Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The coffee thread

I know I shall get into trouble here but I just can't help myself!

Why do people want frothy milk for a latte? Coffee with froth on top is cappuccino - coffee shops have now invented a name for what should be a latte, they call it a 'flat white'. Very odd.

Hope I'm not 'polluting' this thread - the above is coffee related after all............

:oops:

I know I shall get into trouble here but I just can't help myself!

Why do people want frothy milk for a latte? Coffee with froth on top is cappuccino - coffee shops have now invented a name for what should be a latte, they call it a 'flat white'. Very odd.

Hope I'm not 'polluting' this thread - the above is coffee related after all............

:oops:
Nooooo, Latte is milk in in last and cappuccino is milk in first.

Last edited:
Nooooo, Latte is milking in last and cappuccino is milk in first.
Surely not! Cappuccino is a shot of espresso topped with steamed frothed milk.

does anyone have a tip for a simple Cali-friendly manual milk frother for use with an Aeropress or other low-tech coffee brewer??
We have one of these battery operated goodies;
IMG_2714.jpg

But my two like a lot of hot chocolate so we have the small dualit electric milk frother as it does both really well and its only 500w.
231706525 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Great thread.
Coffee at home is made with our Bialetti Moka express espresso maker(have x3 different sizes) on the gas hob ,added to cold milk which we then give a quick blast in the microwave. It's called a calimera coffee.

Like the look of dualit but worried about its longevity after reading reviews.

To make coffee easier in the Cali we are going to try
image.jpeg
Bialetti Tuttocrema milk frother ,can use it directly on the hob . Heat to required temperature & froth if wanted

Last edited:
This is my solution to frothed milk in the field, slightly large but effective.
d383acb087e57017c3244c9c1b25431c.jpg

It's kind of a cross between a mokka pot and steamer.

The coffee is the strongest coffee hit I ever had, like Klatchian coffee. Some foamed.milk helps tone it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You lot are a nightmare

I now realise that I am also a novice in the ways of coffee!

Aeropress ordered and on route

Mike

@MattBW ,
Do you take that in your Cali on trips?
If the customs check your verhicle they might think it's a homemade bomb....
;)

You lot are a nightmare

I now realise that I am also a novice in the ways of coffee!

Aeropress ordered and on route

Mike
Talking to the experts at the roasters where I get my beans. They all rate the Aeropress..... I'm tempted!

Talking to the experts at the roasters where I get my beans. They all rate the Aeropress..... I'm tempted!

Use my aeropress daily before work it's great for a single cup of coffee with milk or double espresso. Highly rated .

There are several reasons why AeroPress coffee tastes so good:

• Total immersion of the grounds in the water results in rapid yet robust extraction of flavor.

• Total immersion permits extraction at a moderate temperature, resulting in a smoother brew.

• Air pressure shortens filtering time to 20 seconds. This avoids the bitterness of long
    processes such as drip brewing.

• The air pressure also gently squeezes the last goodness from the grounds, further enriching the flavor.

• Because of the lower temperature and short brew time, the acid level of the brew is much lower than conventional brewers. Laboratory pH testing measured AEROPRESS brew's acid as less than one fifth that of regular drip brew. The low acid is confirmed by coffee lovers who report that AEROPRESS brew is
    friendlier to their stomachs.
Negative only makes a single cup.

The coffee is the strongest coffee hit I ever had, like Klatchian coffee. Some foamed.milk helps tone it down.

Amazing Matt. My husband wants one.

We find the coffee from cafe/ restaurants too weak in the UK.
Usually drink a double espresso or macchiato.

Our favourite warm up drink when skiing in Italy is caffe bombardino.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
d383acb087e57017c3244c9c1b25431c.jpg

Like it! Here's my set up, popcorn maker to roast the beans, hand grinder and a bit of Italian engineering to brew and steam. Sadly I have to compromise with a simple conical filter in the Cali but it does keep the mess to a minimum.

Like it! Here's my set up, popcorn maker to roast the beans, hand grinder and a bit of Italian engineering to brew and steam. Sadly I have to compromise with a simple conical filter in the Cali but it does keep the mess to a minimum.

I have been pondering a hand grinder for the van. I've started to really notice the difference of beans ground just before making the coffee and I can't unnotice it now.

Last edited:
I have been pondering a hand grinder for the van. I've started to really notice the difference of beans not ground just before making the coffee and I can't unnotice it now.

Hand grinders do slow the process but it makes the whole coffee drinking thing a bit of a ritual and more satisfying. Pretentious eh! If you get one, Porlex do a compact one, ideal for the Cali.

Bloody hell Matt, are you moonlighting as a surgeon and need something like that to sterilise your instruments?

(Also, where can I get one of those?)

Mine was second hand and ordered all the way from the USA, it was made in the 70s. I think I paid about £20 for it and about a £15 to ship it. A bargain really. Search for bellman, stovetop or atomic coffee and you will find them and similar. The only part that can really go wrong is the seal and the threads, so they last well as mine has (40+ years).

There is the atomic coffee machine which is similar but very expensive but still made in Australia. I couldn't justify the cost so went second hand from ebay.

Interesting guide on how they work here:
https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/pdf/Atomic Coffee Machine a quick look.pdf

Are available brand new but aren't cheap, second hand ones pop up periodically.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stovetop-...787878?hash=item2a6cba7ea6:g:fe0AAOSwx-9W09Qs

Last edited:
Hand grinders do slow the process but it makes the whole coffee drinking thing a bit of a ritual and more satisfying. Pretentious eh! If you get one, Porlex do a compact one, ideal for the Cali.
I agree, I absolutely love the ritual of it. The more I learn about the coffee the more I realise I have only scratched the surface. It's half of the reason I have so many portable machines. I also love the challenge of making better coffee in a field or on the beach!! :D

Last edited:
@MattBW
Realy nice looking machine , looking forward to tase a cup ....
When can i come over?:D
I never liked coffee that much until a few years ago the senseo was popular.
So bought one and started drinking coffee at home only in the weekend and when friends are in....
Then we changed coffee suplier at work and we now got a machine that also grinds the beans when selecting the coffee .
Now a take one each morning at work (expresso)
There is looots of diffrence in taste than pre-grinded coffee!

Bought a small Bialetti expresso for in the Cali and now changed to a Bodum cafetiere ....
Thinking of getting a Aeropress ....

Interesting reading, I too may have to get an aeropress and join the clan.

I imported mine from the states when they were first released and have used it for years and it makes great coffee with little fuss and that satisfying "Pop" when you eject the coffee puck into the bin :)

Back