Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Things to Look Out For if Buying a 2006 Cali?

TravellinJones

TravellinJones

VIP Member
Hello folks - another newbie here - been soaking up info from this site for a couple of months now whilst scouring the s/h market for the Cali to suit us (me, my better half and our 1yr old).

I'm very interested in a Cali that has come up that ticks two important boxes; (1) it's a 4motion (we're in North East of Scotland) and (2) - I can afford it!

So far so good. However, it's a 2006 model which is a fair bit older than I planned on - albeit low mileage. I think I've picked up on a a few key points to be aware of (earth shunt, roof corrosion), but I just wondered if there are any other items to be aware of? I'm not thinking so much of 'general common sense when buying a s/h car' type stuff - more issues specifically related to earlier generation Cali's/T5s?

Thanks!

***EDIT*** I don't suppose anybody on here has a digital copy of the 2006 Cali brochure? I can't see one as old as that on the downloads section and it would be interesting to see what was standard spec, etc, back then. I'll just try not to look at the prices!

Hi there and welcome
You have pretty much covered it really I'm no expert on 4 motion but I suppose that needs checking to make sure it is all ok. Also service records.check the leisure batteries they may be getting tired so factor that in.Also check all blinds work and stay down and the roof opens and closes ok With no damage to the canvas. Also check heating, fridge and control panel work ok.
As you have children make sure the upper bed safety net is there you will need it later on :thumb
Good luck and keep us posted.

Worth having a read of the T4Forum, this would give you more of an insight into the non-camping aspects to check out.

On the 2006 174 they had a few warranty issues with drive shafts and juddering Dual Mass Flywheels I think. There was also a known problem whereby low revs, high gear would cause an occasional shudder, can't remember the cause of it felt dramatic but was nothing to worry about.

Buying older makes a lot of sense, the 2.5 engine is oddly more economical than the new engine, I used to get 40mpg+ from my 174 and that was fully loaded. Depending on mileage/condition a 2006 should be priced between £26k-30k.

2.5 is a lovely engine but can eat cam shafts if unloved. Also issues with injectors and N75 valve. On higher mileage the turbo can be iffy, again due to maintenance. Gates coupling rather than cambelt but still need changing.

Driveshafts are a known issue as is the steering column.

Earth shunt as mentioned.

Yes the gates coupling lightened my pocket massively, I had mine prematurely fail before the service interval, my wallet was £2500 lighter after that. Unlikely to be an issue on a Cali as I've yet to see a T5 Cali that's hit 100k. I checked with VW and the gates coupling is mileage based and not age dependent like a cam belt.

I hear the Auto Tiptronic boxes self destruct at circa 100-150k, but I believe the necessary repairs are getting cheaper.

A 2006 also doesn't have the Diesel Particulate Filter, DPF, which is great for you as they cause nothing but problems.

If I've done it right, I've loaded up 2007 and 2008 5 cylinder brochures here. Must say they look very similar! I can't find a 2006 brochure:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a6jplcrkr02osi0/noFvtCsFqh

Let me know if it doesn't work.

Work doing a few checks on the camping bits - e.g. that the cooker burners light and that the water pumps from the tap OK. Also that the heater remote is with the keys and works. Also look at the handover checklist in the forum download section to get a list of the things that should have come with the van in the first place.

Thanks all for the advice - plenty to think about and look out for there.

Thanks also ChrisandPenny for the brochures - that answers a few questions such as was diff lock standard feature on pre-facelift 4motions? 'Yes' :cool

No problem. Be aware though that VW do update the specs on a rolling basis so there's not always a change of spec at model change. For example, one long running chestnut is that on later pre-facelift Calis the road battery charges when you hook up - but the change didn't happen on a model year change, so you can't say '07s don't and '08s do. So, best to ask specific questions if you can.

Good luck with your purchase - I envy you a 4-motion

Back