Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali review in the Telegraph

Interesting the photo is a pre facelift. I do wonder how often they recycle these articles. There is one about the woes of Disneyland Paris that seems to come out each year with a small bit brought up to date.

Looks like a current model to me, with a private registration that reads 'VW SLEEP'. Same colour as my 'Big Blue Bus'
I averaged over 36 mpg on my recent Costa Blanca adventure,---- but the bus was only 2 days old when I set off, so was still running in.

Looks like the front window is missing on the roof as well a dead giveaway :rofl :rofl

Picked mine up Friday. Got to Glasgow and it's certainly all up hill I have just managed to breakthrough 25 average :shocked

Just got back from a trip of 3300miles to Spain/South West France and seem to of averaged 34/35mpg, mostly hovered around the 65/75mph mark, only me in the van, but fairly loaded up, always take far too much gear! this is almost identical to the Landrover FreelanderTD I have recently sold, so not too bad considering the weight issues, be interesting to know who gets a regular 40mpg and how it's achieved.

Kevin

Just got back from a trip of 3300miles to Spain/South West France and seem to of averaged 34/35mpg, mostly hovered around the 65/75mph

Same here 35 mpg on 3500 miles France Spain & Portugal last March.

Calikev said:
Looks like the front window is missing on the roof as well a dead giveaway :rofl :rofl

Interestingly, the Beach still uses this "old" style roof.

My fairly fully loaded Bluemotion Beach averaged 33MPG on my recent 600+ mile trip to the lakes & North of England. Mostly cruising at an indicated 77MPH on the motorway, which comes up as 74MPH on the sat nav. Think this is what kills the MPG, as well as the hills. I normally get 43-48MPG on my trip to work (55-65 MPH).

Chris

syrup1971 said:
Calikev said:

Interestingly, the Beach still uses this "old" style roof.

My fairly fully loaded Bluemotion Beach averaged 33MPG on my recent 600+ mile trip to the lakes & North of England. Mostly cruising at an indicated 77MPH on the motorway, which comes up as 74MPH on the sat nav. Think this is what kills the MPG, as well as the hills. I normally get 43-48MPG on my trip to work (55-65 MPH).

Chris

I believe the front window on the roof is an part of an option package in LHD markets - VW UK fit it to the full Cali - not the Beach. I think and I could be wrong it is the difference between a manual and electric roof.

From VW.de

Additional window in front, in the bellows of the aluminum pop-up roof (electrical be set up), painted in body color
€ 71.40 View details
Roof rails / roof rack

I am never sure if people are quoting average consumption on the consumption worked out as you drive.

On average - between 50 and 65 I can manage abut 40 - 42 - I have a picture on here where on a long run at 65 it nudged 46/47.

I've tried driving to the gear change indicator but that seems to get caught out sometimes due to the revs.

James

I am never sure if people are quoting average consumption on the consumption worked out as you drive.

Actually my figure I quoted in my last post was worked out on brim to brim fills manually over 3500 miles.

Andy said:

Actually my figure I quoted in my last post was worked out on brim to brim fills manually over 3500 miles.

That's probably going to be the most accurate.

James

Really think you have to accept its never going to be high MPG...on my extensive trip away in Europe, Asia, Africa...I did about 40000 miles and averaged about 30 MPG...just.........

This weekend picking up a Fiat 500 twin air as an office run about....should get about 50MPG round town in it.....and you get five of them for the price I paid for my loaded 180DSG......

BerndRos said:
Really think you have to accept its never going to be high MPG...on my extensive trip away in Europe, Asia, Africa...I did about 40000 miles and averaged about 30 MPG...just.........

This weekend picking up a Fiat 500 twin air as an office run about....should get about 50MPG round town in it.....and you get five of them for the price I paid for my loaded 180DSG......

lol

You have a point...

James

I have a VW Up! Bluemotion. Average is about 45 in London over 3,000 miles. If I go from Tower Bridge to the end of town it's 45. From beginning of A4 to beginning of M4 it goes up to about 55-60 and fom the M4 J1 to J4 it goes up to around 72 at 55-60 mph.

That's the day to day and now the Cali for other travelling :grin: as long as it is close to the Phaeton that's good enough for me which was about 32-34.

VW SLEEP is the reg plate used by VW UK for their Olmypian Blue press loan California used for publicity photoshoot purposes (they have a a couple of Calis and change them every year)...
we have now done nearly 4000 miles from new and mpg average is 36.7 ... actually improving slowly despite being driven hard on french motorways...

Nice I hope I can manage 36 will be. Happy bunny.

I just got a plate for mine ...

CA11VWW

Now to just tweak the plate a little for readability :)

just back from 700 mile roundf trip to vintgage VW show in Belgium....mostly cruising on motorways at 70 / 75 though sometimes more (should I say that?) ...now my average mpg over 4600 miles from new is 38.7!
Am well pleased with that!!!!!! especially talking to the Split bus guys who had driven from UK to the show..taking up to 2+ hours longer and usually getting 25mpg!!!!
Everyone kept asking all weekend do we miss our Split
not for a moment!!!!

Hills definitely kill MPG in something so heavy.

350 miles from delivery miles home I got mid 30s.
Since then in Cornwall, I've struggled to get 30. On a regular trip to the beach, I'll often see very low 20s.

JockMacMad said:
1,000 miles in 29.5 is my average so far ...

About the same as mine ... I'm assured it will get better jock .. More miles more mpg :)

Anybody got experience using a Thule style roofbox on their Cali?

I've just picked my van up and my first trip will be to France with a roofbox. I expect it will rob some MPG but I wonder how much?

Don't ask why I'm using a roofbox when I've got a 3t van (Cali) - it's because the kids are so pleased with the amount of space in the back (7 seater beach) that I can't bring myself to surround them with baggage!

Back