Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New to forum

H

Hueyhew

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi, I’m new to posting but have read a great deal of useful information as I’m looking to replace my car with a cali, it will only be used for longer runs and towing as we have a small car for the rest. I’m looking at a DSG late T5 or early T6 and will be towing on occasion our caravan. I have read about the EGR cooler issues on the 180 but I think for towing I may need the extra torque rather than the 150 although it seems the more reliable engine. I also understand chipping these gives very minimal improvements.

I would like to pick the brains of the experts on the forum as it not clear to me how I can ensure that a 180 does not have an issue that could cost around £10k to fix, even if the cooler has been replaced. I could ask to have an inspection on a prospective cali where the oil was sampled and possibly compression checked that would along with a full service history help to alleviate my concerns. I appreciate thinks go wrong in vehicles but after spending +£45- 55k on a cali I cant afford this kind of additional expense.

An early T6 may be affordable and again I’ll be looking at the more powerful version. Does this use the same poor design of egr cooler used on the earlier models albeit with the “coating” which just buys VW time and doesnt fix the issue.

Are there any other major issues to look for, I’m aware of the importance of regular fluid changes (gbox, eng, anti freeze and brake fluid) and the normal cam belt water pump.

Any help from the the very knowledge forum members would be a great help to guide me.

Hi, I’m new to posting but have read a great deal of useful information as I’m looking to replace my car with a cali, it will only be used for longer runs and towing as we have a small car for the rest. I’m looking at a DSG late T5 or early T6 and will be towing on occasion our caravan. I have read about the EGR cooler issues on the 180 but I think for towing I may need the extra torque rather than the 150 although it seems the more reliable engine. I also understand chipping these gives very minimal improvements.

I would like to pick the brains of the experts on the forum as it not clear to me how I can ensure that a 180 does not have an issue that could cost around £10k to fix, even if the cooler has been replaced. I could ask to have an inspection on a prospective cali where the oil was sampled and possibly compression checked that would along with a full service history help to alleviate my concerns. I appreciate thinks go wrong in vehicles but after spending +£45- 55k on a cali I cant afford this kind of additional expense.

An early T6 may be affordable and again I’ll be looking at the more powerful version. Does this use the same poor design of egr cooler used on the earlier models albeit with the “coating” which just buys VW time and doesnt fix the issue.

Are there any other major issues to look for, I’m aware of the importance of regular fluid changes (gbox, eng, anti freeze and brake fluid) and the normal cam belt water pump.

Any help from the the very knowledge forum members would be a great help to guide me.
Yes, the T6 204 can be affected.

No one has been able to say if the EGR is the cause or a symptom. Only a minority of vehicles are affected compared to the numbers sold and you will only hear of the problematic ones.

Yes, the T6 204 can be affected.

No one has been able to say if the EGR is the cause or a symptom. Only a minority of vehicles are affected compared to the numbers sold and you will only hear of the problematic ones.
Thanks for the link, hmm so that suggests maybe newer ones post 2019 might not be effected? Did something change ie new engine or EGR cooler design? I assumed probably incorrectly when they became T6 it was a different engine. I just don't want to me in that minority, so if I go for the 150 will all the really expensive issue dissolve away or does that hat it's fair share.

If I go for newish high bhp do they still suffer from the same issues?

Sorry for all the questions....

Thanks for the link, hmm so that suggests maybe newer ones post 2019 might not be effected? Did something change ie new engine or EGR cooler design? I assumed probably incorrectly when they became T6 it was a different engine. I just don't want to me in that minority, so if I go for the 150 will all the really expensive issue dissolve away or does that hat it's fair share.

If I go for newish high bhp do they still suffer from the same issues?

Sorry for all the questions....
Sorry. I have no idea. 2nd hand vehicles can be problematic, all depends why they are being sold. I have a 2014 180 biturbo, now on 125,000 miles. 0mls oil consumption between oil changes, but it is used virtually everyday. Personally I steer clear of very low milage vehicles as they seem to have more problems.
The 150 can be remapped and for towing the important factor is Torque not bhp.

for towing the important factor is Torque not bhp
I've never towed with my 150, and wonder if the extra 110Nm will be important, depends what youre towing perhaps.
1697558859900.png

Pendle could probably remap them :)

Welcome to the forum

Sorry. I have no idea. 2nd hand vehicles can be problematic, all depends why they are being sold. I have a 2014 180 biturbo, now on 125,000 miles. 0mls oil consumption between oil changes, but it is used virtually everyday. Personally I steer clear of very low milage vehicles as they seem to have more problems.
The 150 can be remapped and for towing the important factor is Torque not bhp.
Thanks, appreciate the torque is what to concentrate on for towing.

I've never towed with my 150, and wonder if the extra 110Nm will be important, depends what youre towing perhaps.
View attachment 115593
I’ll be towing a 1500kg caravan, well within the published capability. I have towed with a cali 150 demo van, it was OK, just needed to be worked a bit harder than I was expecting. Would like try a 204 but suspect I’ll not find one I can test tow.

Thanks, I’ll have a look.
Revo has a strong following on the T6 forum.

When you say shocking fuel consumption what are you getting towing v solo.

I have tested many car and caravans and typically a car that is easily capable of 45-55mpg gets 25-30 towing on a motorway run. Mpv/ vans and large suv's may fair a bit better due to the large whole they punch through the air but their solo fuel use is normally higher.

Back