Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mork calling Mindy - smaller rear parcel shelf query ?

paul.roberts

paul.roberts

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Nanoo Nanoo fellow Cali owners, I have just had my cherry popped and agreed on the purchase of my 2 yr old Cali last week (picking it up next week). Can anyone please confirm if they have managed to buy a hinged rear parcel shelf so that the boot loading space is reduced thus increasing living space area ?> I have heard of a multiflex board for the beach and caravelle and heard rumours of something similar for the Cali. Basically, if you reflect on the conversions market, they all use r&r/rib beds with much smaller boot spaces so I guess I am trying to emulate that really. ?

:help

Reactions: DMC
The rear parcel shelf will just remove if you want more living space( or carry big things in the back. It forms an integer all part of the rock and roll bed though so only useful if you are sleeping upstairs. ( sorry if this is obvious)

As said if you are sleeping upstairs you could remove the rear shelf and push the seat back as far as the overhead locker :thumb

thanks for the Andy
i guess then there is the issue we re-upholstery ? but not impossible i suppose

You could get nick at comfortz to make you a mattress to size :thumb

i have made my own shorter rear parcel shelf - it's the best modification i have done -it shortens the bed to 6feet but allows full use of the front cupboard when the bed is in use- this not only gives more legroom but allows use of the cupboard for a porta poti.
there is still enough room in the boot for all our gear -(just returned from an 11 day trip with 3 adults and two dogs)
very simple to make from plywood using the metal frame as a template .two shed type bolts at the rear engage in the original bolt holes and two screw on legs placed at the front support the base. you will then have to cover the base with a sheet of foam to bring it to the same level as the lowered back rest
hope this may help you

Very helpful indeed guys
Thanks
May see you saturday if you are at the meet
I write this tonight as i christen the newbie Cali on ots maiden voyage

i have made my own shorter rear parcel shelf - it's the best modification i have done -it shortens the bed to 6feet but allows full use of the front cupboard when the bed is in use- this not only gives more legroom but allows use of the cupboard for a porta poti.
there is still enough room in the boot for all our gear -(just returned from an 11 day trip with 3 adults and two dogs)
very simple to make from plywood using the metal frame as a template .two shed type bolts at the rear engage in the original bolt holes and two screw on legs placed at the front support the base. you will then have to cover the base with a sheet of foam to bring it to the same level as the lowered back rest
hope this may help you
Would it be practical to make a half size rear shelf that is hinged and opens to full size when the bed is required. The cushion could also fold in a similar manner?

Would it be practical to make a half size rear shelf that is hinged and opens to full size when the bed is required. The cushion could also fold in a similar manner?
I think you would have to have some cunning Z type hinge to lose or extend the middle of the shelf as both ends are "sculpted" and have metalwork on them, or you have it extending somehow - but I can see it being a worthy addition. I have pondered myself making the same but don't have a workshop any more. My aim would be to allow me to travel with the 5th seat and still make a slightly shorter bed - but that would also allow opening of the cupboard if that was your goal.

I think you would have to have some cunning Z type hinge to lose or extend the middle of the shelf as both ends are "sculpted" and have metalwork on them, or you have it extending somehow - but I can see it being a worthy addition. I have pondered myself making the same but don't have a workshop any more. My aim would be to allow me to travel with the 5th seat and still make a slightly shorter bed - but that would also allow opening of the cupboard if that was your goal.
Rather than a hinge, I am now thinking of a lift out section which can be placed over the remaining bit until it is required for the bed. The cushion would need to fold too.

Back