Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The coffee thread

Me to, but I do prefer the paper filters and water at about 90, not boiling.

What i was wondering and therefor was checking out google and youtube .
Does the filterpaper has a up or underside ....can imagine it makes a diffrence.
A regular paper koffiefilter you can only use one way , that is if you don't turn it inside out....:D.
Anyone noticed the difrence on the aeropress paper filters?

What i was wondering and therefor was checking out google and youtube .
Does the filterpaper has a up or underside ....can imagine it makes a diffrence.
A regular paper koffiefilter you can only use one way , that is if you don't turn it inside out....:D.
Anyone noticed the difrence on the aeropress paper filters?
Nope, same both sides.

How to make something that's quick and simple, incredibly complicated and slow!

Me to, but I do prefer the paper filters and water at about 90, not boiling.

I was looking at the metal filters for the camper but at the moment I just rinse and re-use a few times.
I very well may order a couple of those listed on eBay.

..message ends..

I was looking at the metal filters for the camper but at the moment I just rinse and re-use a few times.

..message ends..

Why does it say ....message ends.... on all your posts? Am I missing some forum etiquette?

..message ends..
I have a metal filter but find it easier and less messy to use paper, which you just bin with the grinds. The metal needs removing and rinsing, which in the Cali means grinds going into the waste tank with the potential for blocking. I also find the paper filters the grinds better. Having said all that I actually use a basic cone filter over a jug when in the Cali as it's easier to brew more than one cup in one go.

I have a metal filter but find it easier and less messy to use paper, which you just bin with the grinds. The metal needs removing and rinsing, which in the Cali means grinds going into the waste tank with the potential for blocking. I also find the paper filters the grinds better. Having said all that I actually use a basic cone filter over a jug when in the Cali as it's easier to brew more than one cup in one go.

Ah well at home I rinse the paper ones and reuse them a couple of times.

...me...

I might give an oomph a try :) good reviews from coffee experts and most importantly it stays hot :)

I'm too impatient - got fed up with watching him rabbiting on before he even got to the coffeemaking bit.......

I've been testing the Oomph coffee maker of late ready to review on my website. It is something akin to the aero press (don't own one) but apparently in development long before that appeared.

First impressions are that it is very well thought out. Seems a lot less messy than an aeropress or my minipresso. Quite consistent results too regardless of what grind I used.

So far so good.
ef8a45dd70381c74053e9fed7f85b238.jpg

bec58133ba4bf7aebde76f1e72b4d55b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had read a few reviews that were critical and was expecting to dislike it but its been ok so far. A few benefits:

Pros:
  • Doesn't seem to care about grind size, somehow works with anything.
  • Keeps coffee much warmer
  • Can be drank from the device or poured out
  • Easy to clean, less mess than an aeropress
Cons:
  • Quite large (but that means lots of coffee)
  • Leaky clip lid (only a problem on the move)
  • Ordered 24 hour delivery at extra cost but they didn't post it for 4 days so kind of pointless.

Basically, add coffee to desired line
Add water to top line
Stir coffee ten seconds.
Let water level stablise, top up if required
Wait 1 or 2 minutes
Plunge.
Drink.

The great thing about the Aeropress is that it takes up so little space.

The great thing about the Aeropress is that it takes up so little space.

I don't own an aeropress at the moment but when I get hold of one I will definitely compare the sizes and results. I suspect from looking that there are more pieces on an aeropress. This feels well engineered but again time will tell. This requires no filters and is self contained in one unit. I also managed to get two mugs of coffees out of it which my minipresso always takes an age to do.

I don't own an aeropress at the moment but when I get hold of one I will definitely compare the sizes and results. I suspect from looking that there are more pieces on an aeropress. This feels well engineered but again time will tell. This requires no filters and is self contained in one unit. I also managed to get two mugs of coffees out of it which my minipresso always takes an age to do.
@MattBW - are you on CFUK by chance?

I am a member although not knowledgable to contribute much. It's a very handy forum indeed!

Guessing you're on there too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes - I'm on it... As Daren. Mickey taker and frequent poster of rubbish. Love my coffee . Owner of Rocket Evo, Mythos, too many tampers, multiple Aeropresses Ooomph, Hario Slim, Hausegrind, Chemex, Kruve.... And most importantly freshly roasted beans.

Who are you on CFUK? I'll keep my eye out for you

Yes - I'm on it... As Daren. Mickey taker and frequent poster of rubbish. Love my coffee . Owner of Rocket Evo, Mythos, too many tampers, multiple Aeropresses Ooomph, Hario Slim, Hausegrind, Chemex, Kruve.... And most importantly freshly roasted beans.

Who are you on CFUK? I'll keep my eye out for you
Have you tried roasting your own beans? I have been using popcorn makers for home roasting ... Great fun and fills the house with a lovely aroma. The taste is not bad either,

I have tried, but it's definitely an art. I favour lighter roasts (just past first crack) and getting it right in the home environment is just to hard for me. When you consider the hard work put in by the coffee growers, pickers and importers it feels criminal for a cak handed oaf like me to b*lls it up at the end. I leave it to the professionals and buy mail order direct from roasters.

Back