Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

D

do_pri

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi. New member from Manchester. Just got word yesterday our new Cali Coast will be delivered early January. Starting to get excited. Any tips on essentials or things you can't be without that I should buy in readiness ?

Hello and welcome aboard (you're gonna love it)!
Sliding tray in the boot, additional comfort over the mattresses and awning room - the best things you'll buy (IMHO of course...).
Anyone else..?

Hi. New member from Manchester. Just got word yesterday our new Cali Coast will be delivered early January. Starting to get excited. Any tips on essentials or things you can't be without that I should buy in readiness ?

We bought an electric hook up, but not sure how often we’ll use it. The fridge should run for 2 or 3 days without moving and it’s unlikely we’d stay on site for that long.
It is recommended that the van is plugged in once a month to fully charge the leisure batteries, if possible, so you’ll need a cable for that.

Gas bottle.

Levelling chocks - some people can’t live without them, but many have bought and never used. Same for drive away awning. Probably best to go away for a few nights before deciding.
Tie down straps for the wind out awning can give peace of mind.

Thread re pots: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/best-pot-set-to-recommend.41651/#post-536187 . We have a ridge monkey (very popular as restricts splashing) and a couple of camping pots. Other kitchen stuff: melamine plates and cups, plastic glasses, cutlery, kettle ……and don’t forget the bottle / can opener!

Ikea have some good storage solutions that perfectly fit the kitchen cupboards (Kuggis).

General agreement seems to be to travel light.

I’d recommend waiting until you’ve spent a few nights in your van until buying more than the basics, so that you know exactly how you want to use (especially storage). Cali accessories can be expensive, so best not to buy anything now that you may decide not to use.

It is recommended that the van is plugged in once a month
Do you think driving on ‘max charge’ at least once per month will do the same job?

Do you think driving on ‘max charge’ at least once per month will do the same job?
I suspect so. Take a look at the handbook as it refers to it in there.

Hello and welcome aboard (you're gonna love it)!
Sliding tray in the boot, additional comfort over the mattresses and awning room - the best things you'll buy (IMHO of course...).
Anyone else..?
thanks. we ordered the comfort mattress and are lucky that we've been given a nearly new vango awning. I will look at the sliding tray although currently have a pram to fit in the boot space so might be something for the future. x

We bought an electric hook up, but not sure how often we’ll use it. The fridge should run for 2 or 3 days without moving and it’s unlikely we’d stay on site for that long.
It is recommended that the van is plugged in once a month to fully charge the leisure batteries, if possible, so you’ll need a cable for that.

Gas bottle.

Levelling chocks - some people can’t live without them, but many have bought and never used. Same for drive away awning. Probably best to go away for a few nights before deciding.
Tie down straps for the wind out awning can give peace of mind.

Thread re pots: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/best-pot-set-to-recommend.41651/#post-536187 . We have a ridge monkey (very popular as restricts splashing) and a couple of camping pots. Other kitchen stuff: melamine plates and cups, plastic glasses, cutlery, kettle ……and don’t forget the bottle / can opener!

Ikea have some good storage solutions that perfectly fit the kitchen cupboards (Kuggis).

General agreement seems to be to travel light.

I’d recommend waiting until you’ve spent a few nights in your van until buying more than the basics, so that you know exactly how you want to use (especially storage). Cali accessories can be expensive, so best not to buy anything now that you may decide not to use.
thanks. travelling light isn't something i'm good at especially with 2 kids so might have to work on that. :)
got my hands on a starter kit that has a cable, levelling chocks, water in fill pipe and fire extinguisher.
do you use a smoke alarm or carbon monoxide detector at all, cant for the life of me remember if they come included or not?

oh yeah, fire extinguisher...
forgot to say (appreciate it's too late), but powder is almost impossible to completely remove if it goes off intentionally or otherwise...
Water mist is the one to go for - can be used on anything except commercial fat fryer fire, plus it's just water - no chemicals, no mess and doesn't saturate like a normal water one would
thanks. we ordered the comfort mattress and are lucky that we've been given a nearly new vango awning. I will look at the sliding tray although currently have a pram to fit in the boot space so might be something for the future. x

RE pram: our Baby Jogger Summit fits under the back shelf on the tray (shelf raised up to the top notch).