Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

More privacy from front windows.

Pete M

Pete M

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
It would appear that we can't really go any darker legally with the front windows, I only wanted to so when we were parked up and sat on the front seats it wasn't like being in a goldfish bowl.

Now I'm thinking of something easily removable, 21 century net curtains so to speak, maybe a couple of those screens that sucker onto the glass, the ones that help keep sun off of children on the back seat could work?

It would appear that we can't really go any darker legally with the front windows, I only wanted to so when we were parked up and sat on the front seats it wasn't like being in a goldfish bowl.

Now I'm thinking of something easily removable, 21 century net curtains so to speak, maybe a couple of those screens that sucker onto the glass, the ones that help keep sun off of children on the back seat could work?
Halfords do some sunshade "bags" which slip over the top of the door, but don't attach to the window, so you can sit in private with the window open. Don't know what you'll do about the windscreen though.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/ca...es/halfords-rear-window-sunshade-large-square

I've never considered this as a problem. You could sit in the back or just look at the view. The ultimate would be to fix the sleep blinds in place. A saying springs to mind " There's nowt stranger than folk ".

I've never considered this as a problem. You could sit in the back or just look at the view. The ultimate would be to fix the sleep blinds in place. A saying springs to mind " There's nowt stranger than folk ".
I don't want to block everything out!!! Do you have privacy glass in the rear if so what's the difference?

Just the VW standard Privacy. Difficult to tell if someone is inside from 3/4 ft during day. Easier by night with light on inside.

Everyone's different - I have the rear privacy glass and would be happier without it! It doesn't bother me enough to change it though.

Agree with WG. The rear privacy glass is quite effective in daylight. Sat in the back, especially with front seats swivelled, it is also quite difficult to see into the rear from the front looking through the windscreen.

Just had a thought, the Hindermann screen that fits on the outside can be folded down and underneath is a privacy mesh that allows you to see out but not in. It keeps the van cool without that Blackout snag.

Certainly a lot cheaper. I’m considering one of these.

The silverscreen ones do have some nice options though. I particularly like the option to have a silvered panel inserted that allows you to look out from the inside of the van, and potentially even drive the van (illegally I suspect) in an emergency, while preventing folks from looking in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had our front side windows tinted so they just within the legal limit. Did for appearance and security. The side windows as standard are just toughend glass so easy to shatter with just a single blow. Not so when film clear or tinted is fitted

You could try somewhere like this https://www.carshades.co.uk/ and see if they'll make some shades for the front doors for you

The transparency of meshes works from the darker side towards the brighter side. At night, with the interior lights on, this means you see inside. I made some DIY to block the view from the front towards the bed area during daytime or when the lights are dimmed at night (with the back windows limo tinted).
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...se-t6-ocean-interior.25087/page-8#post-314794
These silver screens are all too claustrophobic to me. I need to extend my range of visual control.

The OP (granted it was a couple of years ago) wanted something he could put up when he was parked and sat in the front seats, The clip in shades looked to be the ideal solution.