Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New 680 First Weekend Away Review

Bendwg

Bendwg

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi All.
So last Wednesday I got to pick up my 680. I ordered 28th January so a little over 3 months from order to delivery but it seems I dropped lucky there. I ordered most extras except the sat dish, air con unit and Wi-Fi. The reason been we are usually off grid so air con unit won’t work, don’t really watch tv except on fire stick and I have a mobile hotspot dongle that works perfectly well with 90gb a month free.
So we’ve spent this weekend on a camp field to test it all. And pleased to report all is good on the whole after a couple of minor teething issues. Night 1 it fell to minus 1 outside so at some point that appeared to trip the gas safety (yellow button on regulator) and the hot water. It didn’t drop the water and the heating (diesel) worked flawlessly throughout. I turned the boiler off and on again (takes about 2 mins to cycle down and back up) and that reset the water and 5 mins later we had hot water. The gas I just repressed the yellow toggle and again all well. Night 2 no issues at all.
I certainly recommend diesel heating as the aux heater to pre warm the van is fast and works from a distance. I pressed button at pub (200m + away) not expecting it to work but it was firing fine when we got to van.
Going to buy the Inet add on so can control main heating from phone to.
The fridge is surprisingly good. In fact it froze our stuff at first so we’ve learnt leave on two lights is enough. Freezer works well to.
We have the solar and despite rain and snow battery never dropped below 60%. Once turned fridge down it’s been around 80-100% all the time even when hearings on all day. I do have a second battery and inverter to fit but I’m now wondering whether to bother. I would be fitting both in tbe
Shower works fine, had to buy a shower head holder which I knew about so had that ready.
Table is a little big. I thought it was to big at first but having used it I think a little trim not a major change is what it’ll do. I’ll also use it to sit the travel cot on.
The bed is great, we had a king size topper with corner straps and a super king mattress cover over it and holds it all together well. We will carry a small step to put out on a night as it’s quiet high (1m).
The cab curtains aren’t as bad as feared and we chose to try them out rather than getting the external cover I bought wet. I’ve made the main screen one up and now just roll it up and leave above front seats made up. Takes 30seconds to fit now. Tip drop the sun visors before spinning seats.
I have added shelves in the grey rear storage as the cupboards are massive so to make best use I’ve put mid shelves in to put storage boxes on and under. Works great. Also added hanging rail in wardrobe.
Not sure where to add the TV yet. I think on wall behind rear seats is only real option which is fine just need to devise a bracket
as not wanting to drill into shower wall.
My only criticism is of the base vehicle really. I drove it home on Wednesday 250m mainly motorway and it was great, smooth and responsive. Once I’d worked out you can shorten the distances on the adaptive cruise it’s a lot better. It’s sensitive. It slows you to truck speed from about 100m away at first but you can shorten it to a more practical 15-20m. My criticism is that at slow country Lane speed 1st and 2nd seem a bit pointless. A lot of revs before it moves but I guess it’s probably because it’s so quiet when moving you hear the revs a lot more low down.
The sat nav is only other criticism. As others have said it defaults your position to off the bottom of screen for some reason. You can change 2D/3D views which helps a bit but it is odd.
Overall though really happy with it.

C71805A2-28C0-4C90-8C72-E41535A467AC.jpeg

9307BA41-824A-4794-85D5-B5DBC360F7AF.jpeg

Nice to read such a write up. Thanks for that.
I believe you have come from a Karmann Colorado, no regrets?

Nice to read such a write up. Thanks for that.
I believe you have come from a Karmann Colorado, no regrets?
I have indeed. Different animals really. Loved the Karmann but we decided to go to a more narrow road friendly vehicle as we like to be off the beaten track. There’s more storage in the GC for prams etc as we have a little one to.
The GC is a lot more refined and I think better build quality which you’d expect as 10 years younger

Hi Ben, we are on our second week away in our new 680 and I would agree whole heartedly with all of your observations. Spot on review from our experience.

Thanks for the update. Really appreciated. Could I ask what insurance is and road tax. Is it the higher rate of £480 as its a VW built campervan. I think other campervan types pay £280 month. After 5 years someone said it actually goes lower than the current £280.

Thanks for the update. Really appreciated. Could I ask what insurance is and road tax. Is it the higher rate of £480 as its a VW built campervan. I think other campervan types pay £280 month. After 5 years someone said it actually goes lower than the current £280.
Paddy £165 as its phg for tax. My insurance is with comfort and with forum discount a little over £400.

wow, that's amazing Ben. Love the number plate. The other half is trying to get me to go with the Wildax Elara, can get one for £73k but its a year old. Only 1200 miles on the clock. Pay load is only 3.5T so might have to change the rating. She likes the oven & microwave. I keep telling her that I can add an extra battery and buy a microwave as required.

wow, that's amazing Ben. Love the number plate. The other half is trying to get me to go with the Wildax Elara, can get one for £73k but its a year old. Only 1200 miles on the clock. Pay load is only 3.5T so might have to change the rating. She likes the oven & microwave. I keep telling her that I can add an extra battery and buy a microwave as required.
Ridge monkeys work amazing as ovens, and only handy thing a microwave can do is a sponge pud quick! Wouldn’t let them things sway you, but then again a happy wife is a happy life :thumb

I’ve just had my renogy 2000w inverter delivered with the intention of maybe fitting microwave in lower cupboard next to wardrobe but having played with ridge monkey at weekend I don’t we’ll bother. We barely used oven in our old van unless cooking for 5-6 people but now they can’t fit in van we’ll stick to the pans. Omnia oven is on list to try.

Paddy I went with LV after a recommendation on here £456 with no requirement for a tracker. Thought that was a good price as I didn't have any no claims discount.

Thanks Mark, I had a great quote from them for my Merc & 680 = £675 for the year. As you say, no tracker required. Still see sites quoting £480 for road tax for the VW680. A dealer also quoted this today. Ben only paid £165 for his tax for the year. So great news. Very confusing.

We paid £480 road tax on our 680...how did you obtain the lower rate Bendwg??

The V5 for my GC680 shows that it has been registered as an MPV...hence the luxury tax thingy as it was over 40k. I have sent this back to swansea to have it registered as a motorcaravan...will this change the road fund tax payable or should I have had it altered to a PHG vehicle???
This is all very confusing

The V5 for my GC680 shows that it has been registered as an MPV...hence the luxury tax thingy as it was over 40k. I have sent this back to swansea to have it registered as a motorcaravan...will this change the road fund tax payable or should I have had it altered to a PHG vehicle???
This is all very confusing
Your dealer was at fault should have as you say been registered as a PHGV = £160.
Good luck with the DVLA.

Hmmm...am I alone in facing a strange registration (MPV) for a GC680 rather than either a motorcaravan or PHGV registration? If altered to a "motorcaravan" will this change the fund payable?? I am assuming the last comment suggests that altering registration is not all together straight forwards!

Hmmm...am I alone in facing a strange registration (MPV) for a GC680 rather than either a motorcaravan or PHGV registration? If altered to a "motorcaravan" will this change the fund payable?? I am assuming the last comment suggests that altering registration is not all together straight forwards!
Could you not go back to the dealership as it is there cocked up, when was it registered.
If it does get re-registered you should only have to pay £160 per annum
Who was the dealership.

Hi All.
So last Wednesday I got to pick up my 680. I ordered 28th January so a little over 3 months from order to delivery but it seems I dropped lucky there. I ordered most extras except the sat dish, air con unit and Wi-Fi. The reason been we are usually off grid so air con unit won’t work, don’t really watch tv except on fire stick and I have a mobile hotspot dongle that works perfectly well with 90gb a month free.
So we’ve spent this weekend on a camp field to test it all. And pleased to report all is good on the whole after a couple of minor teething issues. Night 1 it fell to minus 1 outside so at some point that appeared to trip the gas safety (yellow button on regulator) and the hot water. It didn’t drop the water and the heating (diesel) worked flawlessly throughout. I turned the boiler off and on again (takes about 2 mins to cycle down and back up) and that reset the water and 5 mins later we had hot water. The gas I just repressed the yellow toggle and again all well. Night 2 no issues at all.
I certainly recommend diesel heating as the aux heater to pre warm the van is fast and works from a distance. I pressed button at pub (200m + away) not expecting it to work but it was firing fine when we got to van.
Going to buy the Inet add on so can control main heating from phone to.
The fridge is surprisingly good. In fact it froze our stuff at first so we’ve learnt leave on two lights is enough. Freezer works well to.
We have the solar and despite rain and snow battery never dropped below 60%. Once turned fridge down it’s been around 80-100% all the time even when hearings on all day. I do have a second battery and inverter to fit but I’m now wondering whether to bother. I would be fitting both in tbe
Shower works fine, had to buy a shower head holder which I knew about so had that ready.
Table is a little big. I thought it was to big at first but having used it I think a little trim not a major change is what it’ll do. I’ll also use it to sit the travel cot on.
The bed is great, we had a king size topper with corner straps and a super king mattress cover over it and holds it all together well. We will carry a small step to put out on a night as it’s quiet high (1m).
The cab curtains aren’t as bad as feared and we chose to try them out rather than getting the external cover I bought wet. I’ve made the main screen one up and now just roll it up and leave above front seats made up. Takes 30seconds to fit now. Tip drop the sun visors before spinning seats.
I have added shelves in the grey rear storage as the cupboards are massive so to make best use I’ve put mid shelves in to put storage boxes on and under. Works great. Also added hanging rail in wardrobe.
Not sure where to add the TV yet. I think on wall behind rear seats is only real option which is fine just need to devise a bracket
as not wanting to drill into shower wall.
My only criticism is of the base vehicle really. I drove it home on Wednesday 250m mainly motorway and it was great, smooth and responsive. Once I’d worked out you can shorten the distances on the adaptive cruise it’s a lot better. It’s sensitive. It slows you to truck speed from about 100m away at first but you can shorten it to a more practical 15-20m. My criticism is that at slow country Lane speed 1st and 2nd seem a bit pointless. A lot of revs before it moves but I guess it’s probably because it’s so quiet when moving you hear the revs a lot more low down.
The sat nav is only other criticism. As others have said it defaults your position to off the bottom of screen for some reason. You can change 2D/3D views which helps a bit but it is odd.
Overall though really happy with it.

View attachment 78129

View attachment 78130
Hi Ben
I have read your first experiences with the GC. For me very interesting.
Last week we ordered a GC600 (here in Germany) and I enjoy reading GC users' (positive ;))experiences.

Your Sat Nav problem:
In the German vw bus forum someone with a GC described almost the same problem(position of bottom/screen) which you have with your navigation system. The solution for him was the replacement of the control unit and all was fine. :)

Bart

Could you not go back to the dealership as it is there cocked up, when was it registered.
If it does get re-registered you should only have to pay £160 per annum
Who was the dealership.
Beadles in Dartford...suspect they have registered it as they do for the many transporters they sell.
A very costly error!!

follow up....please please ensure your vehicle is correctly registered...a) its much cheaper and b) you will lose any hair you have trying to deal with DVLC. For the record Beadles of Dartford registered my GC680 as Multipurpose vehicle, tax class: diesel car !?!?.
To correct this I need to obtain printed photos of front, rear and sides, interior pictures of bed, table and windows and photos of the VIN. I have to fill a number of forms in, return these together with V5 and god willing after 6 weeks (or more as they are taking industrial action at the mo)it may be corrected. What happens to the 320quid I over paid this year is anyones guess.
Agghh

Beadles in Dartford...suspect they have registered it as they do for the many transporters they sell.
A very costly error!!
A letter of complaint wouldn’t go amiss. Ie your out of pocket and the stress caused.

A very costly error!!
I PURCHASED OUR CALI FROM BEADLES, LOVE OUR CALI, BUT BEADLES SALE SERVICE FOR US WAS TERRIBLE - SERVICE DEPARTMENT WAS GOOD THOUGH

Sorry for late reply we’ve been touring Scotland. Mines PHGV and motor caravan on log book but I had heard of others getting luxury tax and high road fund licence.

Back