Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New rear boots

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
The front tyres went on the van a little while ago (uneven tyre wear thanks to dodgy tracking from new I suspect) but have loads of tread left. The rears are very nearly worn; I stuck to Dunlop Sport 01s on the front which apparently aren't made - the replacements are Maxx something or others; not sure it's worth shelling out for "premium sports" tyres on a van but they have been okay - not too noisy, seem to resist aquaplaning pretty well but ultimate grip isn't top of my priorities in a 3 tonne van.

Any recommendations on something a little more appropriate? Cheaper wouldn't hurt but not essential. They obviously need a high load rating - 103 I think? Size in 17" 235/55.

I also have 235/ 55/ 17 (101) standard tyres on our Cali. Very disappointed with the Michelin that were fitted as standard they wore very fast on the front. Run Hankooks winter tyres same size on second set of rims. Decided to look around and research to replace the Michelin's and went for budget tyres. Now gone 2000 miles on replacement tyres and very happy with them happy with the ride breaking in the wet and in the dry. Nankang 235/ 55 /17 (103) fitted £88 each fitted. I know many people consider any makes other that the big brand not an option but at £150 plus per tyre it was more than I wanted to pay. Given how I drive (go around corners on 4 wheels not 2)and how many split side walls and un-repairable punctures I have had in the last 5 years due to our roads I have gone with Nankang tyre
http://www.nankangtyre.co.uk/

I have fitted Firenza ST08 which were £110 each fitted. Half price of good year sport 01. They will do over half the mileage of the original Good Years. They are a bit noisier but grip OK.

I wore through the OE Dunlops (Sport Maxx TT) fast - like you I suspect tracking from new as the insides fronts wore out. The rear wore evenly but weren't far behind.

I went (in a rush as inside fronts had gone to the carcass) for Kuhmos. They were about £120 fitted. They ran extremely smoothly and performed well but I think they have a reputation for being soft. I can't comment on wear as I changed the wheels for 18" soon after.

With a bit more time to research I have now gone for Hankooks. They have a very good reputation but come in at a mid-range price. They've done well so far but only 2000 miles in so can't give any info on wear yet.

Hankooks do get some very good write ups - definitely a brand to consider.

Back