Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Member Intro

I

IvanR

Hi, just taken delivery of a new Cali Ocean, petrol auto, and I had a night out at a quiet site just to test it out. Brilliant details, especially when compared to our 13 yr old Bilbo T4 which we parted with a few weeks ago. Side furniture on Cali compared to end layout is a big difference for us but the roof is great and has more room compared to the side opening roof. Good sleep in the roof but I cheated by having a 3in memory foam matress. Another nights test next week with my wife this time. Pleased with the engine and fuel economy is as I expected even if not up to our old 174bhp diesel manual, but better than the petrol T2 and T3 we once had. Found this site looking for an awning, coming across the Comfortz panels which I am just ordering. Haven’t worked the wind out canopy legs out yet though, upward moving locking catch didn’t seem to work so I’ll have to take a closer look. No other niggles whatsoever and I am very impressed with the quality of the vehicle.

:welcome the awning legs are quite firm to unlock

Welcome Ivan, look forward to some photos! :welcome

Welcome. Don't forget as a vip you'll get a discount on your awning panels.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Welcome Ivan. We look forward to hearing all about your travels and of course the thousands of photo's you will take of your vehicle :)

Welcome Ivan. We look forward to hearing all about your travels and of course the thousands of photo's you will take of your vehicle :)
Never posted a message until this evening, other than work emails, but I have now ordered awning panels and will have something to photograph soon!

Haven’t worked the wind out canopy legs out yet though, upward moving locking catch didn’t seem to work so I’ll have to take a closer look
To lock the legs the catch moves downwards.

To lock the legs the catch moves downwards.

The catches on the legs of our new van are different from the one we were given as a temporary rental one. So even though they were probably made within a few weeks of each other, they seem to had tweaked the design. On the latest ones you have to pull the levers up which kind of jams another part inside the leg and therefore locks the leg. You seem to have to pull quite hard though and I'm wondering if I'll end up snapping one off one day! I think the point of these ones over the previous design is that the old version ended up with the lever sticking out when the legs were down. I'm guessing your ones will be the same as our new ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The catches on the legs of our new van are different from the one we were given as a temporary rental one. So even though they were probably made within a few weeks of each other, they seem to had tweaked the design. On the latest ones you have to pull the levers up which kind of jams another part inside the leg and therefore locks the leg. You seem to have to pull quite hard though and I'm wondering if I'll end up snapping one off one day! I think the point of these ones over the previous design is that the old version ended up with the lever sticking out when the legs were down. I'm guessing your ones will be the same as our new ones.

Okay, i didn´t know they had changed them. :thumb

I think the point of these ones over the previous design is that the old version ended up with the lever sticking out when the legs were down.

never noticed that even on our 1st van which was 2012

I was able to partly open the sunshade in our garage to avoid the rain and this time the legs locked after I applied a fair upwards pressure to the plastic catches. The catches stick out but the legs seem secure. When I collected the Cali last week I asked the salesman to demonstrate the awning on the showroom model as our van contents were still in plastic and the awning was untouched! Thanks.

Welcome to the club, happy travels

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks. Interesting threads on the forum- just noticed seat covers, for example but I wasn’t patient enough and am awaiting for delivery of a set!
Sorted out the stiff awning legs without damaging them and now realise that the catch stiffness was just because they were new. Catches now move fairly freely and lock properly in an upward direction. Appreciated the earlier forum advice.