New starter battery - do they need recoding?

Melanie Day

Melanie Day

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 102
We have a 2.0 petrol California beach T6.1 with stop start and are thinking of replacing the starter battery?

Is this a simple swap in and out or is there some recoding?

Any recommendations on batteries?
Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

If its the same capacity and brand then you could just replace it , ideally would be good to tell vehicle there is a new battery though.

Can I ask why do you need a new battery? Mine been with the van since birth in 2012?

We have a 2.0 petrol California beach T6.1 with stop start and are thinking of replacing the starter battery?

Is this a simple swap in and out or is there some recoding?

Any recommendations on batteries?
Thanks

Order supply & fit at home via AA/RAC; they will also test old one & recode new one (if necessary). Plus If the battery doesn't actually need replacing they will refund you.

Last edited:
In theory they need coding but I have read that they will self code after a period of time running on the road. Also read that coding merely serves as a record to time that battery was fitted for VW warranty purposes.

I recoded mine with Carista by changing the Ah from 75, old battery, to 80AH (new battery) plus changing the serial number from a row of 1's to 2 as the last digit. No problems after 1,000 miles. Same make. Varta, battery fitted as original.

I got my battery from Tanya who have the option of having it fitted by a local Agent.
My costing from the RAC was about £300 more than I paid.

Varta A6 Silver Dynamic AGM 110 car Battery 12V 80AH -- £155.36 delivered.

That's for a Diesel, Petrol may be lower AH rating.

Last edited:
If its the same capacity and brand then you could just replace it , ideally would be good to tell vehicle there is a new battery though.
Yes you can just swap the battery, but the battery management system will still think you have the old battery in place, and will adjust the charging according to the old battery. In that case the new battery will not be charged correctly and will not last as long as the original battery.

Can I ask why do you need a new battery? Mine been with the van since birth in 2012?
Would be my question too, as I only changed my starter battery in november 2023. My van is of factory date november 2009.

Would be my question too, as I only changed my starter battery in november 2023. My van is of factory date november 2009.
My other half has been checking our battery using the voltage meter thing and thinks it might be wise to get a new one before we start to get any problems.

He has had larger work vans that had battery problems in the past so doesn't want the same with our Cali.

It's your choice whether you change it now or later. But in the end, it's better to be safe than sorry.
A decent lifespan of a starter battery is about 6 years. So if your van is 6 years or older, it's definately no shame to change the battery.

It's your choice whether you change it now or later. But in the end, it's better to be safe than sorry.
A decent lifespan of a starter battery is about 6 years. So if your van is 6 years or older, it's definately no shame to change the battery.
It is a 67 plate so 2017 so we are hitting that period of decent lifespan.

I started feeling a starting power loss when the van was about 10 years old. Then I started putting the van on EHU every weekend. This kept the starter battery alive for 4 years after that. With the beginning of the winter last year, even after charging it for a weekend, the battery started to fade again, and then I decided to change the battery before it went alle dead.
But as I said, it's your choice, and you will never regret when you change that battery before you get in trouble.
Just make sure you recode your battery management system after the change of the battery.

Yes you can just swap the battery, but the battery management system will still think you have the old battery in place, and will adjust the charging according to the old battery. In that case the new battery will not be charged correctly and will not last as long as the original battery.
Exactly my point

Just replaced my original Golf stop/start battery after 8 years and 100,000 miles. Not bad going.

Back