Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New California - missing key

C

CaliforniaCylus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
We just picked up our new California. Just about all fantastic except the dealer could only find one Key fob.

He said that it didn't arrive with the vehicle and has ordered a new one.

My concern is someone has by accident or design got a key which has already been coded to the vehicle. Would only take one rotten apple at the dealership or maybe even the wider supply chain to have easy pickings here.

Should I be worried?

Could the dealer take a fob from one of their show vehicles and recode it to mine im the interim? I'm sure re-adding the second key would resolve...

I am sure that in the same way that you pair a new key with the van you can delete lost or stolen keys.

We just picked up our new California. Just about all fantastic except the dealer could only find one Key fob.

He said that it didn't arrive with the vehicle and has ordered a new one.

My concern is someone has by accident or design got a key which has already been coded to the vehicle. Would only take one rotten apple at the dealership or maybe even the wider supply chain to have easy pickings here.

Should I be worried?

Could the dealer take a fob from one of their show vehicles and recode it to mine im the interim? I'm sure re-adding the second key would resolve...
The likelihood of a factory not shipping 2 keys is nil. More possible it has got lost during transport or sat on a dealers desk somewhere - likely the latter. As @andyinluton says, make sure any new keys are recoded to the van, including your existing so any old ones don't work. The possibility of a rogue dealer agent is very low, it's very likely just sat somewhere.

Back