Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T

TGTCalifornia

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Just registered to the California club. I own an 1995 T4 Westfalia but I am thinking of upgrading to a T6 Ocean not a T6.1. Could anyone confirm what year they made the T6 Ocean with the kitchen split worktop Sink/Cooker. Also does the rear bench have the option to recline at all similar to the T6.1 even if it's not as well designed for ease of use.
Thanks

Welcome. I believe both things were introduced on the 6.1.

Split worktop came in in 2017 so halfway through T6 production.

Bench recline mechanism introduced on 6.1. It works fine, although if I’m honest we don’t use it much.

Bench recline mechanism introduced on 6.1. It works fine, although if I’m honest we don’t use it much.
Ok thanks for this. Someone told me that the T6 had the option that bench back went back to 45° not the different angles that the T6.1 does. Just wanted to know if this was the case.
Thank you

I remember the bench seat recline was on our 2008 T5, the lounge feature to incline the rear portion of the downstairs bed was introduced on the 6.1...

Just checked the 2009 T5 manual in the downloads which states 3 recline positions :thumb
Screenshot_20230206_080242_OneDrive.jpg

I remember the bench seat recline was on our 2008 T5, the lounge feature to incline the rear portion of the downstairs bed was introduced on the 6.1...
Thank you

Thank you for taking the time to find this information
Re reclining seat - do you mean adjusting the position of the backrest of the bench whilst its in the sitting position? in which case all the benches from T5-T6.1 are the same, there's a couple of positions that you can have them in ranging from upright to nearly upright.

Or do you mean the rear shelf in the boot?
The boot shelf can be lifted at the back in all models, pre T6.1 it can either be flat or at about 45 degrees held up with a thin prop that has to be manually positioned from outside the van & is prone slipping & not suitable for sitting up in bed.

T6.1 introduced a new ratcheting shelf, raised & lowered by a strap from inside the van with a selection of positions, designed to be used as an adjustable backrest with the bench converted into a bed.

Re reclining seat - do you mean adjusting the position of the backrest of the bench whilst its in the sitting position? in which case all the benches from T5-T6.1 are the same, there's a couple of positions that you can have them in ranging from upright to nearly upright.

Or do you mean the rear shelf in the boot?
The boot shelf can be lifted at the back in all models, pre T6.1 it can either be flat or at about 45 degrees held up with a thin prop that has to be manually positioned from outside the van & is prone slipping & not suitable for sitting up in bed.

T6.1 introduced a new ratcheting shelf, raised & lowered by a strap from inside the van with a selection of positions, designed to be used as an adjustable backrest with the bench converted into a bed.
Thanks for this. It’s good to know the back rest of the bench can be adjusted slightly for a more comfortable relaxing position.
It was the boot shelf that I wanted to know if you could have a ‘sun lounger’ type arrangement with the bed down, like the 6.1 but it sounds like you can’t safely.
Thanks

Thanks for this. It’s good to know the back rest of the bench can be adjusted slightly for a more comfortable relaxing position.
It was the boot shelf that I wanted to know if you could have a ‘sun lounger’ type arrangement with the bed down, like the 6.1 but it sounds like you can’t safely.
Thanks
I’d just buy a few big cushions. To be honest it’s what we do, even though we’ve the adjustable board in the boot.

I’d just buy a few big cushions. To be honest it’s what we do, even though we’ve the adjustable board in the boot.
Less is more ! no room for big cushions.
I find the ratchet is pretty useful for being able to access stuff in the boot without going to the expense of buying a sliding draw.

Less is more ! no room for big cushions.
I find the ratchet is pretty useful for being able to access stuff in the boot without going to the expense of buying a sliding draw.
Agree - that’s the only time we use the inclining board.