Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Netherlands Bulbfield Trip

Fitz@CFB

Fitz@CFB

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Having gained so much helpful advice from consulting many of the various forum threads before buying our first Cali I now move to planning our trips for 2019 and seeking advice and input. We want to visit the Dutch bulbfield region SW of Amsterdam in April to see the tulips - possible visits include Keukenhof, Aalsmeer, Lisse, Leiden and Haarlem. If anyone has visited this area we would be very interested in hearing about the campsites you stayed in and if any are particularly worth a visit. Thanks. Fitz

E7C6ABFD-D622-44D2-BDA2-E5BEA8510438.jpeg B2500D9C-43EB-46C6-AF96-77916F2C6930.jpeg

Hi Fitz . We went April 17 on the way to Hannover via Normandy beaches . It was a great trip . We had 25 deg in Normandy , 18 deg in Amsterdam and snow in Hannover. Will ask Caligirl to put a list of campsites together but I’m sure you will get lots of advice on here .

Keukenhof was absolutely packed with tourists and very expensive to get in . Overrated in my opinion but Caligirl liked it .

Amsterdam was great we stayed on the only campsite in the North which is a short walk from the train . The only problem was it was Easter weekend . Luckily we just got there in time . Shortly after we arrived there must have been 50 plus vans queuing to get in . I’m sure they turned a lot away . My advice avoid Easter in Amsterdam.

BTW your avatar says you’ve got a 2018 T5 !

Trebor

thanks for your reply. We had assumed everywhere busy Easter week so we are trying for week before returning prior to good Friday. We will try to book sites if thats possible. look forward to hearing from Caligirl re sites.
newbie mistake on the Avatar1 - will adjust - it is a 2018 T6!
Cheers. Fitz

Having gained so much helpful advice from consulting many of the various forum threads before buying our first Cali I now move to planning our trips for 2019 and seeking advice and input. We want to visit the Dutch bulbfield region SW of Amsterdam in April to see the tulips - possible visits include Keukenhof, Aalsmeer, Lisse, Leiden and Haarlem. If anyone has visited this area we would be very interested in hearing about the campsites you stayed in and if any are particularly worth a visit. Thanks. Fitz
We enjoyed Gaasper Camping Amsterdam, to the south east of the city, easy walk through park to metro station. An ACSI site so easily booked and if you are lucky with the dates, decent value.
The ACSI site in Delft, Vakantiepark Delftse Hout was lovely as is the town a short walk/cycle ride from the site.

We enjoyed Gaasper Camping Amsterdam, to the south east of the city, easy walk through park to metro station. An ACSI site so easily booked and if you are lucky with the dates, decent value.
The ACSI site in Delft, Vakantiepark Delftse Hout was lovely as is the town a short walk/cycle ride from the site.
Agree with you there Belcrew, both good sites and the town Delft is worth a visit.

In my opinion the Keukenhof is overrated and far too touristic. In that area there are however a dozen nice campsites with view of the dunes, for instance near Lisse and Noordijkerhout. All at biking distance from the Keukenhof. As said above, avoid the Easter crowds.

Tip: in april and may, when the bulbs flower, just take your bike and drive around the big bulb fields of the farmers in that region. Free view of beautiful miles of colors.

Some forty kilometers north of Amsterdam, around the towns of Limmen, Egmond aan Zee and Heiloo, you find similar beautiful colored bulb fields, with dozens of biking routes. Less crowded. Still more north there are flower fields from farmers around Schagen, Callantsoog and Wieringermeer. Again, lots of campings.

In Limmen you find the Hortus Bulborum, a flower bulb garden with four thousand different species. I like it far more than the Keukenhof. Entrance is 5 euro per person.

HortusBulborum05m.jpg
Hortus Bulborum in Limmen.

If you use the (paid) camping app from Archies, you'll find all the campsites of Europe, including Holland. Or visit campercontact.com to see all the camper places in Holland (and Europe).

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Here you will also find flowerfields but most of all piece and quite....
Such a lovely site....beware : no kids allowed ! Thays why we love that site ...:D
https://indeverte.nl/

I surely wouldn't suggest you to come here round that period. ;)

(google Hallerbos/ Halle Belgium)
SM_6439hallerbos.jpg hallerbos_hf.jpg hallerbos004.jpg bluebells-572071.jpg haller-04.jpg Website-Hallerbos-03.jpg

North of Amsterdam is the small Village Landsmeer.
The Bus brings you in 10 minutes to the metro.
The Camping is called het Rietveen. www.campinghetrietveen.nl
Also on Bike you are in Amsterdam in 25 minutes

We did this at Easter three or four years ago, and stayed at one of the many campsites near Noordwijkerhout. We took our bikes and a nice few days cycling around, including a day at Keukenhof, which is just fantastic if you like tulips. It was also good to have the bikes and be able to park on the outskirts of Delft & Amsterdam & cycle into town.

We attempted this last year, but it was an early Easter and because of the ‘beast from the east’ the flowers were a month behind and there were lots of very disappointed tourists (me included) staring at empty fields. If you have any flexibility, wait and see what the winter brings as you might have to adjust timing.

We stayed on a caravan club site near Leiden, very quiet and peaceful. We loved Keukenhof but we are keen gardeners. We got the bus to Leiden and got the train in. We went on a water tour to the Rijs museum. The best dodge was that you bought your tickets at a kiosk near the station for a significant discount ànd didn't have to queue to get in. It saved us loads of time and money.

Back