Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

G

Gez Cooper

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi, I’ve just joined today. We have moved from Gloucestershire to Cornwall this year, and we want to buy a VW California to explore the county. I’m a bit unsure which model to buy and I’m still doing my research.
Any advice would be appreciated and whether I buy one “off the shelf” so to speak, or we go for a custom firm.
We are leaning towards the Ocean, and whether there’s a big difference between the T6 and T6.1 and value for money.
All our best, Gez & Sue Cooper

Basic difference between the T6 & T6.1 is in the Dashboard and level of electronics (computerisation), roof canvas (although same on later T6) plus a front face lift which isn't to everyones taste.

Engines have had an emission update with major change to the top end engine, now designated a 204, was 199 but just to confuse earlier T6 had a 204. All changes relate to Emission Standards forcing retune or redesign.

Also seems that the T6.1 has put on weight leaving less load ie your gear, carrying capacity.

T6.1 has quite a few things that were extras on T6 bundled in so difficult to compare on spec value. VW prices keep going up and up which makes it even harder to compare as to value.

Last edited:
welcome. that question depends on your budget doesn't it. your looking at a nice used T6 ocean maybe 16 17 or 18 plate around 50K. T6.1 off the shelf are on auto trader approaching 80K. take a look. also some nearly new crop up on here in the calis for sale bit.
you won't get many on here leaning towards a custom build.
i looked at this route years ago and to be honest they are just as dear in the long run. some even dearer.
good luck.

Welcome !!

We ourselves just joined last week and took delivery of our 2021 California Ocean T6.1 on Friday. Since its our first camper, no complaints on this as yet except for the fact it gets really chilly upstairs for obvious reasons :)

Welcome! If you don’t want to obviously look like an emmet / DFL, get an older van. You won’t worry about scratching it all the time on the narrow lanes and hedges either (I’m from Cornwall).