Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New 680 coming in three weeks

MinnaJoukoPak

MinnaJoukoPak

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi,
We are getting our 680 at 28.3. from dealer in Finland. Heating with diesel. We have had three campers earlier , but not any during last 15 years. So it is a new start.
We are living in Finland, but now working in a project in Umbria, Italy for so far 2 years, ans stop working at the end of this year. Then I´ll be 68 old.
After getting our new 680, we are taking it ti Italy to make weekend-trips. From the end of this year we have planned to make trips to UK and south of Europe, Portugal, Spain etc. Also trips to north of Norway (Lofots) are in our plans. So planning a very active caravan-life for the rest of our lifetime. Hope situation in Europe is not getting any worse!

BR Jouko

Good luck to your expedition. and do not forget to update how 680 handles at the narrow lanes in the corner of Europe.

Good luck to your expedition. and do not forget to update how 680 handles at the narrow lanes in the corner of Europe.
I don't understand why people think a GC will have problems on narrow lanes?

At 6ft 8" its only fractionally wider than a lot of cars
car-width-restrictions-cars-too-wide-for-6-6-width-restrictions-Final-Final.pngcar-width-restrictions-cars-with-up-to-half-an-inch-clearance-either-side-Final-Final.pngcar-width-restrictions-cars-with-between-half-and-one-inch-either-side-Final-Final.png

View attachment 89939View attachment 89940View attachment 89941

Got your point, however from the last 7years of touring experience, I end up with very narrow lanes in the local places even with a California width. The length is more concern when turning at local roads.

I know It's because I have been in trying to avoid the crowded places. Touring with GC size, dep, more off grid.

Got your point, however from the last 7years of touring experience, I end up with very narrow lanes in the local places even with a California width. The length is more concern when turning at local roads.

I know It's because I have been in trying to avoid the crowded places. Touring with GC size, dep, more off grid.
Well, I have covered almost 10.000 miles in a GC 600 and 680 with no issues, that being Devon/Cornwall Wales, the NC 500 and a few of the Scottish Isles and mainly coastal sites.
Yes tight in places, but on arrival there were plenty of other vans wider and longer than the GC. I still go to sites that I visited in my T6. Chill.

Hi, Thanks for comments.
anyhow I think we are knowing what we are planning to do.
We have visited UK more than 10 times , with personal car and with motorbikes. We have an idea what are the roads and streets in villages and countryside.
At the other side we have been now living ,as I told, in Italy in Umbria, full of small roads at the mountain villages and our local home is in the very center of Old Terni City. So daily driving around here, and also with company´s Sprinter van, same size like GC 680.
So do not worry about our expedition ;)
Besides, we will have our bikes on rack to bike to the very small places.

View attachment 89939View attachment 89940View attachment 89941
You will have no issues with width, all the little silly roads tractors tend to go down them ok.
The length will be more of an issue but you have the 600 so still should be fine.
The 680 would of struggled today down Taynish nature reserve, the parking space area is tight and the passing places are short and very few. Just glad I didn’t meet the tractor bombing up and down it. Stunning place, will be posting about it bluemerleandthejoker