Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My storm kettle

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Storm kettles are great. I have a Kellie kettle. This camping trip I just took my kk (without the fire bowl) and my Cobb bbq/oven/grill.

At the end of a cook If there’s just a little oomph left in the coals or with some scrag end charcoal bits (extinquished after a previous cook) I can use the kettle on the Cobb.

Here it is with a few dry twigs/small supplementing the little bit of charcoal that’s left. It’s the only time you can safely use fuel that creates a flame in the Cobb as it all goes up the chimney and nowhere near the grommets or plastic ring.

914C0760-BC7F-40BF-9301-496AD467BE02.jpeg

Storm kettles are great. I have a Kellie kettle. This camping trip I just took my kk (without the fire bowl) and my Cobb bbq/oven/grill.

At the end of a cook If there’s just a little oomph left in the coals or with some scrag end charcoal bits (extinquished after a previous cook) I can use the kettle on the Cobb.

Here it is with a few dry twigs/small supplementing the little bit of charcoal that’s left. It’s the only time you can safely use fuel that creates a flame in the Cobb as it all goes up the chimney and nowhere near the grommets or plastic ring.

View attachment 65203
That brings back great camping memories from the 70's, the Kelly Kettles are so efficient.

That brings back great camping memories from the 70's, the Kelly Kettles are so efficient.
If you have ever used a storm kettle there’s something very nostalgic when you get it out again. Do you still have one KGKali?

Coupled with the Cobb it’s great because as well as all that lovely hot water it acts as a charcoal starter and accelerator. Also I can sear meat/veg or start off a cook on top of the chimney (with the pot stand) before the Cobb is even hot and ready.

It’s a good way to start any kind of camp fire or bbq too. As long as you can get air in from the bottom to draw up the chimney it’s very effective.

They can be used on gas, I found out recently, but you have to put something over the chimney top so there’s only a small gap or too much heat is lost, but it’s not as efficient.

It’s always very interesting using it on a club site that allows charcoal but not fire. If the warden’s are, shall we say, “very keen“ on rules, they might come over and say “you can’t use that thing on here!“ When you show them it’s charcoal they get very suspicious and usually quote all the rules about not using fire. Once a warden went to the office and printed me a letter from head office, despite me saying I wasn’t going to! Makes me chuckle every time.

Last edited: