Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali Comfy chairs

Had mine for 4 years and previous owner for 3 years and they have never broken and are as good as the day they were made.

Could be down to user weight though.
Or possibly that the previoius user changed out the parts and put some threadlock on. If it was down to weight our chairs would last a lifetime (-: There are even parts sold for them on this site because they break so often and various other people have made custom parts. Do a search on this site and you will find out how reliable or uncommon breakages are

Or possibly that the previoius user changed out the parts and put some threadlock on. If it was down to weight our chairs would last a lifetime (-: There are even parts sold for them on this site because they break so often and various other people have made custom parts. Do a search on this site and you will find out how reliable or uncommon breakages are

No, actually what the previous owner did was they sent them off to Area 51, where some scientists (you couldn't tell they were scientists as they were classifed as janitors on their employment records) used a new type of alloy to change out the whole chair and the components for Alien tech.

To the casual eye, my chairs look incredibly similiar to the originals so you can't tell they have been upgraded.

I can't really go into any more detail.

All the best.

Will do, although @wildslammer22 has done a very comprehensive review already.
Can’t wait to try them, I am not a great fan of the OEM chairs albeit the quality is good.
Arrived today :)
I would agree with @wildslammer22 that these are comfy in that the material on seat and back is padded.
The back is 6cm higher than the oem chair and the seat is 7cm deeper which are both welcome for somebody 180cm tall. Might still be too short for a taller sitter.
The arms are wooden and lie flat unlike being tilted on the oem so with care a beer could sit temptingly close by.
However unlike the oem there is a support bar under the knees which I personally dislike. Also a bit of cushioning on the top would provide a headrest, however my better half is already knocking one up as I type.
When stowed the spare space is above the chair and extends marginally deeper into the door with a slight loss of height.
Overall I think this is an improvement but is not the final solution. Good value though.
Hope this helps anybody thinking of buying.
:)

I would agree with @wildslammer22 that these are comfy in that the material on seat and back is padded.
The back is 6cm higher than the oem chair and the seat is 7cm deeper which are both welcome for somebody 180cm tall. Might still be too short for a taller sitter.
The arms are wooden and lie flat unlike being tilted on the oem so with care a beer could sit temptingly close by.
However unlike the oem there is a support bar under the knees which I personally dislike. Also a bit of cushioning on the top would provide a headrest, however my better half is already knocking one up as I type.
When stowed the spare space is above the chair and extends marginally deeper into the door with a slight loss of height.
Overall I think this is an improvement but is not the final solution. Good value though.

It’ll be interesting to see how VW has (or hasn’t) improved the chairs in the new version of the upcoming 'T7'. They seem to want to soak up a big chunk of the Cali accessory market having already plagiarised the van Essen window storage bags and the Project Camper windscreen blind. I suspect the new chairs will be very similar to these!

I have a couple of Front Runner folding chairs which also fit in the tailgate. They are very rugged, have storage for a beer and phone/book but are much heavier and barely more comfortable than the OEM version.

For now these Outdoor Revolution ones are the best ‘Goldilocks' option that I’ve come across.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Can you still use the plastic clip to hold them in place in the tailgate?

Is the spare space above the chair big enough to slide an EHU cable in, please?

Currently enjoying ours in Switzerland. Still experimenting with how best to use the cavity, but I think we've managed the comfortz screen cover and a few other things.

Ordered. I have fed some velcro cable ties around where the plastic clips attach to the tailgate chair bag. So will be able to secure the chairs .

Good idea. Mine don’t move though and I’ve lost the foam divider piece too, which always used to fall out anyway!

My only niggle so far after using them a few times is the clips that lock the chairs can quite easily get caught in the frame. No problem so far but I can see them being a failure point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea. Mine don’t move though and I’ve lost the foam divider piece too, which always used to fall out anyway!

My only niggle so far after using them a few times is the clips that lock the chairs can quite easily get caught in the frame. No problem so far but I can see them being a failure point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of mine has done so and bent beyond being useable, on first use. Not a deal breaker though, I’m 6ft 5in and they are way more comfortable.

No, around the cylindrical plastic hinge for the bag lid for now. I’ll have another look to see if any alternatives. They do benefit from being retained otherwise they fall down in the bag which then feels like it rubs against something as you close the boot.

"I am not a great fan of the OEM chairs albeit the quality is good." They are actually terrible - look the part - but within a few months of usage fall to pieces - broken brackets, bolts dropping out etc.
I can't relate to that.
My 2 chairs are over 14 years old now. One seat has had a torn stitch, but that could be stitched back together.
And sometimes, when I feel a little play in the moving parts, I just grab an allen wrench, and screw it back tight.
Nothing else is broken or fallen apart.

No, around the cylindrical plastic hinge for the bag lid for now. I’ll have another look to see if any alternatives. They do benefit from being retained otherwise they fall down in the bag which then feels like it rubs against something as you close the boot.
Feed in a strip of velcro, to create a cable tie , around the plastic hook. Works a treat . Feed in the velcro strip vertically down behind the gap where the plastic hook is attached. Then from the other side use some thin pliers to pinch,grab, pull through the velcro strip from the gap on the other side underneath the plastic hook.

Feed in a strip of velcro, to create a cable tie , around the plastic hook. Works a treat . Feed in the velcro strip vertically down behind the gap where the plastic hook is attached. Then from the other side use some thin pliers to pinch,grab, pull through the velcro strip from the gap on the other side underneath the plastic hook.

20240810_070035.jpg

Doesn’t the zipped chair pocket on the tailgate hold them in?

They fit quite snugly and don’t fall out in my experience. I think the concern is that without being clipped they may foul on the bottom of the tailgate bag when closed. Probably not necessary but belt and braces. I did the Velcro straps as suggested by @CaliforniaSeb

Whilst that’s 15 mins of my life I won’t get back it’s very effective!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back