Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New member & Cali market question

D

Duncs04

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi All,

Firstly, I hope everyone is safe and well.

This is my first post on here, however I have been visiting the forum for a long time and reading through the many great and informative threads as cars and camping has always been a big part of mine and my families life - I grew up with Type 2’s back in the day and in the family today we have a T6 Conversion and a 2018 MB Marco Polo (both controversial on here, I know ;)) as well as a Hymer Grand Canyon S arriving in the coming months.

At the moment I am considering an MP or a Cali however im trying to get my head around the used market of the Cali (it seems pretty chaotic), could someone enlighten me as to the OTR list price of the previous T6 Ocean (2019) in 150 and 199 DSG formats? And would I be right in assuming that the 199 version is the most desirable?

Given the high used asking prices, at the moment the T6.1 seems to be a more attractive proposition - do you feel the same?

I appreciate your help.
Duncs04

Hi All,

This is my first post on here, however I have been visiting the forum for a long time and reading through the many great and informative threads as cars and camping has always been a big part of mine and my families life - I grew up with Type 2’s back in the day and in the family today we have a T6 Conversion and a 2018 MB Marco Polo (both controversial on here, I know ;)) as well as a Hymer Grand Canyon S arriving in the coming months.

At the moment I am considering an MP or a Cali however im trying to get my head around the used market of the Cali (it seems pretty chaotic), could someone enlighten me as to the OTR list price of the previous T6 Ocean (2019) in 150 and 199 DSG formats? And would I be right in assuming that the 199 version is the most desirable?

Given the high used asking prices, at the moment the T6.1 seems to be a more attractive proposition - do you feel the same?

I appreciate your help.
Duncs04
Hi Duncs94 and welcome :welcome , I have a 150 Ocean and drove both a 199 & 150 and found very little difference as for the gearbox it's personnel choice. I like the manual because I'm driving and like to drive if that makes sence.

Re pricing the second hand market appears to be strong at the moment so much so I am tempted to sell our 69 plate but Mrs K will kill me. I am reading on here there are long delays with the 6.1 orders and you would probably be spending well north of 60k unless you went for a Coast.

Hi All,

I appreciate your help.
Duncs04

I’d say it all depends when you want it for. If you really need it for this summer you’ll likely pay a premium, if you can wait till this winter I imagine you’ll get a strong discount on a new 6.1 or maybe a better priced T6.

Hi Duncs94 and welcome :welcome , I have a 150 Ocean and drove both a 199 & 150 and found very little difference as for the gearbox it's personnel choice. I like the manual because I'm driving and like to drive if that makes sence.

Re pricing the second hand market appears to be strong at the moment so much so I am tempted to sell our 69 plate but Mrs K will kill me. I am reading on here there are long delays with the 6.1 orders and you would probably be spending well north of 60k unless you went for a Coast.

Thanks for that Karlos, did you feel a significant difference in power power between the two?

I’d say it all depends when you want it for. If you really need it for this summer you’ll likely pay a premium, if you can wait till this winter I imagine you’ll get a strong discount on a new 6.1 or maybe a better priced T6.

We are not in a rush, many of the campsites we have seen are already booked up for the summer months (there is obviously pent up demand for a staycation at the moment).
Maybe i write off 2020 and have something to look forward to in 2021!

Hello Duncs04.
Welcome.

If you really want to know the prices of those models then the best answer I can offer is a screenshot of the MY18 price list (dated 23 April 2018) from the "Resources" section of this forum.
20200619_082039.jpg
I couldn't find a more up to date version.

As you have found out the second hand values asked for Californias don't follow the usual vehicle norms. Firstly there are the seasonal fluctuations, then there's the almost iconic status of the VW camper van to keep prices buoyant (something you may want to think about when considering the MP) and finally there's currently the Covid 19 element. People can't go abroad on there hols, they don't want to/can't cruise or spend time in hotels so they are turning to something more local and self contained. Consequently, it's a sellers market at present. Campervan and Motorhome sales staff should have good bonus prospects if they can get the stock. And thereby lies another compounding factor. With the production lines having been shut down for months the supply of vehicles will be slow to build up to previous levels. So second hand prices are high, new stock vehicles are difficult to find and if you order a new one now, it may arrive just in time for the launch of the T7.

As for desirability, that depends on your viewpoint. I don't think it's that relevant though as all Californias are popular, very popular.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Hello Duncs04.
Welcome.

If you really want to know the prices of those models then the best answer I can offer is a screenshot of the MY18 price list (dated 23 April 2018) from the "Resources" section of this forum.
View attachment 61137
I coundn't find a more up to date version.

As you have found out the second hand values asked for Californias don't follow normal vehicle norms. Firstly there's the seasonal element, then there's the almost iconic status of the VW camper van to keep prices buoyant (something you may want to think about when considering the MP) and finally there's currently the Covid 19 element. People can't go abroad on there hols, they don't want to/can't cruise or spend time in hotels so they are turning to something more local and self contained. Consequently, it's a sellers market at present. Campervan and Motorhome sales staff should have good bonus prospects if they can get the stock. And thereby lies another compounding factor. With the production lines having been shut down for months the supply of vehicles will be slow to build up to previous levels. So second hand prices are high, new stock vehicles are difficult to find and if you order a new one now, it will may arrive just in time for the launch of the T7.

As for desirability, that depends on your viewpoint. I don't think it's that relevant though as all Californias are popular, very popular.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for this Borris.

Loads of threads on differences between engine sizes, a search on google or here will have loads of info.

If it’s a T6 then it’s either 150bhp vs 204bhp I believe.

I have an older 140bhp and it’s plenty fast enough for me

Thanks for that Karlos, did you feel a significant difference in power power between the two?
Not Realy no, that's why I went for the 150. Our previous T6 conversion was a 102 which we had several trips tp Europe in and that was Ok so the step up to the 150 was great.