Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T4 Cali Owner

G

Gooner

Vehicle
Looking to buy
hello....

my wife and I have decided on a T4. we c owned t5's but the budget won't v stretch now we have two kids... we are looking to a westfalia hightop 4 berth cali exclusive ... the lwb. not used to older vehicles. there seems to be a wide range of prices and conditions.....anyanything I need to look for. one I have seen has electrical issues....should I avoid?

They are great vans. Rather heavier to drive than your T5s but great camping vehicle. Spares are hard to get for the camping side.....bike racks, windows in particular.
Try and get one that’s not had the interior ‘improved’. As governments find out, its much easier to mess things up than to improve them and the original ones, as they left the factory, will always be the best buys.

Wheel arch repairs due to rusting can be expensive. Check for rust all around the windscreen.

Welcome allong , quite a few T4 fans on the forum who can give you tips ...in mint condition the prices are high on the mainland also .

thanks.....I have seen one with electrical issues.....good price and one without not good price...... trouble is I don't know the market is 10k for one worn 150 thousand miles about right? is does the piece is strong come out.....

trouble is I don't know the market is 10k for one worn 150 thousand miles about right?
£10k is very cheap for an exclusive. If you are happy with the work required it could be good.

Do check the rear 'tailgate' is not damaged. It's actually a solid panel, only opens at the bottom. Impossible to replace AFAIK if damaged. Floor area in the loo area can get very soft.... Thought to be from the small opening hatch in the rear, or the the basin tap running.
Look for a good seal between the 'tailgate' panel and the body, also the roof and the body.
There is a 180+ page thread on the T4 forum where most of the collective expertise is collected.

many thanks...yup i have been reading but there is so much information sometimes you can't see what you think you may need to know. The first thing i have realised that I have been looking at A T4 California Club, not an Exclusive! That shows the level of ignorance you dealing with! I appreciate your cllective patience....
An exclusive has just shown up on Ebay this morning for £18K...

Hi, welcome to the club...
In my experience, Germany has the best pick of the bunch, take a look at mobile.de:

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/...st=true&lang=en&ms=25200;33&sfmr=false&vc=Car

As mentioned above, the good ones will command a higher price, but there will be gems to be found. I would though err on the side of caution in the case of 'cheap'.
I would also focus, touched upon above, on the interior. The van's basic's shell, running gear and engine will be 'easy' to get fixed and parts found, but the camping interior parts are getting harder and harder to find.

The key area's to look for will be in the fridge, water/gas supply/waste all working correctly. If installed, check the night heater functions as it should. These are the main areas of expense if they're not working. The charger unit can be replaced with an upgrade for around £200 and so is not so critical. General condition of the furniture should be checked as replacement parts for these are becoming rare as rocking horse poo.

To save repeating, there are many good posts to check in the T4 section of this forum with lots of detailed info on what to look for and also how to check for 'fake' vans (T4s fitted with an original Westfalia interior - not terrible in itself, but don't over-pay for a non-original - also could indicate a dodgy past...). The subject of what to look for is well documented on here...

I recommend doing your homework, taking your time and holding out for the right one for you. If you have the chance to spend a week or long weekend in Germany (or wherever you find a good choice) to visit as many as you can (we managed to see over 10 in one weekend in the region around Stuttgart for example). You will then be able to build a clear picture of what's possible for your budget and what to look for. Familiarise yourself with how the camping elements work and check everything for working condition in each van you see - if you haven't used one of these vans before, maybe ask an owner if they would mind showing you around, then you won't be fobbed off by a seller if something isn't working as it should. I wouldn't imagine many owners would mind giving a tour of their pride and joy ;-)

One last point for now, if you're planning on importing, be sure to do your homework on the process before heading off, also maybe Brexit could have an effect on that, but who knows...

Good luck!

many thanks...yup i have been reading but there is so much information sometimes you can't see what you think you may need to know. The first thing i have realised that I have been looking at A T4 California Club, not an Exclusive! That shows the level of ignorance you dealing with! I appreciate your cllective patience....
An exclusive has just shown up on Ebay this morning for £18K...
Hi. The club is a good layout. The main problem is they are earlier so lack the power of the later engines fitted to the exclusive (which still are a little breathless) compared to many T5s

The one on eBay is very expensive for the year (95) and the engine (2.4).

You’d be hoping for a 99 (therefore with a long nose) with a 2.5 tdi engine for that sort of money, and hopefully not in white.

Hi, welcome to the club...
In my experience, Germany has the best pick of the bunch, take a look at mobile.de:

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/...st=true&lang=en&ms=25200;33&sfmr=false&vc=Car

As mentioned above, the good ones will command a higher price, but there will be gems to be found. I would though err on the side of caution in the case of 'cheap'.
I would also focus, touched upon above, on the interior. The van's basic's shell, running gear and engine will be 'easy' to get fixed and parts found, but the camping interior parts are getting harder and harder to find.

The key area's to look for will be in the fridge, water/gas supply/waste all working correctly. If installed, check the night heater functions as it should. These are the main areas of expense if they're not working. The charger unit can be replaced with an upgrade for around £200 and so is not so critical. General condition of the furniture should be checked as replacement parts for these are becoming rare as rocking horse poo.

To save repeating, there are many good posts to check in the T4 section of this forum with lots of detailed info on what to look for and also how to check for 'fake' vans (T4s fitted with an original Westfalia interior - not terrible in itself, but don't over-pay for a non-original - also could indicate a dodgy past...). The subject of what to look for is well documented on here...

I recommend doing your homework, taking your time and holding out for the right one for you. If you have the chance to spend a week or long weekend in Germany (or wherever you find a good choice) to visit as many as you can (we managed to see over 10 in one weekend in the region around Stuttgart for example). You will then be able to build a clear picture of what's possible for your budget and what to look for. Familiarise yourself with how the camping elements work and check everything for working condition in each van you see - if you haven't used one of these vans before, maybe ask an owner if they would mind showing you around, then you won't be fobbed off by a seller if something isn't working as it should. I wouldn't imagine many owners would mind giving a tour of their pride and joy ;-)

One last point for now, if you're planning on importing, be sure to do your homework on the process before heading off, also maybe boris bike could have an effect on that, but who knows...

Good luck!

many thanks ...very good advice. they appear much more expensive in Germany even more so with Boris et el putting their Euros worth in! Going to look at one next week on the south coast...i hope i done buy it!

The one on eBay is very expensive for the year (95) and the engine (2.4).

You’d be hoping for a 99 (therefore with a long nose) with a 2.5 tdi engine for that sort of money, and hopefully not in white.

it does seem like they start the price high and then wait to see what happens...but glad that you suggested it was a bit overcooked as this helps me build a picture......
thank you

Hi. The club is a good layout. The main problem is they are earlier so lack the power of the later engines fitted to the exclusive (which still are a little breathless) compared to many T5s

ok....i think with 10k the exclusive will prove elusive ....but its not a van we want to rush about in....infact the opposite (unless you look like you will miss the ferry)
thank you
i am going to look at the club on Ebay next week.....its a blue one...

thanks to all that have replied with good solid advice, sharing their long built up knowledge....totally brilliant and i feel much better armed than a couple of days back......i would like to have one on place for spring.....

I have a 2002 techno blue California Exclusive (115k mls) which I'm looking to sell for right price which sounds like it may be more than you're looking to spend if you're still interested.

I have a 2002 techno blue California Exclusive (115k mls) which I'm looking to sell for right price which sounds like it may be more than you're looking to spend if you're still interested.
Hey @chuggertwo send me a text on 07734 680692 please

Did you ever sell this?

Looking to buy, no budget restraints on the right one.

Blimey! Apr 19?

Back