Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali - wong tyres :-(

Following this thread with great interest as we took delivery of an Indium Grey 4 Motion 2 weeks ago with the all weather tyre option ticked. Checking the van over I spotted the same problem is the OP, 215 60 17s Bridgestone Duravis fitted. We have Aracju wheels. The spare has the same tyre on a steel wheel. Chased the dealer on Saturday but they didn’t get back to me, will be on to them again on Monday. I will be insisting on the 235 All weathers, although at the moment I am wearing out their tyres so not been rushing to change them as all weathers not needed at the moment.

Sounds like a common problem then - VW are going to have to come up with a solution for us all. Really really poor that VW haven't told the dealers (or us) that there has been this issue.

I wonder if they just didn't have the tyres and decided to ship anyway?

I had always assumed the all weather tyres were fitted by dealer pre-collection based on the brochure stating ‘All-weather tyres. Contact your local Van Centre for availability.’ Implies the van centre has at least some responsibility.
Anyway good luck with getting the right tyres fitted vice a refund of the additional cost; I think that’s the most you could reasonably expect, talk of new alloys seems way OTT to me.

Latest from the dealer today was the fault is a model change problem (?) and they would refund the extra cash. When I said that was not acceptable he came back later with the dealer will try changing them as a warranty claim. To be confirmed...

I have been told that the 204 4motion can no longer have this option (and the configurator is wrong and out of date) - because to get through the latest RDE2 WLTP test they needed to use normal tyres on that particular Cali variant.

This is from an email (I have seen) from VW UK to my dealer, so I have no push back against it really apart from to not take delivery of our new van. Obviously our dealer would let us walk away, as they would make even more money on it by selling it at current list price rather than that of nearly 12 months ago, plus they would sell it 10x over.

We're taking our van with the 215 tyres on and taking the refund. One of those things.

Can always get some fitted at a later date if we want.

I have been told that the 204 4motion can no longer have this option (and the configurator is wrong and out of date) - because to get through the latest RDE2 WLTP test they needed to use normal tyres on that particular Cali variant.

This is from an email (I have seen) from VW UK to my dealer, so I have no push back against it really apart from to not take delivery of our new van. Obviously our dealer would let us walk away, as they would make even more money on it by selling it at current list price rather than that of nearly 12 months ago, plus they would sell it 10x over.

We're taking our van with the 215 tyres on and taking the refund. One of those things.

Can always get some fitted at a later date if we want.
Yet they are quite happy to deliver that particular variant with much wider 255 tyres, without any issues with the RDE2 testing; with no doubt a greater impact than the 235 all weather tyres. Typical VW fob off.
Certainly not worth pushing though, small fry and an easy fix.

Since collecting my Ocean last Thursday and making the dealer aware of the tyre issue, I've still heard nothing back from them despite two emails.

I can't claim any legal knowledge, but surely this is basic consumer rights stuff - I had a contract with them (vehicle spec accepted by the factory as a valid order) and what they've delivered isn't as described.

Just phoned VW customer care but they say they can't get involved if the dealer is still investigating so to wait for the dealer to respond. Very frustrating!

Since collecting my Ocean last Thursday and making the dealer aware of the tyre issue, I've still heard nothing back from them despite two emails.

I can't claim any legal knowledge, but surely this is basic consumer rights stuff - I had a contract with them (vehicle spec accepted by the factory as a valid order) and what they've delivered isn't as described.

Just phoned VW customer care but they say they can't get involved if the dealer is still investigating so to wait for the dealer to respond. Very frustrating!

It is as you say basic contract stuff, but there isn't a lot to argue, they cant supply what you ordered, I am sure there is a clause in the small print that covers it, so are offering the closest they can get to it, with a refund of the extra you paid.

You have a choice, take it or accept a refund & buy a van elsewhere.
The dealer is as stuffed as you are!
You might get a bit of goodwill from VW Customer Services if you are reasonable with them, and will get the extra charged for the all-weather tyres back.

They can supply what was ordered they chose not to & specifically chose not to tell the buyer (or dealer? ) , implying VW or the dealer we’re going to say nothing and pocket the difference if It wasn’t spotted ?

The Email that was seen is a covering position from VW, probably because they have shipped loads of ordered incorrectly (knowingly).

VW have failed to honour their side of the contract. The fact the vehicle could be sold ten times over is all the more reason for VW to correct their mistake and provide the customer with the correct specification with new parts.

Edit: I know this from experience, I had a mis build from the factory, the paperwork showed a specification that was not provided on my van, noticed after collection.
VW didnt want to correct it and did resist, telling the dealer it was categorically not possible to correct,
I found a OEM solution and used U.K. consumer law to have VW correct It at their cost.

yes VW will resist but they cannot buck UK consumer law and if the consumer just rolls over, as many suggest here, VW get away with it every time.

Last edited:
Edit: I know this from experience, I had a mis build from the factory, the paperwork showed a specification that was not provided on my van, noticed after collection.
VW didnt want to correct it and did resist, telling the dealer it was categorically not possible to correct,
I found a OEM solution and used U.K. consumer law to have VW correct It at their cost.

Unless recently, your mis build would not have been subject to:

"get through the latest RDE2 WLTP test they needed to use normal tyres on that particular Cali variant"

If that option has now been removed from the configurator it may well be that VW are telling the truth.

Thought that I'd have a look at VW T6.1 Transporter Configurator.

No T30 204 DSG 4M available, T30 204 DSG yes.

Only the T32 204 DSG 4M is available which would be a better base for the Cali 4M given the extra weight capability.

If anyone thinks that the Cali Configurator is baffling try the Transporter one. Phew - tick one option and a seemingly endless list of other must have options pops up.

I managed to get a £51,180 cost without too many options

Unless recently, your mis build would not have been subject to:

"get through the latest RDE2 WLTP test they needed to use normal tyres on that particular Cali variant"

If that option has now been removed from the configurator it may well be that VW are telling the truth.
Just not being upfront with the paying customer!

a letter to all affected customers or email from the dealer would not be beyond the realms, as far as I can see it’s the customer raising this issue for an item that they paid for but have not been supplied knowingly ?

So after much delay the warranty claim came to nothing and they have refunded the extra costs. The additional not fitted item being the 80 litre fuel tank.

So after much delay the warranty claim came to nothing and they have refunded the extra costs. The additional not fitted item being the 80 litre fuel tank.
Was the warranty claim for the tyres? Once I'd managed to get someone in VW Customer Services on my case who knew what they were doing (first one was useless) it was handled as a 'factory warranty' claim and the dealer swapped my tyres to the Michelin Crossclimates'. The VW Customer Services guy said it's quite common for vehicles to be shipped from the factory with wrong/missing items which the dealer has to fix and there's a standard factory warranty process for this - i.e. the factory picks up the bill.

Yes the warranty claim was for the tyres. I went through the dealer. I'll try customer services...

It would seem that VW know that they cannot supply what was ordered and paid for by the customer. It would have been good if VW told customers prior to delivering the vehicles. They maybe a number of owners that might have paid for this option and did not check to see if it was supplied. It seems VW have pocketed to cost of the option.

Back