Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 Cali - To wait or not?

U

ubercali

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all,

Sorry for my first post 'taking' rather than 'giving' but I was fairly close to ordering due to some uber discounts available at the moment (15%) on the current model; but then I saw the T6.1 reveal!

I'm torn between waiting which will (at least in the short term) offer better residuals and the latest spec.

or

Picking up a bargain T6 - I've been quoted £53.2k for a Cali Ocean with a decent spec (apart from standard paint)
DSG 150bhp
Adaptive Cruise Control ACC
4 Remote Folding Keys -
LED Headlights / DRL / Tailgate
Parking Sensors - Front and Rear
Privacy Glass with Heat Insulation
1 Swivel Seat / Rail Adjustment
Kitchen Cupboard-Wardrobe / Outdoor Shower Connection

My hunch is that the residual value drop won't be as much as the additional saving I'm getting ?

I just wondered where the wisdom was on this forum?

Yours Boggled of Bristol ;-)

Hi all,

Sorry for my first post 'taking' rather than 'giving' but I was fairly close to ordering due to some uber discounts available at the moment (15%) on the current model; but then I saw the T6.1 reveal!

I'm torn between waiting which will (at least in the short term) offer better residuals and the latest spec.

or

Picking up a bargain T6 - I've been quoted £53.2k for a Cali Ocean with a decent spec (apart from standard paint)
DSG 150bhp
4 Remote Folding Keys -

My hunch is that the residual value drop won't be as much as the additional saving I'm getting ?

Buy the T6, learn from it, see how much the 6.1 is and what options are available sell the T6 in 18 months and order the 6.1 create a list of your dream van based on what the T6 has taught you, best of both.

think someone said order book now closed for new Cali's until T6.1 comes out so you may have answered your own ? unless some dealers have own spec van orders already in the pipeline.

Buy the T6, learn from it, see how much the 6.1 is and what options are available sell the T6 in 18 months and order the 6.1 create a list of your dream van based on what the T6 has taught you, best of both.
think someone said order book now closed for new Cali's until T6.1 comes out so you may have answered your own ? unless some dealers have own spec van orders already in the pipeline.
Reading the OPs post it looks like its a pre reg or stock.

Hi all,

or

DSG 150bhp
4 Remote Folding Keys -

Forgot to add if the 6.1 costs sky rocket which may happen with the B word and or the new spec pushing the price up, putting them out of reach of mere mortals, then you will already have a nice van. Also if that does happen residuals will be strong on late T6s.

Hi all,

or

DSG 150bhp
4 Remote Folding Keys -

I’d be buying that t6 ocean pretty quick ...that’s good money ...if you look on vw site the t6 oceans are pretty pricey because they know that there’s not many left (only a couple of pages compared to about 10 pages a few months ago) that’s a bargain not only that you can not order a 6.1 until the end of October apparently and after that you’re going to wait about 12to16 weeks for delivery?
You can be away camping in a couple of weeks.

Hi all,

or

DSG 150bhp
4 Remote Folding Keys -

Why only 1 swivel seat or is that a 5th seat?

Tend to agree. Buy now as it’s a good price.

I tend to like the latest thing, but given the rumours on where the pricing will go to I think the above suggestion of being able to trade up later is sound advice.

Get the T6 bought whilst you can. Once they are gone, that’s it. I actually think prices of the last examples (if bought with big discounts) will nudge up once all sold.

Is that price on the road or subject to the first year VED?

I understand that OTR and RFL are also being paid by VW at the moment. This is on top of the usual Discount and the Deposit Contribution if you take out the finance.

I'm tempted again myself! I love a change but after a play around on the configurator, my preferred spec for a new Beach was over 61k! This is only on Stock Cali's though, to be registered by month end.

End of Sept is always the best time to buy.

Get the discount and as said above the deposit contribution also PCP, get the discount then pay off ASAP to avoid interest if you can.

Hi all,
I would wait for T6.1, which will remain the maximum evolution in California as we know it today (the T7 will have 1.1 cubic meters less capacity). Especially in view of keeping it for many years ...

Hi all,

or

DSG 150bhp
4 Remote Folding Keys -

Having seen the T6.1 at the Düsseldorf show last week I would definitely wait and get the new model
No radical changes but detailed improvements in all areas
You will still get up to 14% discount off the new model by shopping around
Residuals are bound to be higher and the vehicle easier to sell should you wish

You will still get up to 14% discount off the new model by shopping around
I’m not sure what you are basing that on? Discounts have tended to average about 7 or 8 % over the life of the Cali, they increase over the average as models fade out, and decrease under that average as new models arrives. If you know different, I’d love to hear your logic.

Hi all,
I would wait for T6.1, which will remain the maximum evolution in California as we know it today (the T7 will have 1.1 cubic meters less capacity). Especially in view of keeping it for many years ...
Yes, you have a point there Carlo.
The T7 could be the beginning of the end of life
with a full tank of diesel as we know it.

I’m not sure what you are basing that on? Discounts have tended to average about 7 or 8 % over the life of the Cali, they increase over the average as models fade out, and decrease under that average as new models arrives. If you know different, I’d love to hear your logic.
14 or 15 % off new easily obtained from dealers on new calis
Ring sround
Also car wow sometimes have great prices
Yes, you have a point there Carlo.
The T7 could be the beginning of the end of life
with a full tank of diesel as we know it.
You can wait for the new electric “ Bulli”
Campervan

14 or 15 % off new easily obtained from dealers on new calis
Ring sround
Also car wow sometimes have great prices

You can wait for the new electric “ Bulli”
Campervan
Yes I know big discounts are currently available. You seem determined to imply that a 6.1 is going to cost only a little more than a 6 (in 2 separate posts). My total point is that list prices will increase by 5% and the current discounts will fall from the current end of line 15% to a below average 5%. The result will be that a 6.1 will be 15% more expensive than an end of line 6...the exact opposite of what you seem to be suggesting.

Yes I know big discounts are currently available. You seem determined to imply that a 6.1 is going to cost only a little more than a 6 (in 2 separate posts). My total point is that list prices will increase by 5% and the current discounts will fall from the current end of line 15% to a below average 5%. The result will be that a 6.1 will be 15% more expensive than an end of line 6...the exact opposite of what you seem to be suggesting.
Sorry to disagree but high discounts will be available as on all new cars
Buy a t6 if that’s what you want

Sorry to disagree but high discounts will be available as on all new cars
Buy a t6 if that’s what you want
I have one!
Just for clarity, you are suggesting that the current levels of discount will be maintained when the 6.1 order book opens? Wow.

I have one!
Just for clarity, you are suggesting that the current levels of discount will be maintained when the 6.1 order book opens? Wow.
Give it a few months when plenty of stock available and you truly will get discounts
Dealers have order display stock and let’s remember that even after discounts the California is a very high ticket vehicle selling in a very limited market sector
Good luck with your planned purchase and hope you get as much pleasure out of the Cali
As we all do

The 6.1 is still a 6 with a shiny new front end that’s not as nice as the old one in my opinion.....apart from that there’s a few different latches and textures inside nothing to go wild about and that will justify a price increase yet it will be more expensive.....
The dash is ok but so is the 6,,,,I think there will be nothing near the discounts available on the 6 ...and being a run out model it’s definitely a good buy.
This will be cali number 6 for us and in reality it’s still the same shape as it was in 2006 ;) when they we’re 30k

The 6.1 is still a 6 with a shiny new front end that’s not as nice as the old one in my opinion.....apart from that there’s a few different latches and textures inside nothing to go wild about and that will justify a price increase yet it will be more expensive.....
The dash is ok but so is the 6,,,,I think there will be nothing near the discounts available on the 6 ...and being a run out model it’s definitely a good buy.
This will be cali number 6 for us and in reality it’s still the same shape as it was in 2006 ;) when they we’re 30k
Make your own choice... happy days

Make your own choice... happy days
That’s what it’s all about choice !!!!
Definitely....
U pays your money and makes your choice.
Everybody’s different.
figure this in 12yrs it’s almost doubled in price for the same shape California at the end of the day.
(yep different bits) but nothing life changing.
So chasing the latest model can become expensive.we ordered our replacement van at 3pm on the 3rd of September the very last day you could order a 6
No regrets

Back