Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Coast anyone?

BeagleMum

BeagleMum

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Saw a new Coast in Mojave Beige today that had just been delivered to VW Llandudno. Looked very smart, anyone waiting on it?

Decent review from someone new to the vehicle. It’s such a shame that you can’t get a 4Motion in the U.K. on anything other than the Ocean.

Decent review from someone new to the vehicle. It’s such a shame that you can’t get a 4Motion in the U.K. on anything other than the Ocean.
It’s strange how particular combinations aren’t offered in certain territories. That said I’ve never seen the need for 4M, which permanently damages fuel economy and payload, but is very rarely needed. You can do so much with 2WD and the right tyres

You can. Get a 4 motion van and convert it into what you want. But I don't see the need for 4 motion for the vast majority of users. There will be only a very few that use a 4 motion in earnest.

It’s strange how particular combinations aren’t offered in certain territories. That said I’ve never seen the need for 4M, which permanently damages fuel economy and payload, but is very rarely needed. You can do so much with 2WD and the right tyres
It is strange, especially as they are all made in the same factory. If it had been possible to buy a 4Motion Beach, that would have been my preference, as I like the flexibility it offers.

Thank you for the link to a video of 35 minutes of listening to someone eating. I somehow missed the conversation about 2WD 4WD. He is handy with a skillet though.

I was living in Norway when I bought my campervan and like to drive to remote places in all weather to splitboard and mountain bike.
While the argument can always be made for getting out of trouble with a 2WD, good tyres for the conditions and experienced driving. I opted for 4Motion and studded tyres plus snow chains, maybe because I lack the enough of the latter. I got into and out of places that would have been hit or miss with 4Motion without a diff-lock and impossible with a 2WD. There are compromises with everything in a vehicle we ask so much of and everyone has to weigh up the options that work best for them. I’m very happy to hear you’re happy with your choices and only a little envious of your MPG, which I suspect is superior to mine. Happy travels!

You can. Get a 4 motion van and convert it into what you want. But I don't see the need for 4 motion for the vast majority of users. There will be only a very few that use a 4 motion in earnest.
That will be the path I’d go down if I get another Transporter.

Yes there is, exploding diffs, less payload , additional service costs and increased fuel consumption, anything I’ve missed?
There’s less space underneath for underslung tanks etc due to the rear prop-shaft. There might be increased tyre wear? There’s also endless opportunity to wind up all those with sub-optimal 2WD vans.

Sorry @BeagleMum I didn’t intend to turn this thread into another FWD vs 4Motion debate.

True, I had to go to the Netherlands to get a 199/204 4Mo Coast with DSG

Yes there is, exploding diffs, less payload , additional service costs and increased fuel consumption, anything I’ve missed?
You forgot less wheel spin from standstill when rocking the 204 engine. Exploding diffs? Thats a new one on me. Given there's over a decade of design and development the VW 4 Mo system is pretty bulletproof if maintained properly (like anything else thats engineered).

It is strange, especially as they are all made in the same factory. If it had been possible to buy a 4Motion Beach, that would have been my preference, as I like the flexibility it offers.

Thank you for the link to a video of 35 minutes of listening to someone eating. I somehow missed the conversation about 2WD 4WD. He is handy with a skillet though.

I was living in Norway when I bought my campervan and like to drive to remote places in all weather to splitboard and mountain bike.
While the argument can always be made for getting out of trouble with a 2WD, good tyres for the conditions and experienced driving. I opted for 4Motion and studded tyres plus snow chains, maybe because I lack the enough of the latter. I got into and out of places that would have been hit or miss with 4Motion without a diff-lock and impossible with a 2WD. There are compromises with everything in a vehicle we ask so much of and everyone has to weigh up the options that work best for them. I’m very happy to hear you’re happy with your choices and only a little envious of your MPG, which I suspect is superior to mine. Happy travels!
Here’s a better one, nice bit of tyre deflation. Loads more if you’re interested in seeing what a 2WD can do

Here’s a better one, nice bit of tyre deflation. Loads more if you’re interested in seeing what a 2WD can do
They don't have to make videos of what the 4Motion can do. It just does it.

You love this debate.

If I was getting a cali again i would love a 4motion beach.
It maybe possible to order one in Ireland, as I think they sell them.
I'm interested in the psychology of the choice really. I do understand the 4motion choice if you're towing. And I understand people who just want 'the best', have no concern for cost or efficiency and just tick every box.
Each to their own, I've driven them both (and Land Rovers in anger), and there's a lot I'd spend my money on before 4Motion on a van - ARBs, DCC, Pro Media, Sports Pack, Driver Assistance Pack, wood floor, shower - I could have them ALL (because I'd have to have the 204 as well) - AND go 3 miles further for every single gallon, with associated lower emissions.

Back