Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New to the club - just bought a Cali Freestyle

C

CB55

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi,
I have been looking at a range of LHD T3, T4 and T5 Calis. I am totally new to the camper world, but after looking at one yesterday at Busfest, I pulled the trigger. It was recently listed on EBay - really low mileage of 58K with great history and loving owners since 2006.
I was impressed with the 2+ hour drive back - engine really responsive. I will hopefully be off to Italy in it later this year to give it a real run.
It is in such good condition, I don't have a immediate list of snags to fix. However, there is always a list of things to buy!
Any suggestions/tips welcomed.
Top of the list is a modern head unit - looking on here there was a recommendation for the Alpine Halo 9. I will want to add the reversing camera - any tips or links re running the wires and fitment?
Has anybody retrofitted reversing sensors?
I had looked at the solar panel options for T5, but they have the runners? Has anyone added solar panels - which ones/supplier?
Lastly, security options? Which are best for insurance? I have a pedal lock for my old Defender - anyone use that type of device?
TIA
Chris

Great choice. Love the late T4 Cali's. Is yours the 102 or 150 engine?
When I was in those vans I preferred the original VW stereo and a small Bluetooth adapter that plugged into the cd changer socket on the rear if the unit. It's a bit clunky and no good for phone calls (as no mic), but great for streaming holiday tunes and podcasts.
If you fancy staying OEM, don't dismiss those little FM Bluetooth transmitters that plug in the cigarette socket. They have come on a lot and the one in my Ducato works very well indeed.

There's not many T4 owners here but there are some and you'll find lots of info in the T4 section of the forum. There's also a good Westfalia camper group on Facebook.

The Alpine Halo 9 is stunning (particularly the DC version as it has Park 4 Night database and Sat Nav on Hard drive so doesn't require phone data to work).
I installed one in our old T6, and have just re-installed it in our new van, along with a reversing camera.
I have investigated reversing sensors, we had them on the beach but haven't bothered yet as the camera is good enough without them. Do you intend to run the camera cabling inside van or underneath?

Great choice. Love the late T4 Cali's. Is yours the 102 or 150 engine?
When I was in those vans I preferred the original VW stereo and a small Bluetooth adapter that plugged into the cd changer socket on the rear if the unit. It's a bit clunky and no good for phone calls (as no mic), but great for streaming holiday tunes and podcasts.
If you fancy staying OEM, don't dismiss those little FM Bluetooth transmitters that plug in the cigarette socket. They have come on a lot and the one in my Ducato works very well indeed.

There's not many T4 owners here but there are some and you'll find lots of info in the T4 section of the forum. There's also a good Westfalia camper group on Facebook.
Thanks - it is the 102, but really surprised with it's pulling power. Yes, it was just me in an unloaded camper, but it's never going to be carrying more than 2 people. I will also look at remapping.
I have installed Bluetooth adapters in the past and TBH I'm not that bothered about maintaining original looks but will ensure it can be reverted to original for future owners - if I ever sell it!

The Alpine Halo 9 is stunning (particularly the DC version as it has Park 4 Night database and Sat Nav on Hard drive so doesn't require phone data to work).
I installed one in our old T6, and have just re-installed it in our new van, along with a reversing camera.
I have investigated reversing sensors, we had them on the beach but haven't bothered yet as the camera is good enough without them. Do you intend to run the camera cabling inside van or underneath?
I was hoping that the camera would allow me to dispense with sensors. I was thinking it would be easier to run the wires underneath. I have a 2 post lift, so access won't be a problem

I was hoping that the camera would allow me to dispense with sensors. I was thinking it would be easier to run the wires underneath. I have a 2 post lift, so access won't be a problem
The halo 9 thru an expansion box run 4 cameras so you could have front and sides as well. Do you steering wheel controls? If not installation would be relatively simple, any pal 12v camera will work, NTSC resolution is sh1t

Here is the link to the Westfalia group I mentioned on Facebook. Knowledgeable crowd on T4s. Link does seem to work despite generic look of it.

The halo 9 thru an expansion box run 4 cameras so you could have front and sides as well. Do you steering wheel controls? If not installation would be relatively simple, any pal 12v camera will work, NTSC resolution is sh1t
No steering wheel controls - thanks for tip.

Back