Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

new member - T5 GP - 180SE 4 motion

sprout99

sprout99

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Dear All.

We have just joined the elite of wohnmobil owners after owning a T4 conversion for 4 1/2 years.
Because there are so many conversions around now. Some good, some bad we decided the only safe money was with a cali

Ours is a 2011, Toffee brown, SE, Half leather, Nav, plus many more goodies.

Already had the front springs replaced to even out the wheel arch gaps. There is a specific kit for these developed by Eibach :thumb

Looking forward to attending some meets in the futureCALI.JPG

thanks.

P.S i'm not in Holland but my IP address thinks i am

:welcome
Even out the Gap - if you check the T5 technical drawings you would see that the 'Gap' is supposed to be there. The vehicle is now " Nose Down " throwing more weight on the front suspension.

Even out the Gap - if you check the T5 technical drawings you would see that the 'Gap' is supposed to be there. The vehicle is now " Nose Down " throwing more weight on the front suspension.

but i have since loaded up the rear with 'stuff'. But thanks for your input

Welcome allong .

but i have since loaded up the rear with 'stuff'. But thanks for your input
I'm afraid that doesn't make any difference. The vehicle is designed to carry weight in the back - it is a van after all.

So what happens on a sportline van? Same springs....

Its done now and im happy

Throwing more weight on the front suspension? What sort of weight do you calculate is being added?

Throwing more weight on the front suspension? What sort of weight do you calculate is being added?
Absolutely no idea, but the vehicle is designed to carry its payload across all 4 wheel / suspensions. By just lowering the front to get rid of a perceived cosmetic difference from front to rear then the suspension geometry has been altered. What this will do to load distribution and steering / suspension geometry I have absolutely no idea and couldn’t careless. I hope the OP has informed his Insurance that the suspension has been altered from as designed, different to highering or lowering all round, and I hope that any problems only affect his vehicle and not any other vehicle sharing the road with him.
There is a reason the wheel centre to wheel arch distance is greater on the front than the rear. Why do you think that is?

Congratulations on your new van! :thumb

But what is a wohnmobil?

Absolutely no idea, but the vehicle is designed to carry its payload across all 4 wheel / suspensions. By just lowering the front to get rid of a perceived cosmetic difference from front to rear then the suspension geometry has been altered. What this will do to load distribution and steering / suspension geometry I have absolutely no idea and couldn’t careless. I hope the OP has informed his Insurance that the suspension has been altered from as designed, different to highering or lowering all round, and I hope that any problems only affect his vehicle and not any other vehicle sharing the road with him.
There is a reason the wheel centre to wheel arch distance is greater on the front than the rear. Why do you think that is?

Leaving aside question of handling change due to different suspension stiffness front vs rear, I'm struggling to understand how the the static axle weightings would change (in any significant way) just because the ride heights have been made slightly different front vs rear... or am I missing something?

Leaving aside question of handling change due to different suspension stiffness front vs rear, I'm struggling to understand how the the static axle weightings would change (in any significant way) just because the ride heights have been made slightly different front vs rear... or am I missing something?
The Load platform is no longer parallel to the road surface. So what do you think would happen.

Experiment. Ladder between 2 chairs. Heavy weight in centre. Both ends take same amount of effort to lift.
Same ladder from 1 chair to floor. Same weight in centre of ladder. Which end is easier to lift?
Now add forward momentum to a nose down rather than level carrying platform?
Then think how the same nose down platform will react under heavy braking?

Welcome that's one well polished van you have there.

The Load platform is no longer parallel to the road surface. So what do you think would happen.

Experiment. Ladder between 2 chairs. Heavy weight in centre. Both ends take same amount of effort to lift.
Same ladder from 1 chair to floor. Same weight in centre of ladder. Which end is easier to lift?
Now add forward momentum to a nose down rather than level carrying platform?
Then think how the same nose down platform will react under heavy braking?
A somewhat exaggerated analogy IMO. 20-30mm change over 3 meters is insignificant to axel loading. If anything braking could be improved due to increased forward loading.

A somewhat exaggerated analogy IMO. 20-30mm change over 3 meters is insignificant to axel loading. If anything braking could be improved due to increased forward loading.

I really don't see what is wrong. The sportline vans are sold like that.

Eibach e10-85-013-04-20 spring kit is specifically designed to deal with 1700kg axle weight and tuv approved for the 7HMA chassis.

I did my homework

Eibach e10-85-013-04-20 spring kit is specifically designed to deal with 1700kg axle weight and tuv approved for the 7HMA chassis.

I did my homework

The van drives so much better now and doesn't feel like im sailing a ship over rough seas

I did my homework
Sportline might well be sold with Lowered suspension all round, and that is fine, but the OP stated that the front was lowered only, different state of affairs, and I wasn't referring to axle loads per se, just the fact that such unilateral changes would have an impact on handling especially on a 4Motion.
You obviously know more than VW. I bow to your superior knowledge.

The van drives so much better now and doesn't feel like im sailing a ship over rough seas
Having driven almost 80,000 miles on standard height suspension I don't recognise that description at all.

Having driven almost 80,000 miles on standard height suspension I don't recognise that description at all.

everyone like different things

I don't like mushrooms but my wife does

Sportline might well be sold with Lowered suspension all round, and that is fine, but the OP stated that the front was lowered only, different state of affairs, and I wasn't referring to axle loads per se, just the fact that such unilateral changes would have an impact on handling especially on a 4Motion.
You obviously know more than VW. I bow to your superior knowledge.

:thanks

Back