Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New owner, new member and new to campervaning!

FoodieLoobie

FoodieLoobie

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We bought our California (and first ever campervan) in April.

We spent a long time looking at different types of vans and conversions before deciding that California just had to be the only way to go. We hired one for a few nights to try it out before taking the plunge and buying our own.

We have had a few trips away already and have been trying different options of hard standing and grass at various sites. So far we seem to prefer a grass pitch, but they are not always available. We have an air beam drive-away awning which we have used if camping for a few nights and it's definitely easier to peg out on grass. (We have not yet tried to drive away and re-park and re-connect as we tend to take bikes with us, but I'm sure we will give it a go at some point). If just staying for one night we have used the cassette awning to provide a bit of cover.

We have not tried any wild camping yet but will give it a go during the summer. Any advice on this would be welcome!

The California has to be the best vehicle we have ever bought. We have had no problems so far, it gives us such a lot of freedom to get away and be self sufficient. We love it!

Welcome on board , not many on here will disagree with your statement about the Cali ...;)

Welcome and thank you for such a positive introductory post :thumb

I feel the same, and so do most. Once bought you ask "where have you been all my life".

Wild camping Is what the Cali excels at. Lots of good threads on here for you to read.

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome

Don't forget the pictures. Have to show us your California.

Thank you for the welcome messages.
We are going away for a night at the weekend so I will take a photograph to share with you all (hopefully with the sun shining!)

Yep, we like pics.

I've decided I really like hard-standing pitches where you can line-up the side door with a grass edge for best of both worlds (I have a habit of getting stuck on grass, I'm working on my technique...)

IMG_0619.JPG

As promised, here's a picture of our Cali. We were on a site called Ashbourne Heights at Fenny Bentley in Derbyshire. From the site you can get straight on to the Tissington Trail. We cycled 30 miles, that's the furthest I have ever done in one go. I now have a few aching muscles!

View attachment 23610

As promised, here's a picture of our Cali. We were on a site called Ashbourne Heights at Fenny Bentley in Derbyshire. From the site you can get straight on to the Tissington Trail. We cycled 30 miles, that's the furthest I have ever done in one go. I now have a few aching muscles!
Your Cali looks fabulous. I remember camping at Fenny Bentley, after a lovely walk we arrived back at the site in a storm that lasted all night. That's when we decided to buy our first caravan!