Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

viewing a cali at the Birmingham show?

H

Haze

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
hi all,

just at the very early stages of looking at buying a Cali or a conversion. i noticed that there is the motor home show in Birmingham next week, but no sign on their website of there being a vw stand. anyone have any experience of whether this is a good place to get an overview of the Cali and various conversions or is it more aimed at the bigger motor homes? we're only an hours train ride from Birmingham but don't want to totally waste a day if we don't even get to see a Cali! thanks for any help!

Good place to look at some of the larger convertors but some of the smaller ones are doing excellent work at the moment.

Take a look at the T5 forum to get a view of some.

VW usually have a VERY poor showing, if anything at the Motorhome show... You are sometimes lucky as the likes of Khyam may have one on their stand.

If it was looking for Cali's only then I'd suggest it's not the best place.

If you want a real crawl round one, see if there's a member close... Many on here are only too happy to give a full tour with the good and bad points.

I'm based in Northants and if you're close, happy to help.

Rgds
Mark

thanks mark, that's useful - we're based in somerset (bath) if there are any members nearby who wouldn't mind us taking a look sometime?
thanks again!

Hi
its good to check out the motorhome show at the nec as there are lots of convertors their, just to remind oneself nothing compares to the build and quality of a Cali :thumb

there was only one cali at the show in march and that was one for hire nothing from vw at all.

dave and lisa

I can only add that after looking at some excellent conversions at the show last year, we were convinced that a Cali was the best answer.

VW put a Cali on there stand as a last minute thing last year along side 2 tow cars on the stand.
We went to the show to look at the conversions but saw the Cali and that was it.
Start totting up the extras on the conversions and look at the the things you cannot even get that are standard on the Cali and they can be more expensive to buy. So at least a 140bhp engine ,double glazing , heated seats, folding mirrors, alloy wheels, diesel heater , chairs in the tailgate , table in the door and all standard and the list goes on. If you can live without these then the conversions can be a cost effective alternative.
The couple in the Bilbo next to us in Italy were amazed at the space in the roof of our Cali as theirs had the side lifting roof and was only good for kids. Also the rock n roll bed really limited storage during travelling, so much so that they had to go in a hotel as a stopover enroute as without using there awning they had nowhere to store there stuff at night and use the lower bed.
The Cali is not perfect for some (door on wrong side) but for us it was the least compromised vehicle we viewed.
But whatever you decide I'm sure you will enjoy it.

thanks for the comments everyone, appreciate the help!

I was in the same boat last year so we went to the NEC in March to look at the conversions. We then had a look at our local VW Van centre and realised going for the real deal was the better option. Why pay £40,000 to £50,000 for a conversion when you can get the genuine article for the same(ish) price

Campervantastic will have a Cali at the NEC:

'Campervantastic will be displaying a VW California and a selection of useful Brandrup and campervan accessories at the NEC next week. These accessories will be available to buy online or at our London store. We will be alongside Khyam's Quick Erect range of Motordome tents on Stand 11-100. Khyam tents will be available to buy but stocks are limited.'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

oh that's great, thanks for letting me know. will definitely try and get to the show!

No probs, by 'cvt' I meant Campervantastic (for some reason my iPhone cut that to cvt!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free