Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New and inexperienced campers

S

Stewarty

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We are really excited to be picking up our first VW California Ocean next week. It been great fun looking at all the stuff we need to kit it out, but I have been very restrained . My husband and I live in Dorset with our dog and look forward to some new adventures .

I'd recommend one big trip and just get out and do it. We ended up doing teh NC500 about 6 months in. After that, we were "where does all this stuff go and how do we dance around each other while doing it" pros.

We are really excited to be picking up our first VW California Ocean next week. It been great fun looking at all the stuff we need to kit it out, but I have been very restrained . My husband and I live in Dorset with our dog and look forward to some new adventures .
Congratulations on getting your new van.
Why not schedule a trip and join us at the next club meet in Gloucestershire?
Be a great opportunity to meet owners and discuss tips n tricks etc.
Also see what other people have got I. There Cali’s.

Details here, would be great to see you there:

As already said - do a trip first.

Take the essentials, but as long as you're near an Amazon Drop Box or the site are happy for you to have stuff delivered to them, it's never an issue. Just order bits as/when you find a valid need.

Just one word of caution - be mindful of getting accessories that fulfil the same or similar function. For example - awnings. Get a driveaway awning, or awning room or neither; avoid getting both. You'll end up never using one, and overaccessorising.

Agree with previous we all need to ‘experience’ our Calli before going guns blazing for accessories.
However….. lol
We think essentials are :
A Sparesafe for your spare wheel
A dog in there , waterproof seat covers

The rest is totally subjective and a steep learning curve !

Enjoy the adventure

Welcome! It sounds like you’re approaching campervan touring right, including joining this club! If you’re wanting to research the pros and cons on accessories - use the search function on the forum, and you’ll get lots of useful advice and views.

As already said - do a trip first.

Take the essentials, but as long as you're near an Amazon Drop Box or the site are happy for you to have stuff delivered to them, it's never an issue. Just order bits as/when you find a valid need.
Or if you need something you could do it the old fashioned way.. and go to a shop! :thumb

Try a night in it at home. Working out what you may need and may not need. What fits and what needs to get left behind, and working out if you are going to need an additional mattress topper or not.

The biggest gamechanger for me was a pull out drawer for the boot. Makes life much easier to organise.

The others were rubber mats for the cab and Inka waterproof seat covers. I have a child, but equally useful if you have a dog.

All come up for sale here or FB Marketplace quite often. Join the used accessories group on FB.

We all have different needs when we go away I’m sure, just like any holiday.
On top of the usual essentials, a cheap camping stove made a big difference to us - no more bacon smelling cali or fat spitting everywhere inside.

As mentioned above, a night or two on your driveway might point to some comfort needs too. For us, additional mattresses.

Good point re mattress. Not sure if you have the VW one. I deleted from my order after trialling on a rental and reading feedback on here.

I had a saved search for a Brandrup iXtend on eBay and kept a look out on here.

Back in 2012 when we picked up our 1st van we had a day in the New Forest took what we needed parked up on Stoney Cross airfield and tested bed roof cooker etc.

I'm a millennial - we expect things brought to us without having to move.
Does someone take your Grand California on Holiday for you? Do they take pictures and email them back to you with messages like so glad your not here?
I have a millennial Son, I do all this for him!

The biggest gamechanger for me was a pull out drawer for the boot. Makes life much easier to organise.

The others were rubber mats for the cab and Inka waterproof seat covers. I have a child, but equally useful if you have a dog.

All come up for sale here or FB Marketplace quite often. Join the used accessories group on FB.
IMG_8685.jpegI agree, I bought mine from the Club shop. It saves so much time pulling the whole contents of the boot out to find what you want! Bought some Euro boxes to organise the storage: