Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New California Beach Owner.

Jimbo1979

Jimbo1979

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi Guys,

We've been talking about buying a California for a couple of years now and we've finally plucked up the courage. The kids are very excited about it, Im just trying to learn as much as possible re: how to change the extra seats out etc.

Our Cali has parking sensors front and back but also has a sensor in the middle of the front bumper. It has cruise control but I don't think its Adaptive cruise control as this button is not marked on the steering wheel so I'm a bit confused to what the purpose of this front sensor is for?? Can anyone please shed any light on this for me?

Look forward to learning as much as poss from this forum (it has already helped influence our purchase) and everyone seems great.

Cheers,

J

IMG_6634.jpg

Have you got the multi function steering wheel? If not the cruise controls, if you have it, will probably be located on the left hand control stalk. I'm not totally sure as I haven't had a Cali with that set up but I have had other VAG group vehicles with cruise that operated in that fashion

Hi Borris,

Please see pic attached - it has cruise control but not sure on the adaptive element as it usually has a car printed on the black button inside the silver bit.

14AE5667-3B1D-45DF-AB5F-EA073B79F4CB.jpeg

The sensor is for automatic emergency braking

Thanks for the info / help guys.

If you drive it down the road and press the SET button, if you have adaptive cruise a pictogram of a sectioned road way will appear on the Multi Function Display screen on your dash board. Also you will get a green speedo dial symbol to say that cruise is activated. Looking at the pictogram you will be able to adjust the radar controlled distance between you and the car in front using the rocker switch on the left hand of the multi function steering wheel. I think thant's right. I haven't driven our van for weeks !

Once activated the adaptive cruise, if you have it, will automatically bring the car to a stop within the distance set if the radar element detects an obstruction. Once cleared it will automatically accelerate up to the preset speed without your input so stay awake. It takes a bit of getting used to and TBH I still don't trust it. Put it this way, I wouldn't drive it towards a brick wall just to test it.

I think I'd have a panic when it started to speed up again!! From what you have described I'm pretty sure it hasn't the adaptive element but I'm not sure i'd be up for using it anyway.

:welcome To the Beach Club Jimbo

What do you need to know about removing/ fitting the additional seats ? It very straight forward

The cruise you have looks to be normal Cruise, the + / - buttons (silver) increase / decrease the speed by 5 mph when pressed and released, however you can get the speed to change in 1mph increments.

A longer press of the + or - button (approx 3 seconds) will give a lesser increase / decrease than the short press ( 5mph) it’s counter intuitive and takes a bit of practice but it works.

The radar sensor behind the lower front grille has two or more functions, as mentioned above it is the city braking assistance, but it also senses the car in front when you are on normal CC, if you get within a pre determined distance of the car infront it will show up on the Dash display with chevrons, indicating you are too close to the car infront, the signal also proves the brake system you if you have to break the reaction time between pressing the break peadal and the brakes being applied is reduced and the pressure is increased, meaning a more harsh breaking experience.
In some instances the computer will actually apply the brakes ( hard) for a minute amount of time, but it’s enough to get your severe attention! ( don’t try this at home)

I posted some info on anothe4 thread some time ago about the function, I’m sure a search on here or google will turn up some tech info.

Feel free to ask any. Questions you can’t find the answers to, on the forum, I’m sure you’ll receive an answer promptly from the collective

Enjoy Beach Life

Mine will some times activate if a car in front decides to break and turn, the system beeps to let you know of the possible danger, and primes the breaking system, I have had it apply the breaks in this situation before
, which is alarming the first time it happens, but one you know it can happen it’s normal

Here’s the image that comes on on the dash if you get to close to the car infront, you get an audible warning also

BD12A756-69EC-4E6B-B12A-236455719017.jpeg

Thanks for the info everyone. Pretty sure I’ve got normal cruise control with front assist.

Back