Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mystery Object, any ideas?

Jodalo

Jodalo

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hello Folks,

I recently discovered the item in the attached image on my driveway where my Cali is usually parked. It would have been beneath the engine bay of the vehicle. It is 40mm diameter and 8mm thick and is a hard rubber material. Appears to be some sort of washer/shim and looks like an automotive part.

It is totally alien to me and no other vehicles park in that area. I’ve had a good look underneath the front of the Cali but can’t really see where it may have come from. Any ideas gratefully appreciated.
2ABA4FA3-98E1-4745-B078-03FE2970B878.png

Hello Folks,

I recently discovered the item in the attached image on my driveway where my Cali is usually parked. It would have been beneath the engine bay of the vehicle. It is 40mm diameter and 8mm thick and is a hard rubber material. Appears to be some sort of washer/shim and looks like an automotive part.

It is totally alien to me and no other vehicles park in that area. I’ve had a good look underneath the front of the Cali but can’t really see where it may have come from. Any ideas gratefully appreciated.
View attachment 66349
Could be one of the Body Floor Pan caps/plugs, Maybe No’s 11.
960E564A-0ADB-4D9B-9345-215606C1F9C9.jpeg

It looks like the blanking plug I had come out of the turn knob for my rear sliding tray (the blank covers the bolt head)

It looks like the blanking plug I had come out of the turn knob for my rear sliding tray (the blank covers the bolt head)
Ok, I haven’t got a sliding tray, so I think it’s from somewhere else. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Cheers

Could be one of the Body Floor Pan caps/plugs, Maybe No’s 11.
View attachment 66350
Well I’ve had a good look under the van as best I can without a ramp and I can’t see any of the plugs due to the underside plastic covers. Looking at the diagram though, it looks highly likely that part 11 is THE part. In view of the number of them on the vehicle it’s quite possible that one has dropped out. I’ll save it for the next service and see what VW have to say, but in the meantime thanks Welsh Gas for your help.

Floor bungs are bigger and a different shape to your object
Yes it’s quite hard to id something from a diagram, the trouble is I can’t see the part 11 without removing the under panels which I’m loath to do. Hopefully it doesn’t look like a critical part so I’ll grin and bear it for now. I’ve just had a reply back from MI5, they say it’s not one of their’s. Lol

It looks exactly like the plant pot raisers we use on our decking in the garden.
Any chance of a pic? Because we do have lots of strange things left in our garden by foxes/cubs etc. Quite possible as we live in a ‘mega plant pot area’. Food for thought.

Thank you Dephie I think you have cracked the mystery. This is what I love about this forum, the wealth of collective knowledge is vast. That is definitely the mystery object as per my measurements. Thank you very much and to all who offered ideas. Peace of mind returns.

Well I have just read this thread and am impressed to say the least. Everything from detailed body floor pan cup maps to the Hercule Poirot of plant pot raisers. Impressive one and all, and as you say Jodalo the wealth of the collective knowledge is vast. This place is The Borg of California collective knowledge !!!!!images.jpg

Well I have just read this thread and am impressed to say the least. Everything from detailed body floor pan cup maps to the Hercule Poirot of plant pot raisers. Impressive one and all, and as you say Jodalo the wealth of the collective knowledge is vast. This place is The Borg of California collective knowledge !!!!!View attachment 66371
Does that open up to reveal a porta potti?

Back