Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Beach Arriving Soon

bagel.rhodes

bagel.rhodes

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi All,

After 8 month wait another 2 months an my new Beach should be here. I’m starting to think about security, especially at home where it will be parked on the street. Our area has had a run of car thefts and break ins.

Any must haves, peace of mind and nice to have that will help?

Thanks

Craig

exact same thinking here. We don't have a garage, but private driveway. Thinking about installing a camera on it...

Hi All,

After 8 month wait another 2 months an my new Beach should be here. I’m starting to think about security, especially at home where it will be parked on the street. Our area has had a run of car thefts and break ins.

Thanks

Craig
There are only 2 ways a California can be stolen, with the keys and on a flat loader.
There is nothing to stop someone smashing a window and steeling contents although they'll have to climb in and out of the window due to the Deadlocks or Safelock as VW call them.
It does have a pretty good alarm system .
One easy thing, turn drivers seat around. You'll see what I mean first time you try to swivel it. Impossible without door open.

Hi All,

Thanks

Craig
Congratulations on the impending arrival. You will get various opinions from doing nothing to high tech options. A number of people swear by the Ghost system, we considered that but preferred the Bear Lock system.
We also keep the drivers seat turned, use a steering wheel lock and two wheel clamps. May seem like overkill to some but suits us, we feel we’ve done all we can to try to prevent theft.

There are only 2 ways a California can be stolen, with the keys and on a flat loader.
There is nothing to stop someone smashing a window and steeling contents although they'll have to climb in and out of the window due to the Deadlocks or Safelock as VW call them.
It does have a pretty good alarm system .
One easy thing, turn drivers seat around. You'll see what I mean first time you try to swivel it. Impossible without door open.
I love the idea of turning the seat around. Simple is best sometimes. Thank you.

Ive had security problems with my Beach parked at our home in Cheltenham - break-ins attempted theft and an arson attack - I installed CCTV and a security light and can see 'events' when scroats are sniffing around - i had a Ghost immobiliser installed and use a stoplock pro elite - and fingers crossed the issues have stopped. The Ghost is a slight inconvenience but is effective and the stoplock is a visual deterrent, but as others have said you can only go so far.

be aware of the vulnerable spare wheel / tyre underneath. We lost that within a few months of ownership but replaced with a steel second hand wheel / tyre - no-one seems bothered with that.

Your new van is attractive bit of kit - the more you can keep it out of sight the better

Back