Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New California Ocean 204PS 4Motion Owner from Geordie-land

TW88

TW88

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hello everyone. Did our first trip in our brand new California Ocean 204PS 4Motion at the weekend. Woke up to a beautiful morning overlooking the beach at Bamburgh castle. We'd been looking for one of these for a while and got lucky by finding one at the Liverpool VW Van Centre of California Chris fame. Vehicle is perfect, all I need to do now is understand all the advice on here about how to get a spare tyre since the van came with 18" wheels.

PXL_20231112_072359950.jpg

PXL_20231112_080144814.jpg

Fellow Northerner (Durham) stuck south here. Same wheels on ours.

For the wheel - I bought a 17" one from the Ebay (235/55/17), new, was about 150 quid delivered, outer circumference is the same.

I then bought the hanger, also Ebay, also new, was about 70 quid. Then just fitted myself, making sure to get the sparesafe lock to secure on. Easy beer.

Hello everyone. Did our first trip in our brand new California Ocean 204PS 4Motion at the weekend. Woke up to a beautiful morning overlooking the beach at Bamburgh castle. We'd been looking for one of these for a while and got lucky by finding one at the Liverpool VW Van Centre of California Chris fame. Vehicle is perfect, all I need to do now is understand all the advice on here about how to get a spare tyre since the van came with 18" wheels.

View attachment 116359

View attachment 116360
Lovely van, congrats!

Fellow Northerner (Durham) stuck south here. Same wheels on ours.

For the wheel - I bought a 17" one from the Ebay (235/55/17), new, was about 150 quid delivered, outer circumference is the same.

I then bought the hanger, also Ebay, also new, was about 70 quid. Then just fitted myself, making sure to get the sparesafe lock to secure on. Easy beer.
Would you say purely because you have fitted a carrier and spare wheel before that you could just as easy bought the same wheel and tyre thats on the van already and it could fit the carrier as its the same circumference as the 18 incher. I was thinking to to do the same myself.

Would you say purely because you have fitted a carrier and spare wheel before that you could just as easy bought the same wheel and tyre thats on the van already and it could fit the carrier as its the same circumference as the 18 incher. I was thinking to to do the same myself.
From my recollection the advice given before is the 18 is too deep for the carrier. TBH a Palmerston plus tyre would be a lot more than the 150 paid for the spare. An alloy hanging on the underside for most of its life also gets short shrift from road cack and salt.

Last edited:
Back