Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Motor home show Birmingham

nasa959B

nasa959B

Ocean, 150 DSG.
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, any one got discount code for motor home show Birmingham. Always looking to save a buck or two:)

Hello folks!

So we're just back from the 2016 Motorhome & Caravan show in Birmingham. Please don't read this as an official journalistic review, but we thought we'd share a few of the things we learned from this years visit. So here goes:

1. There is no doubt, the appetite for Motorhoming, Caravaning, Campervanning, whatever you wish to call it, is growing. We were astonished by the numbers this year. Everywhere appeared to be packed out. Even the stall selling 'Dreamcatchers'! Great to see the enthusiam.
  2. Westfalia and Danbury still continue to demonstrate some really lovely alternatives to the California. In fact, a key word we thought of as we walked around was 'innovation'. Danbury and Westfalia do seem to take that seriously. It did make us both think that, given the technology available now, perhaps VW could have been a little more adventurous with their new T6 version. In our humble opinion of course.
  3. For those wanting a little more comfort, but wishing to retain the relative flexibility, the Hymer Car and the Burstner equivalent, do offer some serious CamperVan competition. Given our route to Cali ownership came via initially renting motorhomes, it's certainly an option we might have considered if they'd been available when buying!
  4. Every person you're parked next too over the coming months and into next year is likely to have a Cadac Safari. Everyone there seemed to be buying one!
  5. Motorhomes are set to take over the world. We looked at a map of the show layout and noted just how much was now dedicated to Motorhomes. Significantly more than last year. Easily 50% of the floor space. Yep, there were some serious sales going on in these areas.
  6. We could never buy ANYTHING from a stand playing Ronan Keating. Our ears cannot ignore it. :mad:
  7. Some of the Trailer Tent technology gets more and more impressive, year on year. If we hadn't the money to stretch to a Camper at the time, some of the Trailer Tents now available would have been a real option.
  8. Finally got a glimpse of the new VW bike rack on a Bilbo conversion. We thought it looked ok.
  9. Yet again we wondered why VW don't have a stand there. I'm sure there are many people there who would have liked to be able to compare.
  10. Well...our final point. On reflection, as we we driving home thinking about everything. Based on our needs today, we wouldn't swap our 'Foxy'. There were some great alternatives, but right now, we're happy. So why would we want to change that :)
Would love to hear thoughts from anyone else who went along.

Had an enjoyable day there today too....was most excited by the number of Calis in the car parks! I only found one Cali in the show itself on the Khyam stand. Have no regrets whatsoever about choosing a Cali over the alternatives. There were some good conversions there but none of them come close in my opinion.

I was really impressed with the array of accessories on sale and now have a new awning dilemma as posted elsewhere.

I enjoyed the stands representing European campsites and particular the free cheese and sausages!

Have to agree the Hymer Car did offer quite a lot more for not much bigger size. Wouldn't be great on soft grass I guess but wouldn't need to read 'having a poo in a bag' threads.

I looked very hard at the hymercar last year. It's quite something. For me though the downfall was the extra height, which means a lot of height barriers, including those on French tolls, will not be cleared.

The loo is very attractive, but then has a 335 sized tank I believe so if wild camping same problem of disposing remains but not an insurmountable problem.

However, I did drool, and also at the Westie club joker.

Yes, definitely agree on the Westie Club Joker. Spent quite a while looking at that on Saturday. Really impressed with the finish and some really clever uses of space.

We wouldn't be looking to change at present, but both that and the Hymer would be serious considerations for us in the future.

Back