortable sleep. Getting sore hips on downstairs bed. Any suggestions for a topper please?

Looking at Duvalay but people saying it’s too hot. Then looking at Zonesleeper, and people saying it’s quite hard still. Hugely confused.

What has worked for you? Mainly for downstairs?
And for upstairs too?

Using a featherdown topper currently but not quite cutting it. And have the VW comfort mattress downstairs and standard mattress upstairs too.

I know it’s down to personal taste but any help with what to consider would be much appreciated! Hope you’re all well! :)

We use it with a sleeping bag if it's really hot just put the bag on top and sleep on that always been OK had matress for 9 years

We use it with a sleeping bag if it's really hot just put the bag on top and sleep on that always been OK had matress for 9 years
Awesome! Thanks for the update. It’s a very confusing decision to make. They’re expensive so want to get it right.

I currently use the VW comfort mattress and a John Lewis topper. My hips hurt, man!

Just a little tip put the seat belt clips under the seat . It lifts up just enough and makes it more comfortable.

Hi everyone! How are you all doing? I’m away in our wonderful van, finally!! After what has felt like the wettest winter on record.

Anyway, I’m suffering from an uncomfortable sleep. Getting sore hips on downstairs bed. Any suggestions for a topper please?

Looking at Duvalay but people saying it’s too hot. Then looking at Zonesleeper, and people saying it’s quite hard still. Hugely confused.

And for upstairs too?

Using a featherdown topper currently but not quite cutting it. And have the VW comfort mattress downstairs and standard mattress upstairs too.

I know it’s down to personal taste but any help with what to consider would be much appreciated! Hope you’re all well! :)
View from your van Kate, wanted to be away this weekend as I too have been waiting for better weather but ended up house hunting with number 1 sprog.

View from your van Kate, wanted to be away this weekend as I too have been waiting for better weather but ended up house hunting with number 1 sprog.
It’s been lovely! Was cooking outside last night for the first time since we got the van in September!? It’s just been raining all that time!

Sunshine this morning too!
322F74B0-6CA2-403A-8506-DC4F231F7B05.jpeg

It’s been lovely! Was cooking outside last night for the first time since we got the van in September!? It’s just been raining all that time!

Sunshine this morning too!
View attachment 56063
Yes we got ours in September went to Italy for 3 weeks and only managed one weekend in the lakes. Role on spring fingers crossed.

One thing worth mentioning, I find if I haven't slept in the van for a few months then on the first night I get sore hips/thighs, but after that night all is good. My body just needs one night to get used to it :)

And for upstairs too?

Search in the forums for Sea to Summit self inflating mattress. Seems like a good solution.

One thing worth mentioning, I find if I haven't slept in the van for a few months then on the first night I get sore hips/thighs, but after that night all is good. My body just needs one night to get used to it :)
Same here for Me and my hubby. Doing some tai chi and qigong next morning stretches out all the kinks.

We had a similar issue, this worked for us...
Rejuvopedic New Microfibre Single Bed Mattress Topper Protector - from Amazon £26,
in a single duvet cover
Rolls or folds into a smaller bag for storage

And for upstairs too?

We had the same problem and bought a thicker mattress for our 2017 T6 Ocean and it improved the sleep greatly. As we are expecting delivery of our Grand California any day now I will soon be putting it up for sale. Message me if you are interested.

take a look at this thread :
sea to summit self inflating mattress 4 inch height when inflated, make it as hard/soft as you like.
Hello, can I ask how easy it is to un- inflate, as the one I got from Decathlon was a nightmare and knocked over all the morning cups of tea

Hello, can I ask how easy it is to un- inflate, as the one I got from Decathlon was a nightmare and knocked over all the morning cups of tea

We rolled it up and deflated it together. Then secured with bungee cords. Some put it in the roof, out of the way, deflated. So it frees up loads of room. I can imagine it's going to be more of a hassle than the Comfort mattress but it's far comfier so I'm ok with the effort.

We roll it up and unroll again while it is in place in the roof bed. Takes 2 minutes. Alternatively, you can use a small electric air pump to extract the air. Can be found at amazon or ebay for 10 to 15 euros.No need to extract all air, just enough to make it fit under the roof when closed. Remember you have 2 valves that can be arranged to let the air out and not in again while deflating.

We roll it up and unroll again while it is in place in the roof bed. Takes 2 minutes. Alternatively, you can use a small electric air pump to extract the air. Can be found at amazon or ebay for 10 to 15 euros.No need to extract all air, just enough to make it fit under the roof when closed. Remember you have 2 valves that can be arranged to let the air out and not in again while deflating.

Do you keep the roof bed mattress and put the mat on top, please? Trying to figure out what works! :)

Do you keep the roof bed mattress and put the mat on top, please? Trying to figure out what works! :)
This mattress replaces all original existing mattresses in our cali : 2 parts of the mattress in the roof and the comfort mattress we had downstairs. If necessary to sleep downstairs we move it from upstairs to downstairs.
This way you save a lot of space and some weight. Of course if you need to sleep with more than 2 you wil have to keep either top or downstairs original mattress in the car.

This mattress replaces all original existing mattresses in our cali : 2 parts of the mattress in the roof and the comfort mattress we had downstairs. If necessary to sleep downstairs we move it from upstairs to downstairs.
This way you save a lot of space and some weight. Of course if you need to sleep with more than 2 you wil have to keep either top or downstairs original mattress in the car.
Super helpful and very much appreciated. Thanks, Roger!

Ikea Talgje 120x190. Comfortable and cheap at £50 (reduced from £60). Folds up inside the standard comfort mattress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back