Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

• Thread starter Nicholas Bowers
  • Start date
N

Nicholas Bowers

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi everyone, Just got our first california T6.1 and trying to get our head round how everything works and what we need to get too improve our camping experience, we live in Wiltshire are open to suggestions.

A zillion lists and suggestions on here but play it by ear, go out a few times and get what you feel is missing. Given your location loads of sites like Glastonbury and Cheddar that are super close for a short drive and a night away to get a feel for it.

Hello,
Minimising your gear is a worthy ambition, but there are definitely some worthy additions. Top of my head useful bits include:
Boot storage organiser
Insulated cups for coffee, wine or beer
Wardrobe shelves with Packing cubes
Most importantly though - just get out in it. Don’t worry that it’s wet and cold. Getting back to your Cali after a wet walk, sitting looking out into the storm with a brew and the heating and radio on, thinking about which takeaway to drive to is one of life’s great pleasures.
Enjoy it!

Last edited:
A couple of trips and you’ll begin to get a feel for ‘the necessities’
I would however mention ‘Security’ …. we opted for a Safelock for the spare wheel (from forum shop) historically the spares were very ‘nickable’
Also a Steering wheel lock from Halfords, we got the Safelock Pro ( our van is T6, so check fit) I know this is mostly for visual deterrent but it’s just another barrier too.
Collapsible basin is useful to carry washing up when on sites and folds nicely to minimise space. Also very popular is the foldable kettle.
All the other ‘bigger purchases’ have lots of advice and debate on this forum eg ‘Porta potti’, Awnings, Waterproof seat covers, etc.
Welcome and enjoy.

:welcome
I hope you can manage to get pit in your van soon, even day trips can be educational in terms of what to take. I’d try and use as much as you have from the kitchen / bedding, and then see what you actually need.